“Amazing wonderful charming historic”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #27 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Been to Portland numerous times on business and stayed at the usual national chains. This was a very different hotel in every way and was so much nicer. Such a charming place with a lot of history and a great downtown location. The rooms were very comfortable, the service excellent, and really enjoyed the wine tasting in the hotel library which itself was an interesting experience with all first edition books by authors who have stayed at the Heathman. I can't wait till the next time in Portland.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Qdog56,

I am so happy to hear that you had a chance to spend some time in our library. We are very proud of the collection we have and feel honored to have had so many great authors as our guests. It is wonderful to know that you will be visiting us again when you return to Portland. We look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

It's so nice to return and have the experience equal the last stay. Rooms are small, but very well done. Restaurant is outstanding, and service was fantastic as usual . The place to stay in Portland. Be sure to utilize the restaurant when staying.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear jamminneapolis,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and service so much. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly the next time you are planning a trip to Portland. We have many different room styles and sizes available. I am sure we can find one that you will love. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

This was our first time visiting Portland and wanted to stay in a unique hotel. We arrived at the height of rush hour - 5pm on a Monday. There was no problem getting our car valeted and checking in was quick and easy, our bags arrived at the same time we did. The staff was extremelly attentive and genuinley sincere which we don't find too often in big city hotels. You can tell the building itself is old (it is a registered historic hotel) but everything has been remodeled, the lobby is very modern while the sitting area off to the side retains it's turn of the century feel. The hotel over delivered for the rate i paid and the valet parking fee was waived with my AAA discount, another bonus. We were travelling with our two kids and they loved the hotel as well. Of course they were hoping to catch sight of the ghost that allegedly haunts the hotel but no luck.
We would definitely stay here again, great downtown location where we could walk anywhere in about 20 minutes, great rooms with honestly the best hotel beds I've slept on and that includes several Four Season hotels and such a nice staff!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Dear Rob H,

Wow, thank you for the great review. I appreciate you taking the time to submit your feedback. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that your children did as well. I love that you were able to get a good night’s rest. We want every guest to leave here feeling rested and relaxed, that is our #1 goal. It is nice to hear you were able to take advantage of one of our rate plans that includes parking; it is so convenient and secure.

I am so happy that you were able to visit our fabulous city and be our guests. Hopefully you will visit again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

On May 29th, my mom and I mom visited Portland for the first time. My mom had a very bad cold when we arrived at Heathman Hotel around 11 am. We originally planned on dropping off our luggage at Heathman and hitting town, but are plans changed when we got off the plane. I had asked the Concierge Kevin if we can check in early because my mom was sick and could bravely walk, (I know I was pushing the button), he told me that my check in is at 3 and I can leave my luggage with them and my mom can rest in the library area. I set my mom up and came back downstairs and told another concierge if any room is available please call me. Kevin stopped me right then and there and said my Orchestra Suite was available. That was just the first of many blessings that we received from the Heathman Personnel. Oh I forgot about this, the concierge sent me all related activities that I might be interested in, a couple of months before our arrival. Moving forward, my aunt arrived too and me and her hit the pavement. While we were gone, the turn down personal was so sweet to my mom and provided my mom so extra stuff her cold. In all, we plan on staying there in July of 2014 again because of the excellent service and location. The location is great for walking to main attractions.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear TiffRoc,

First of all, I certainly hope your mother is feeling better now. It is never fun to fall ill while you are away from home. I am so happy that we could accommodate an early check in and a few extra items for her during your stay. It sounds like you were able to have a good time when your aunt got to town. That is great to hear. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the information that was sent to you prior to your arrival. We have a knowledgeable concierge staff and they are great about assisting our guests to plan their trips. We are looking forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was my second stay at The Heathman. I've stayed in basic room, upgraded room, dined and had breakfast at the main restaurant, held an event in the library and had tea with friends at the bar/library area and the service of this hotel is truly first class. I travel the world and stay at a lot of fantastic places (Park Hyatt Tokyo, anyone?) - I would say that this hotel has the type of welcoming service and the professional first-class treatment of customers that you just dream about. And it's NOT that expensive. It's worth every penny. There is bread and butter and honey on the bar menu for $2!!! Where can you find that? Not that I want to encourage you to eat bread and butter and honey but alas, it's very good. Thank you Heathman. You are our one and only stop during future visits to Portland, Oregon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear prolificliving,
We are delighted that you were able to visit us again. It sounds like you were able to pack a lot of the special things that make the Heathman so memorable into your stay. I am so happy to hear you felt so welcomed during your time with us. The staff at The Heathman truly love the guests and take pride in the service they provide. Thank you for taking the time to submit such great comments. I will pass them on to all of the staff. We will see you on your next trip to Portland.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Our son was recently married in Portland, Oregon and we blocked rooms for all of the out of town guests and family. We also hosted the rehearsal dinner and post-wedding brunch at the Heathman Hotel. Everything went off without a hitch despite the fact that we ended up with many more guests at the dinner and brunch than had RSVP'd. The food was to die for, especially the barbecued salmon. Absolutely exquisite attention to detail and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The front desk even upgraded the newlyweds to a honeymoon suite on the night of their wedding. Just one of the many thoughtful and classy gestures that we experienced during our stay. My expectations were high going in, but they outdid themselves in every way.

Dear Istraveltales,
It sounds like your family and friends had a wonderful weekend. What a joyous occasion. I am happy to hear that everything went off without a hitch. Please send our congratulations to the bride and groom. We feel so lucky to be a part of making lifetime memories for our guests. I will pass on all of your kind comments to the staff. Thank you for taking the time to share them. We look forward to seeing you soon for the next special occasion.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Another superb stay at the Heathman. Always greeted by very pleasant staff, extremely comfortable king bed, nice L'Occitane amenities. Conveniently located to shopping core of downtown. Fun to have an afternoon cocktail on the sidewalk cafe. Breakfast is always delicious in the restaurant. Quick and friendly service.

Dear FosSeattle,
I am so happy to hear you had such a nice stay and enjoyed the staff so much. It is great to know that our guests were able to relax and enjoy our fabulous city. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We hope to see you soon.