“Nice room, great location”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Miami, Florida
“Nice room, great location”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed one night on my way to Seattle, after paying through the nose at the Kimpton. The Mark Spencer was affordable and the room was very nice. Views were nice and I loved the fact that they left the brick walls visible in the rooms from the original construction. Nice continental breakfast and happy hour, although the happy hour venue is quite small. Staff was top notch and everything was clean and professional. I should have spent my whole stay there. Loved the location, too, adjacent to the Pearl District and lots of cool shops and restaurants. Highly recommend

Room Tip: Loved the corner room and views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Jeri R, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2013
Good morning Monique, So glad to know you appreciate our incredible value, spotless rooms and location. Our full continental breakfast, cookies that are baked by our employees in the afternoon and evening wine reception with pizza bites, cheese and crackers, and yet more cookies add to your comfort. Being a few steps away from the Pearl District is certainly an advantage, as you mentioned. And if you don't want to go more than around the corner, be sure to check out our new neighbor Cheryl's Restaurant next time you're here. It features a great menu; you won't be disappointed. We're glad you recognize the value we offer; thank you for taking time to share your experience. We share all comments with the employee and they appreciate hearing first-hand from our guests. I hope you can come back soon; feel free to look me up if there's anything I can do for you here. Best, Jeri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
Saranac Lake, New York
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We recently spent 6 nights at the Mark Spencer Hotel. Our experience there was exceptional on every level and the hotel itself proved to be the highlight of our trip making everything else in PDX more enjoyable. The amenities and level of service far exceeds what one would expect for such a reasonably priced room; evening wine tastings, tea and cookies, excellent quality coffee/espresso machine, nice breakfast, morning NY Times brought to the room each morning and all part of the deal. The Staff were consistently friendly and went out of their way to accomodate and answer questions. Additionally, our room had a small kitchen. A small luxury to be able to make an easy meal or heat up the leftovers from any one of the memorable nearby restaurants. Makes planning for future trips to Portland easy - we'll know right where to stay without having to shop around. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Check out the junior suites which feature a small living room with couch and kitchenette. You'll...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bill c
Jeri R, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Hi Bill, Wow - you hit all the places I usually talk about. It's a great way for me to start off my Monday. Thank you! What hotel could ask for anything more than to be told they're 'exceptional'! I have a simple philosophy: tell people what you're going to do and then do it. Sounds easy ….but think of how frequently that doesn't happen. Our employees take pride in providing an affordable, comfortable and memorable stay. Your note says you'll be back, so we'll look forward to seeing you next time and I hope to meet you, perhaps at our evening wine party and a few glasses of wine. If you have time, you might want to check out our new restaurant neighbor, Cheryl’s on 12th. It's just around the corner and our guests tell us it's a thumbs up. I can agree with that...from personal experience. Thanks again, Jeri
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 23 January 2013

When the Mallory changed hands, many of us found the Mark Spencer - and so glad we did! Two of my favorite places - Powell Books and Jakes - are close. The hotel staff are all friendly and knowledgable - and the rooms are very nic.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Loved this hotel & plan to return in March. The location is ideal and walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Parking is secure and reasonably priced. Although renovations were ongoing while we were there, we never experienced any inconvenience during our stay. The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. We loved their continental breakfast and wine reception in the early evening. We have stayed at other hotels in Portland (close to the waterfront) but prefer this hotel because of its location and the friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed there so we didn't have to drive home after a concert, and we truly wished we had more time to hang out there. The location is amazing! The food carts are a block and a half away, which is a truly Portlandia experience, and the Keller Auditorium is an easy walk away. There are great restaurants nearby, and Powell's is just about next door. The parking garage is wonderfully convenient. With all these attractions, we weren't all that concerned about the quality of the hotel itself, but we were delighted when we got there.
Cookies, tea and coffee in the afternoon, wine and snacks in the evening, and continental breakfast are all included in the already very reasonable price. The beds are ridiculously comfortable, and the rooms are great! I love having access to the kitchen, with all the utensils and kitchenware available (in case the food carts are closed, I guess...), and the room is very clean. Service is impeccable and friendly. We will make a point of staying overnight in Portland more often!

Room Tip: I have heard that you should try to avoid the rooms nearest the elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We enjoyed our 3 day stay in this lovely hotel. The breakfast was very nice and the coffee was great. Being within walking distance of Powells was wonderful and it was so nice to have parking available. We went for a vacation and really had a great time. The staff was friendly and accomodating. We'll definitely go back next time we go to Portland.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I did my homework before choosing this hotel, but I was still pleasantly surprised at the amazing location that the Mark Spencer is in. I walked to many bars, restaurants and shopping from the hotel, but also appreciated the great, low cost parking garage that allowed me to take my car for short drives to other parts of the city.The hi speed internet service was brilliant, and the free New York Times and breakfast bar hit the spot in the morning. The front desk was super friendly and they even guaranteed me an early check over the phone as I drove across the Fremont bridge way ahead of schedule from Seattle. The coffee machine at breakfast makes a perfect cup of Joe!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and you will probably get one,
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family