“Very Nice Hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Cresskill, New Jersey
“Very Nice Hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Booked three nights through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts.

We booked an Executive King and were advised at check in that we were upgraded to a Symphony Suite. While the room was comfortable, it was very cluttered. Lots of heavy furniture to maneuver around. We arrived at night so the curtains in the room were drawn. In the morning we saw that the windows face into a brick wall. The Executive King we booked had a city view. I'm really not sure if this is an upgrade. I think it would have been nice to mention brick wall view at check in.

Also regarding check in, the person who registers you at the hotel is also the bell-hop to bring your bags to the room. We were checked in by a nice, young lady who didn't weight more than 100 pounds. I felt odd having her lug our bags up and set them up in the room. Is this sexist on my part, or just gentlemanly?

Breakfast was included in our rate, but only $12 per day, per person. So each morning we went $20 over. Breakfast included?

Having mentioned these rather minor items, we absolutely enjoyed our stay and would come back to The Heathman anytime.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Dear 75xyr,
It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and will come back to be our guests again. I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. When you make reservations for your next visit we can note that you would like to be in the Executive King room and we will not change this. Typically the Symphony Suite is an upgrade as it is a larger room, but some guests do prefer the Executive King rooms over these rooms for their location.
I would be happy to discuss the other items further with you. You can contact me at lreagan@heathmanhotel.com or 503-241-4100.
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

Linda Reagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed there for work, the corprate rate got me a small room with a bad view but no less in service. Also, they have a french press in the room, which I learned to use.

They have nightly turn down with free bottles of water which is a great touch.

I did not partake in High Tea etc, but happened upon the Librarian while I was using Boarding pass Kiosk, she was great and I got a private tour.

Great room service, and food was fantastic!!!

I loved this hotel, I felt like I got 6 star service for my corprate rate.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear BucklesTX,
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the service here at the Heathman. We have an excellent staff who truly love their jobs and our guests. I am sorry to hear you were not completely happy with your room. We have rooms of all sizes and shapes, please ask on your next stay and we can show you a few. I feel confident we can find one that you will be comfortable. I am glad you received a tour of our library. It is so unique. We will see you when you make a trip to Portland again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

I love this hotel. It is convenient to great restaurants, the Portland Art Museum, the symphony hall, and other attractions downtown. They have a lending library for guests stocked with books signed by the authors that they thoughtfully purchase in advance of the guest/authors' stay (they did this to me, placing the book in my room and asking me to sign it for them). The service, amenities (such as an iPod dock clock radio with fine sound), comfy pillows, and atmosphere (the hotel is filled with fine, real art, and they have an app with an audio tour) are all great. As is the artisan chocolate shop off the lobby. .

Dear Yamachaser,
I am so honored to get a review by one of our wonderful authors. We are happy we could add your book to our special collection. It is nice to hear you had a chance to enjoy the fine art we are so lucky to display in our hotel. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future.

Best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

I've stayed twice ad it is great. The hotel has great charm. The rooms are nice sizes and very clean. The stay is very friendly and te breakfast is very good. Also, good location in the center of the city.

Dear livinginlondon1344,
It is great to hear you enjoyed the hotel so much. We can’t wait to have you back as our guest the next time you are in Portland.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Heathman in mid September after winning a bid on priceline. Overall, I can say I was pleased as the priceline bid was half the price that the Heathman was publishing. Location is wonderful and you are close to everything. We did not try the restaurant/bar area. As we are in our younger 30's, there definitely was an older crowd/vibe. However, the menu looked fabulous - perfect for all of the foodies out there. We simply did not have time to try it out.

The chocolate shop next door - Cacao was wonderful. Perfect place to pick up a little gift/souvenier to take home.

We neded up getting upgraded to one of their suites with a music theme. Although the upgrade and additional space was nice, it only had a murphy bed. The 'bedroom' portion of the suite was blocked off and I assume sold to another person. While we loved the suite, sleeping 3 nights in a murphy bed really isn't the most comfortable (are any murphy beds comfortable?).

Staff was great and attentive to your every need. This definitely sets this hotel apart from other hotes I have stayed at. I found the bell hops to be the most informed about where to go and what to see.

Lastly, there isn't a lot of quick late night places to go near around. We had to walk a mile to get to the closest bar/restaurant serving late night food. Most delivery places stopped delivering around 9-10. Something to keep in mind.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Heathman to others as a great place to stay with a definite unique charm and excellent customer service.

Room Tip: The themed suites are wonderful and unlike any other hotel room. Ask if any upgrades are available!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Katyjoy32,
It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed our themed suite. There are 4 new suites and they are beautiful. Each one is unique and comfortable. I hope when you stay next time you can stay in one of the other suites. Also we have toppers to place on the bed if you like a softer bed. Please inquire when you make your next reservation. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

After reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor my husband and I decided to book The Heathman Hotel for our 4 night getaway. Everything about the hotel was perfect from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out everyone was friendly and professional. We stayed in one of the Symphony suites and were very please with the size of the room, the tasteful decor, the comfort of the bed and all the nice amenities from the robes to the extra large towels. I especially liked having a large bathroom vanity for all my make-up needs plus a second small vanity for my husband. We had breakfast several times in the restaurant and enjoyed their bistro menu and free entertainment at the lounge.
The location is also wonderful, only a couple of blocks from Pioneer Square and walking distance from the river front, Farmer's Market and lots of good shopping.
I would highly recommend this hotel to any one going to Portland.

Room Tip: The difference in price between a room and the symphony suite is not huge and in my opinion well wor...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Claucat,
It is so wonderful to hear you and your husband had such a nice stay. I am glad you enjoyed the staff, your room and the amenities. The live jazz in the tea court is a nice treat, the music is great and it is so cozy in the tea court. I am so happy you were able to join us for this event. Live jazz is offered Tuesday – Saturday nights. I look forward to having you as our guest soon and thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review.

Best regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I have stayed at The Heathman in Portland consistently for the past 3 years, for both business and pleasure. Have had great stays in the past and wonderful service. Not last night. I checked into a room with a king sized bed that was big enough just for the bed. Tiny room, tiny bathroom. Clearly a hotel meant for hanging out downstairs in bar where there's more room. Had some drinks and dinner, went to bed. At 6AM this morning, the man in the room next to us started screaming on his phone non-stop for two hours. I called the front desk and asked them to please ask him to be more respectful of neighboring rooms, especially as such an early time of day. I was told they" would investigate and go from there." Nothing happened. He continued to scream and I never got the sleep in I was looking forward to. Before leaving, I decided to have lunch at the hotel. When I went to pay, I gave my waiter the valet ticket for car and asked if he could please help me get my car, he said yes. He returned with my valet ticket and a charge of $8 added to my lunch bill for valet. Having stayed in hotel, I was already charged $30 for valet. I explained this to the waiter and he barked at me: you didn't tell me that! And stormed off. He returned with a new bill without the $8 charge, then asked if I still wanted him to "fetch the car". Fetch? Not a word I did nor would ever use. I spent $250 on a room, $300 on meals and cocktails and $30 for parking to sleep in a closet, be woken up at 6AM and barked at by a passive aggressive, but mostly aggressive waiter. I used to love you Heathman Hotel of Portland, OR but you lost a at one time loyal patron. And gained a terrible review.

7 Thank nightrider2000
Dear Nightrider2000,
I am so sorry to hear about your most recent experience here at the Heathman Hotel. I apologize for the noisy neighbors during your stay and for the communication mix up retrieving your vehicle. I would love the chance to discuss these incidents with you personally. Please contact me at lreagan@heathmanhotel.com or call the hotel at your earliest convenience (503-241-4100). It sounds like you had many great stays over the past 3 years, I am sad to hear this most recent experience will detour you from being our guest. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.