“Quality rooms and amenities, disappointed in customer service.”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #24 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
USA
“Quality rooms and amenities, disappointed in customer service.”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We went to Portland for a special occasion and called The Heathman - and spoke with Conley Phelps (a concierge at the hotel) who helped us select rooms and assured us of a good stay. When we checked in, each of our rooms was handed an envelope indicating that we would be receiving complimentary continental breakfast each day of our stay. We are members of IPrefer and IPrefer members get upgrades based on availability. When we spoke with the hotel upon making reservations, we indicated that we booked just the rooms we were hoping for and wouldn't need an upgrade. We didn't know that breakfast would be included, but we thought perhaps that was offered in place of the room upgrade. In any event, we made it a point of eating breakfast at the hotel every morning since we had the complimentary breakfast. We asked the front desk if we could order a full breakfast from their menu, and they indicated that we could and we would receive a credit based on the cost of the continental breakfast (I.e. partial credit). They said that the credit would be posted to the final bill upon checkout. We saw our final bill and didn't think the breakfast credit had been deducted, but the checkout lady said they had - so we left it at that. Upon returning home, we checked each of our breakfast tabs and found that nothing had, in fact, been deducted. We called hotel and they promised to issue the credits. The hotel did issue some of the credits, but in the end, they had still not issued over $100.00 of the credits. We have called the hotel numerous times and each time they assure us that it will be taken care of. The final time we called, they promised the manager would look into it and call us back. When they did call back, they indicated they would not issue any more credit because we were never supposed to get the free breakfast in the first place. A quality establishment would not give you a letter indicating you will receive free breakfast, then later say, "We won't actually give you those free breakfasts because you weren't supposed to get them in the first place." If they made a mistake in offering it, and we ate breakfast there EACH morning relying on that offer, a quality hotel would FULLY honor it because the mistake was theirs in letting us know that we had a promotion and then failing to fully honor it. We certainly would not return if we make a subsequent trip to Portland. Conley, who had arranged everything for us, was no longer working at The Heathman when we arrived. So if it was her intent to offer us the free breakfasts, the word must not have gotten passed on to whoever took over her position with the hotel.

Regarding the hotel, the rooms were well furnished and they had high quality shampoos and conditioners. They provide freshly roasted coffee in the morning - which was very good. If it were not for our poor experience with their customer service, we would have been happy to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: High floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SSJ83
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Dear SSJ83,
I am sorry to hear about the issues you had with the breakfast credits. I would love the chance to discuss this matter with you further. Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I am sure we can get this resolved right away.
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy the hotel and your guest room; I am sorry this misunderstanding with the credits overshadowed the rest of your stay. I hope to hear from you soon.
Kind regards,
503-241-4100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

The Heathman is one of my usual hotels in Portland. The hotel is quaint and has good service. The gym is small, but serviceable. I have always been a bit surprised by the complimentary ear plugs on the night stand. Unfortunately, this stay, I found out why they are handed out. The noise from my neighbors was extremely disruptive (and I am a heavy sleeper).

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear YGlobalTraveler,
It is great to hear you enjoy the hotel and service so much. I am sorry to hear about the noisy neighbors you had on your last visit. Please feel free to contact the front desk if this occurs on your next stay, we will do our best to ensure that you are able to rest while you are here. We want every guest to leave here well rested. Please contact me if you would like to discuss this matter further. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.
larkspur
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The Heathman is all about service and understated style. The rooms are well appointed, the staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and the hotel is convenient to all the major attractions of downtown Portland. Even the wine tasting is a class act. (It's conducted on the mezzanine on weekday afternoons, the wines are good to excellent, and the atmosphere is luxurious.)

The restaurant is excellent, and there's also a good bar menu, if your choice runs to a light pre-theatre dinner. In fact, if part of your trip includes an event at Schnitzer Hall or the Performing Arts Center - they're both right next door - this is the location for you.

Dear Widelenser,
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and restaurant so much. Thank you for taking the time to send your comments. I will be sure and share your feedback with the staff. I hope to see you again next time you visit Portland.
Kind regards,
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The Heathman has the perfect location next to the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall as well as other downtown Portland museums and shopping. Our room was comfortable (on the smallish size, but hey- this is an historic hotel) and well appointed. The rooms and windows were very well insulated- we didn't hear any hallway or street noise at all. I loved the drapes which blocked out the light so well that I was able to sleep-in in the morning. The Heathman is all about comfort: turn-down service and robes, complimentary bottled water, French-press coffee and L'Occitane bathroom amenities, fabulous beds. The Wi-Fi and TV worked fine. We dined out at a great Japanese restaurant across the street but had breakfast in the hotel the next morning. I suggest the fresh fruit platter which was amazing. All in all, a very positive experience for our anniversary weekend in Portland. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Of all the Portland hotels I've stayed at, this one is the BEST.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong here, but we had a room on the 8th floor facing Broadway and it w...
Dear Marsha E,
First let me say Happy Anniversary, I am so excited that you decided to spend your special occasion with us. Thank you for the kind comments about our hotel. Glad to hear you were able to experience so much of our hotel and Portland. You did mention that your room was a bit small. I wanted to let you know that we have several different room configurations here and many different sizes of rooms. Next time you are coming to Portland, please feel free to contact me and we can discuss room options. I know I can find you one that will be just perfect for your needs. I hope to see you soon.
Warm regards,
New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 May 2013

The service was top notch. When we arrived, we found that our toilet wasn't flushing and they sent someone up right away to fix it. We had no issues after that. The turndown service was extra nice in providing water bottles for both of us each night. I loved that they had room-darkening drapes. They worked so well I couldn't tell if it was night or day, so it was perfect for taking naps and sleeping in. Everyone was very helpful and you can't beat staying in a place that has a chocolatier in the lobby where you can drink liquid chocolate! Take advantage of the valet service, as it was nearly impossible to find parking close to the hotel.

Green Features: I like the little tips throughout the room on how to help the hotel be environmentally friendly and the separate baskets for trash and recycling in the room.
Dear AnonymousBean,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We really appreciate the feedback. I am sorry to hear you had an issue when you arrived, but happy to hear it was addressed right away. It sounds like you were able to relax and get pampered a bit. That is our goal for every guest, so I am thrilled to hear about your experience. Oh and yes, the drinking chocolate is heaven. We hope to see you in the near future.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 May 2013

In planning a road trip to Portland with my 10 year old, I could have booked a room at one of the major hotel chains, but I was hoping for something a little more special. The Heathman knows how to do special.

From the initial greeting to the turn down service, everything about our visit was top notch. We stayed in the gorgeous Oregon Symphony Suite - imagine the delight on my son's face when he saw the Murphy bed and robe and slippers just for him - I loved the artwork and the tempur-pedic bed that literally embraced me (note to self for the next mattress purchase).

The service was terrific including recommendations for activities and dining. The only thing I'd change would be more kid-friendly dinner options on the menu. We ended up going out to eat, but did come back for a dessert and live jazz in the lounge. A perfect end to the day.

The Heathman is now my favorite Portland hotel. Can't wait to visit with my husband!

Room Tip: Check out the different mattress options for your bed on their website.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Lisa D,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am so happy that we could be a part of your special weekend. We look forward to having you and your husband as our guest in the near future.

Portland
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Heathman. The staff members were warm, friendly, and welcoming. The doorman, Dante, let us take a photo with him (great uniforms). Zoe helped us get settled in our room, and Michael referred us to an amazing, very authentic Italian restaurant within walking distance and made our reservation. The staff are clearly proud of the hotel and were eager to share its history with us. We went to the theatre nearby for a musical and then slept well in our very comfortable beds.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mishibell
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Mishibell,

It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I am so glad we could be a part of making that happen. Thank you for taking the time to mention the employees that gave you such great personalized service. I will make sure they see this and commend them for their great service. The employees are truly proud to work here and we are truly proud to have them representing us. We can’t wait to have you as our guest in the near future.

Best wishes,