“We Loved The Mark Spencer Hotel and We Will DEFINITELY Stay Again!”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Yes, the decor in the rooms is dated, and if you have a problem with that maybe you should stay somewhere else. However, you will not find better service or a better staff at any other hotel in Portland. My daughters and I have traveled to Portland several times a year for the past 9 years for their sport events, shopping, shows etc. We normally go through Priceline and stay wherever we end up getting a room. Usually in very nice 3+ star places.. and let me tell you, we have stayed in much 'fancier' hotels, but never have we stayed somewhere better. In June we were in Portland so the girls could see Britney Spears (not my choice, theirs). I stayed in the room and enjoyed relaxing and reading while the girls were at the show. SUCH a homey atmosphere.. The staff here goes above and beyond to make sure the guests are comfortable. My favorite was Chris at the front desk. All of the staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. I never felt like they were just 'doing their jobs'. The hotel is close to everything you need downtown and the girls and I spent the day after the concert just walking around and shopping downtown. We had a really great time. Like I said before, the decor is a bit dated in the rooms, but it was very clean and extremely comfortable, so who cares? Oh, and the beds were great! Thank you everyone at The Mark Spencer Hotel.. we will be back! No more Priceline for Portland, we'll be booking straight through the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Syekey1

Reviewed 3 July 2011

This hotel offered clean, quiet, quaint accommodations right in the heart of downtown Portland, a block from the Pearl District and famous Powell's bookstore, a few blocks west of the Willamette riverfront, right on the trolley line, and a short drive from the airport. We had a small studio-apartment-type room with a little kitchenette which was perfect for our short stay. A continental breakfast buffet is provided, which is enough to tide you over for a snack before you make your way down a few blocks to Mother's Bistro (which is legendary and deeeeelish) OR VooDoo Doughnuts (also legendary, but for totally different reasons!). When we make it back to Portland someday, we'll keep the Mark Spencer Hotel in mind.

1  Thank SH-from-JCMO
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The Mark Spencer was perfect for us. The hotel is quiet, the staff friendly and helpful and the rooms clean. We enjoyed the little perks like the nightly wine tasting and the free breakfast. The hotel is not sterile like the giant mega hotels. And it is near to great sites like Powell's Bookstore and the Pearl District. This was our second time at the Spencer and we would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

Our children gave us a night at the Mark Spencer as a gift. We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. Everything from the cookies on our arrival to the breakfast just before our departure was top notch. Our room was roomy, comfortable, and truly sparkling clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. As an added bonus we really enjoyed the nearby food carts we had heard so much about. We will be back!

Reviewed 17 June 2011

I wasn't familar with the Hotel. It's an older hotel but looks like they have been renovating it. The only negatives were they were doing some kind of construction on the outside so the hotel lobby was not directly accessible. Coming from the street there are 5 steps to navigate which made it a little difficult for me to handle my luggage by myself (one bellman/doorman who disappeared). A TV show was filming in that area (not Hotel's fault) so it was difficult to find a parking space so that I could check in. You need to have your room keys in order to access the garage. There is a parking charge.

The room had nice linens and a fairly comfortable bed. I was surprised by the full size refrigerator and four burner stove. There were pots, plates and utensils. This would be great if you were staying for more than a few days. The room had a comfy stuffed chair, a desk and two chairs. There was a TV in the armoire. The closet was another small room with a chest, luggage rack, ironing board and iron. There were extra pillows and a blanket. The bathroom had a pedestal sink and narrow shelf above so not a lot of room for your things. Fortunately, it was just me but it would have worked if my husband were along.

Off the small lobby in the Hotel is a room with comfy chairs - that's the library. That room was well utilized by hotel guests, lots of people reading and socializing. There is another small room with tables and chairs - that's the atrium - it has skylights and high walls so it's very bright and cheery. Also off the check-in desk is an area where you can get coffee throughout the day. At 3:00 pm they serve cookies and tea in the library and at 5:00 pm they have wine and Hors d'Ouevres. I sampled some excellent Washington wines during my stay. They also provide a free breakfast in the mornings, limited to hard boiled eggs, yogurts, muffins and breads. There might have been a few other items but yogurt and wheat toast is great for me as long as there is good coffee. The weather report had forecasted clear weather but on the second day there was rain. Fortunately, the front desk was able to lend me a nice umbrella.

The location is excellent. There is an abundance of restaurants and shopping in the area. You are only a block from the gigantic Powell's bookstore where you could spend many hours. Also very close is a Whole Foods so you can stock up that refrig in the room. Across the street is a deli restaurant that I ate at twice. Up the street is a Starbucks that has a wine bar in it (first time I've seen that).

I was too tired to go back out my last night and noticed they would deliver pizza. I called and less than 10 minutes later I had a delicious thin crust four cheese pizza.

Hopefully, the next time I visit the entrance will be completed and there won't be a film crew taking all the parking spaces. I thought I might see something exciting but I saw only a bunch of unmarked trucks and trailers.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels in the downtown Portland area over the years but I think The Mark Spencer will become our regular place. It's well located, clean, comfortable and quiet.

This is also a dog friendly hotel.

Room Tip: My studio had a full refrig and 4 burner stove.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lessalt
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Great location, great amenities, and a very friendly and accommodating staff. We were delighted to have such a spacious room (complete with kitchenette) considering the rate. Parking is not free (which is typical for a small urban hotel, in my experience) and the complimentary breakfast is simple; but on the other hand the hotel offers both an afternoon tea and a wine-and-cheese hour (with decent wine!) on a daily basis at no charge. One tip: We specifically requested a room away from street noise after reading that this might be an issue. The management carefully noted this, and the room they gave us was subject to no noticeable outside noise.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elwinjhay
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Hospitality is apparently a key selling point of both this hotel and Portland in general. I was completely blown away by how nice and helpful the staff at this hotel was! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business