“Our favorite place to stay!”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Our favorite place to stay!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Mark Spencer Hotel is our #1 choice for our frequent visits to Portland. This hotel reflects the true nature of the city - friendly, warm, and inviting. The hotel is undergoing extensive renovations at this time but it does not interfere with our enjoyment during our stay. The new rooms are beautiful, contemporary and spacious. The complimentary breakfast meets our needs perfectly, since we do not want an expensive, full-service, heavy meal in the morning...just a grab, eat and go operation. The coffee/tea service is available all day and night and is almost as good as the coffee shop down the road, and it's all free. We love the afternoon tea service too, but try to limit ourselves to one cookie...good luck with that. This time, we availed ourselves of the complimentary pre-dinner wine service and got to meet the general manager, Pam, who was extraordinarily nice, a true reflection of the hotel and the people we've met...the reason we keep coming back. This hotel is perfectly situated for those who wish to use public transportation, like we do, although they do have a garage here. We stopped renting a car years ago, except for maybe a day trip to Mt. Hood or the beach. This hotel is located on the border between Downtown and the Pearl District so we can easily walk almost everywhere and occasionally take the streetcar right back to the hotel. We decided to move to Portland because of the warm, friendly, welcoming people and the ease of getting around town. We have always stayed at the Mark Spencer and now we will recommend this hotel to our family and friends who come to visit us.

Room Tip: The old rooms are outdated but comfortable, however the renovated rooms are awesome!
1 Thank Michael A
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. We always love to hear how much our guests enjoy visiting Portland. Everything you mentioned is why we love it too! Many of our guests have decided that Portland is where they want to be with award winning restaurants, museums, festivals, brewpubs, theatre and tax-free shopping! Not many of our guests rent a car when visiting Portland as they find getting around the city easy and extremely walkable.
It was so nice visiting with you both. I look forward to seeing you again when Portland becomes your home. Please be sure to stop by the hotel to say "hello".

Warm Regards,

Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
Bonney Lake, Washington
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We have visited the Mark Spencer four times and enjoyed each stay. The first time we stayed in a basic queen room. The subsequent visits we stayed in a queen junior suite. Love the extra space and small kitchenette. The rooms are clean and the Wi-Fi works well in the rooms. The staff are gracious and attentive. We enjoy the breakfast room with a continental breakfast. They have a splendid afternoon cookie time and wine tasting. The location is ideal. It is an easy walk to downtown as well as the Pearl District. It is also an easy walk from the train station. Overall the Mark Spencer is a welcoming place to stay.

Room Tip: Upper floor in a corner suite or junior suite.
2 Thank Richard H
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
I would like to thank you for being our guest and for returning to the Mark Spencer Hotel. It's always a pleasure when our guests choose to stay with us again! I would personally like to welcome you back for your 5th visit!
There will be many improvements in the months ahead and we can't wait to show them to you the next time you're in Portland.
Our heartfelt thanks for your continued endorsement of the Mark Spencer Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed four nights at the Mark Spencer. I stay in hotels every week for my job so we never stay at a chain when on vacation. I loved the comfortable vibe of this place. They know what the important things are. Nice and helpful staff, very comfortable beds, soft and white sheets and towels, heating system which works well and is quiet, secure parking, good coffee, spotlessly clean rooms, real dishes and silverware, simple but good continental breakfast. There is construction going on but you do not hear it, only see the workers now and then. Do not get that same consideration at other hotels. Nice perks are afternoon coffee and cookies and evening wine sampling. Our room (King executive suite) was roomy, pleasant, and comfortable. The location around the hotel is great, walk around and you will find everything. We were visiting family in the suburbs so did not spend alot of time in town or the hotel but I would love to come back and have a little more city time. Highly recommend.

1 Thank seobr
Thank you for your time in reviewing the Mark Spencer Hotel. I'm happy to hear your stay with us was comfortable and relaxing. You mentioned many of the features our guests love about the hotel - luxurious bedding, comfortable guestrooms and the 24/7 espresso machine. I think our evening wine reception is one of our favorites as it allows us to chat with our guests while featuring some of Oregon's finest wines.
Thank you for choosing the Mark Spencer Hotel. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 February 2014

First objective... be as close to the Armory and Gerding Theater... and Powell's Bookstore as possible. You can't get any closer than at the Mark Spencer. I was greeted with a smile and a sense of eagerness to assist me. Very quick check in and right up to my refurbished room. I had requested a room with lots of natural light... which means big windows! I got that with a pleasant view over Stark Ave. The continental breakfast was adequate but there are a number of good restaurants nearby. I traveled to Portland to attend Foodworx Conference at the Armory. This meant I would be looking for some great dining experiences as well. Two of Portland's best, The Gruner, and Taste on Alder are just behind the hotel and my favorite restaurant in PDX Andina is an appetit building 15 minutes away. I was able to walk to every place I wanted to visit including several food truck locations only a two block walk away. Public transportation is directly in front of the hotel as well.

There are still some rooms under reconstruction and refurbishing but this did not create any noise or dust on the floor I was on. Another guest also commented there was still some construction going on on her floor but was not an issue.

All-in-all, the perfect location in Portland and a friendly, very well priced hotel. I will stay there again next year for the Foodworx Conference.

Room Tip: Request upper floors and some corner rooms have extra windows.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Earthpilgrim
Thank you for your review! We do have a great downtown location close to many of Portland's "must see" attractions. With Powell's Bookstore only one block away, you really can't get any closer! Portland's public transit system is one of the best, but with our short city blocks, you'll find yourself walking everywhere. I'm happy to hear you found a few of your own favorite places.
Thank you, too, for your compliments to my staff. They are some of the best service professionals around and I will be sure to pass along your kind remarks to them.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is an amazing location (Pearl District of Portland) and the staff was extremely courteous and went out of their way to make me feel welcome. They have a "tea time" where wine, cheese, crackers, and cookies are served in the lobby. However, the coffee/tea station is always open. I stayed in a newly remodeled room and it the decor was classy, minimal, and clean.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rachel G
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Mark Spencer Hotel. It's nice to read a review mentioning our remodeled rooms. We are very excited about the renovations and are always happy to hear our guests like them as well. The decor was carefully chosen with your comfort in mind. - large flat screen TV's, no-fog backlit bathroom mirrors with beautiful tile and vanities, upscale bedding, added insulation between guestrooms and stainless steel kitchens.
Thank you, too, for your kind words regarding our staff. I will be sure to pass along your comments to them!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The room on the 5th floor with kitchenette and large TV with cable was extremely comfortable. Standard inclusions: stove, fridge, toaster, pots, dishes and utensils, ironing board, iron, hair dryer, personal care items, etc. The large room with queen-size bed, armchair and table with two chairs included solid WIFI as well. Breakfast buffet had a nice assortment but never changed. Great coffee machine near the lobby available all day, with tea/hot coca and cookies set around around 3:00 p.m. There was also complimentary wine tasting w/cheese and crackers for an hour at 5:00 p.m. Exercise room small but had quality machines. Basically, it felt like home away from home.

Room Tip: If arriving via Portland International Airport, to get to within two blocks of the Mark Spencer Hote...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank L P
Thank you for your kind review. It's always nice when we've made our guests feel at home. I'm happy you were able to join us for our evening wine reception. We feature local Oregon and Washington wines which are some of the best in the country. Our guests love to gather around and sample the wine while making new friends.
If you find yourself in Portland again, we would love to "Welcome you home!"
Thank you for choosing to stay with us - it was truly our pleasure.

Florida
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed with them for one week and my overall experience was disappointing. To begin I was given a room that overlooked the covered breakfast area, meaning my view was of other windows and walls. The room was very dark and musty. I will give them credit for eventually changing my room when I requested it. The next room was the same layout but much brighter with a view of the mountains in the distance so I was very pleased with that. However, this room again smelled very musty - I do understand that it is a very old hotel and they are working on new renovations. Also the elevators, are very concerning, they make a lot of noise and almost bounce when they stop. One was even out of order for the evening while I was there, so I made use of the stairs during my stay. Although the rooms were old and outdated, they were still clean and the beds were very comfortable. In fact, that was probably the best part of my stay, great beds! It cost $4 to wash and dry one load of laundry which I found to be a bit ridiculous. The breakfast was good, your average continental breakfast. The staff was helpful when I asked but I never fully felt welcome from any of them. Overall, it just didn't meet my expectations nor did I feel comfortable in the hotel as a whole. Would I stay there again or recommend it? No probably not, I feel that there are better options out there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephanie P
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments and concerns with us. I would like to apologize if you felt your stay with us fell short of your expectations. We always strive to provide the type of service you'll want to return to. If we failed, I welcome a conversation with you to see where we fell short so we can provide additional training.
I was excited to read your comment regarding our beds! We do have extremely cozy beds with plush pillow-top mattresses and luxurious linens. Our beds always get rave reviews and we're delighted you found them confortable.
As renovations continue, more rooms are opening with our new designer look. I invite you to come by the next time you find yourself in Portland so I can personally give you a tour. You'll be pleasantly surprised!