“Fantastic experience!”

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 139 Hotels in Portland
“Fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We had an absolutely amazing time at the Mark Spencer. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Josh, the bellhop/concierge gave us a great list of areas to check out as well as got us in to a really nice bar that is unusually hard to get into, even on a Wednesday. The rooms were comfy and helped us feel as though we were at home. The bed was fantastically comfy. Would highly recommend to anyone that finds their way to Portland.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
We really appreciate when our guests take the time to review our hotel. I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. My staff was extremely excited about their mention in your review. They actually shop, dine and visit the same attractions they refer our guests to. We love our city and are happy you do, as well.
It was our pleasure to have you as our guest! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed at The Mark Spencer on a friend's recommendation while travelling down to California this past Christmas. Check in was a breeze, on-site parking was very reasonable ($18). Front Desk staff were very helpful and gave lots of great advice on things to do in the neighborhood. Room was a bit dated, but king size bed was very comfortable. TV cabinet was in a kind of awkward place on the side of the bed, but the free wifi and my iPad made watching some Netflix before bed a great compromise. The 12pm check-out time gave us lots of time in the morning to explore Portland a bit more before leaving. We liked it so much that we stopped again on the way back to Vancouver (Canada) after Christmas. Called for a reservation and the friendly, helpful staff honored a discount coupon that had had expired on Dec 31 for a return stay. Everything was just as good the second time as the first - the bed was even softer - I literally sank into it. Will be my go-to place whenever I come to Portland!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us over the holidays. It's always a pleasure to welcome families to the hotel! Portland is a convenient destination on the I-5 corridor and a fun city to add to your travels. So happy to hear you found the bed to be comfortable. We explored many options before choosing these particular mattresses, sheets, etc. We get many comments on the comfort of the bed and softness of the linens. Thank you for your comments.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm Regards,

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I think the condition of a room and its furniture says a lot about the hotel; while the Mark Spencer had a lot going for it, including the amenities (wine and cheese during Happy Hour) and the super location, I would have liked to have seen furniture in better condition and for there to have been less of a tired, worn-out feel to the rooms. I was in Portland for a conference, but my husband and daughter enjoyed the sights and the neighborhood. The staff at the reception were great, and never hesitated to provide excellent recommendations for food in the area.

Room Tip: I was stuck on the ground (lobby) floor in 118 which I don't recommend! Ask for something highe...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank worldtravelertrainer
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review of The Mark Spencer Hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback as it allows us to improve what we do. You and your family traveled a long way and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Portland. So many fun things to do for families!
The room you occupied has not been renovated yet and, while here, I wish you could have seen some that have been completed. Everything has been carefully and thoughtfully designed with our guests in mind. The rooms are receiving a complete makeover, including new furnishings, kitchens, bathrooms, carpeting, lighting and artwork. In addition, corridors are being remodeled with new guestroom doors, carpeting and carefully chosen artwork, featuring a different art venue on each floor. We're also adding more insulation and sound proofing.
I hope if you are in Portland again, you will allow us to show you the continuous improvements that are taking place. Thank you so much for being our guest! It was our pleasure to host you and your family.
Safe travels!
Veneta, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Located in a perfect location with a wonderful famly feel in the middle a very busy city, the Mark Spencer is the perfect place to spend an overnight or even more delightful would be a week of exploration. A bus will pick you up very near the hotel for a free ride to many exciting places free. A small fee will get you anywhere in the area- so much to see and do in Portland and this hotel is the perfect place to stay. the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are great and the comfort of having a small kitchenette makes left overs and breakfast easy. The daily breakfast there is a delight- as is the free Wi-Fi. So much of this hotel is perfect I fear I have left something out. The parking is underground and secure for a small fee and the PEOPLE are TERRIFIC.... Going to Portland? Stay at the Mark Spencer for ease, comfort, location and that family feeling.

Room Tip: We particularly enjoy the corner rooms- we stayed in 407... reason- glass on two sides- beautiful su...
2 Thank Twinkle M
It sounds as if your trip to Portland was a success! We do have a great location being right in the middle of the city and only one block from the Pearl District, Powell's Book Store and so many excellent dining choices. With short city blocks and easy to use public transportation, getting around is a breeze! I hope you found several places that are now your favorites.
We would love to have you "come home" and stay with us again. There's so much more of Portland to explore! It was a pleasure having you as our guest.

Monterey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I highly recommend staying at the Mark Spencer. It will certainly be the only place I will stay at in Portland. This charming hotel is under renovation; however even the pre-renovation rooms (where I stayed) are clean, comfortable, and a pleasure to come home to.

Even more applaudable is the friendly staff who always greeted me with a smile and an offer to assist me in any way. The breakfast was continental but offered a healthy array of food. Coffee is always available and the 5:00 p.m. happy hour is offered with charm and elegance.

I do a lot of convention traveling and have never come across a hotel that offers a complete package of comfortable room with all amenities, courteous and friendly staff, above and beyond services and a place that felt homey.

No rating for restaurant or swimming pool as these were not on the hotel property but many excellent restaurants were a block away or just across the street.

Thank you Mark Spencer!

Room Tip: My room was in its pre-renovation state; older furniture and bathroom but clean, charming, and it se...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you, Sandy, for such a kind review! Each member of my staff is dedicated to providing the service you described and looks for ways to enhance your stay each day. So happy you were able to join us for our evening wine reception. It's the perfect place for us to get to know you as you sample some of Oregon's fine wines. We would welcome the chance to have you as our guest once again, and hope you will return soon.

Warm Regards,

Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We were astonished at the beautiful, newly renovated studio we had--it was tastefully decorated, had a wonderfully comfy bed, modern kitchen appliances, and a clean/modern bath. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Breakfast was a must for me, and with the great coffee selections it made for a good start of the day during my convention. We enjoyed our stay immensely.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I'm so happy you enjoyed the newly renovated room! Everything was carefully chosen for these rooms, right down to the luxurious bed linens and comfy mattresses. I'm excited about all the new things to come and would love to have you back to share your comments with us. I hope you enjoyed the Portland post card outside your guestroom door!
Thank you for being our guest. Let's hope spring is on it's way in your part of the country!

Coquitlam, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I just returned from Portland and stayed at this cool and funky hotel called "The Mark Spencer Hotel" where we very much enjoyed our stay; intact, we plan on staying there during our next visit to Portland. We found the staff very professional and helpful. In addition to the cleanliness of our room we were able to rent "Still In Theatre" movies from the television in our room, and cheese and wine tasting from 5 to 6 pm allowed us to enjoy the atrium room and socialize with other guests. We stayed in the Jr. Suite complete with kitchen stove, fridge,microwave and sink. We found this came in handy as we were able to put our leftovers in the fridge and warm it the next day in the oven or microwave. The only constructive criticism I would make is that the TV did not have the HDMI hook-up for a true HiDef signal and this would have made the movie we rented have a better picture (picture was stretched and not HiDef sharp). In addition to this it would have been great it we could have connected our computer to the TV, as we do when we have stayed at other hotels, so we could access our NetFlix account to watch other HiDef movies. Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: cleanliness is next to godliness and location is of the utmost importance. If you want to be where t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
I want to thank you for your review and appreciate your honest feedback. Within the next few weeks, we will be converting our entire system over so you will be able to enjoy movies in HDMI and have the capability to connect your computer to the TV. We know this is important for your enjoyment and always want to ensure your complete satisfaction while staying at The Mark Spencer Hotel.
We look forward to seeing you again!