“Just an average stay”

Ranked #8 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Florida
“Just an average stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed with them for one week and my overall experience was disappointing. To begin I was given a room that overlooked the covered breakfast area, meaning my view was of other windows and walls. The room was very dark and musty. I will give them credit for eventually changing my room when I requested it. The next room was the same layout but much brighter with a view of the mountains in the distance so I was very pleased with that. However, this room again smelled very musty - I do understand that it is a very old hotel and they are working on new renovations. Also the elevators, are very concerning, they make a lot of noise and almost bounce when they stop. One was even out of order for the evening while I was there, so I made use of the stairs during my stay. Although the rooms were old and outdated, they were still clean and the beds were very comfortable. In fact, that was probably the best part of my stay, great beds! It cost $4 to wash and dry one load of laundry which I found to be a bit ridiculous. The breakfast was good, your average continental breakfast. The staff was helpful when I asked but I never fully felt welcome from any of them. Overall, it just didn't meet my expectations nor did I feel comfortable in the hotel as a whole. Would I stay there again or recommend it? No probably not, I feel that there are better options out there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephanie P
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns with us. I would like to apologize if you felt your stay with us fell short of your expectations. We always strive to provide the type of service you'll want to return to. If we failed, I welcome a conversation with you to see where we fell short so we can provide additional training.
I was excited to read your comment regarding our beds! We do have extremely cozy beds with plush pillow-top mattresses and luxurious linens. Our beds always get rave reviews and we're delighted you found them confortable.
As renovations continue, more rooms are opening with our new designer look. I invite you to come by the next time you find yourself in Portland so I can personally give you a tour. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I always stay at the Mark Spencer when in Portland-the location is terrific and the staff is super helpful and friendly. The hotel is undergoing significant upgrades and keeps getting better-the rooms are large and generally quiet, the breakfast room is peaceful, and the free wifi works well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Catherine D
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
It's so nice to hear what our guests think of our hotel renovations....and equally as nice to have you with us again! As we continue with hotel improvements, I hope you'll let us know how we're doing. I would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back in person the next time you're in Portland.
Thank you for the kind review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I had a room with a single queen, which was very small but fine for one person spending little time in the room. The price is good but it's not the best location in my opinion. Parking is extra. The best thing about this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff.

Stayed January 2014
Thank you for your review and for allowing us to be your host. We have an excellent guest service staff and I'm happy you felt the same. I will pass along your kind comments to them as they always enjoy hearing from our guests.
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us!

Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

What can I say? I love the helpful staff and enjoy the amenities, like the food (cookies, lattes, fruit, wine and cheese) in the lobby, free wi-fi, nice soap in the rooms, free newspapers, continental breakfast, and workout room. The rooms are always clean and provide a lot of space with couches and kitchenettes. Then, the hotel is well-located with fabulous dining and shopping nearby. Great value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SenoritaViaje
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
I loved your review! Thank you for mentioning all of the amenities that make The Mark Spencer such a wonderful place to stay. We get many comments on our afternnoon tea and fresh baked cookies, evening wine and cheese reception, NY Times delivered to your door, and the continental breakfast - all complimentary to our guests!
I'm so happy you were able to visit our new fitness facility with state-of-the-art Precor equipment.
I would like to personally thank you for returning to stay with us once again. It was a pleasure to have you back!

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Reasonably priced hotel very near Portland tram. Walkable to many city areas / restaurants. Was given a ticket to overflow parking across the street, which is a little cramped but serviceable. Hotel is an older property, but clean and well-kept. You will be satisfied if you are not expecting luxury. Breakfast is quite nice, and staff is very friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We love hearing from our guests and appreciate your time in reviewing The Mark Spencer Hotel. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to the staff. The hotel is one of the oldest in Portland and has a rich history with many stories, including one of a talking parrot who took up residence in the lobby. Apparently, he spoke to anyone within earshot and had a very colorful vocabulary!
I would like to invite you back the next time you are in Portland to experience the beatifully remodeled guestrooms. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Thank you for staying with us - it was our pleasure to be your host!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked this hotel for a family getaway and the reservations and front desk staff went out of their way to be helpful and book us 2 very suitable rooms across the hall from each other. They could not have been nicer in answering my innumerable questions and even made an excellent restaurant suggestion when we couldn't get a reservation where we had wanted to go originally. We were on the 6th floor and did not experience any street noise although the hotel is right downtown. Everything we wanted was within walking distance. Powell's books very close.

The rooms are fine - bathrooms in our rooms were needing an update. I understand that there are renos happening. Beds very comfortable.

Cookies in the afternoon, wine and cheese from 5-6, continental breakfast in an attractive eating area - what's not to like? Even a coffee machine that makes a pretty good latte, anytime you want it.

Room Tip: Higher floors probably quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank debleslie
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you for your review! I will be happy to pass along your kind comments to our front desk staff.
You mentioned many of the complimentary amenities that our guests have come to love and enjoy - afternoon tea and fresh baked cookies, an espresso machine available 24 hours a day that makes lattes, mochas and cappuccinos plus an evening wine reception featuring Oregon wines. I hope you were able to enjoy it all!
If you find yourself traveling to Portland again, we would be pleased to have you as our guest. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is not a luxury hotel and clearly an older property, but it's extremely clean and in a great location within walking distance of most of center-city Portland. Also close to all of Portland's many tram lines. Staff were friendly and helpful. Probably because it off-season, we got a very good price through Expedia. Our bed was very comfortable, and the room was pleasant.

The only issues we encountered were with housekeeping, which seemed to want to clean the room either quite early or very late in the day, which was a bit inconvenient. Perhaps they were short-staffed because we were there on a holiday week.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have one of the best locations in town with many Portland area attractions within a few blocks - Powell's Bookstore, Portland Center Stage, Portland Timbers Soccer, The West End and Pearl District for dining and shopping and we're only a short trolley ride to the Portland Art Museum.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the times our housekeeping department arrived to clean your guestroom. We try to accommodate each of our guests and will always send our housekeeping staff to your room at any requested time.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us - it was truly our pleasure!