“Great location and services”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location and services”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We selected the Mark Spencer for our stay in Portland because of its location and reasonable price. It is easy walking distance to Powell's Books, great coffee, restaurants and shopping. We found it easy to find by car from the airport, and were able to park out front in order to check in before moving the car to underground parking accessible from the hotel($18/day, but coupons can be found on line).

Front desk staff was always great to deal with- friendly, and willing to go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. Coffee, tea, ice water is always available in the lobby. Continental breakfast is included in the morning, and tea and wine served in the afternoon.

This hotel is undergoing renovation, but we were not disturbed in any way by this during our stay. The common areas (comfortable for lounging, plus exercise room and laundry) are clean as are the rooms. Queen rooms are not huge, but do include a kitchenette-great for any beer or wine you want to try while visiting Oregon!

We also stayed in a suite with Queen bed and fold out sofa in a separate living room. The fold out was better than average- the price for the suite (including kitchenette) quite reasonable, and I would recommend this option as economical choice if you are traveling with a teenager or small children.

Overall, I really like this hotel- it is not a modern or large chain hotel, but the newly renovated,clean rooms, friendly staff, and terrific location make this my choice for a couples or family stay in downtown Portland.

Room Tip: Some rooms have view of Mt. Hood
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We always love to hear how much our guests love Portland - and our location! Powell's Books draws in many visitors just to see one of the biggest book stores in the world - and only 1 block from our hotel. So happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll be sharing your review with my staff as they, too, will enjoy reading your kind comments. Thank you for staying with us - we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sourced from Ireland; just shows how much this thought and care go into your stay. Also greeted by a Birthday treat in the room - sweet.

Location: perfect, within walking distance of the best stuff.

Rooms: a little retro - which was fun - and quiet enough. View was fine as we were there to explore, not peer out the window.

Privacy: it's more like an apartment, entrance has a private feel vs. splashy hotel foyer, so you don't feel on display or obliged to greet the desk staff (friendly as they are).

Staff: very helpful, knowledgeable and personable.

We'll be back in the Fall - for sure. Why stay anywhere else?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We love our sheets, too! As a matter of fact, our entire bedding package (sheets, duvet, mattresses) are all carefully chosen for comfort. On your next visit, I encourage you to request a renovated room so you can see all the added amenities in these beautiful guestrooms - new carpeting, bathrooms, kitchens, furnishings, artwork and large HD TV's.
Thank you for choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Full of images from the show Portlandia, and the crime novels of Alafair Burke, our family was looking for an unpretentious hotel in Portland with a great location and we found it in The Mark Spenser. We were a block from Powell's a book lover's dream, and an easy walk through the Pearl District, and to the Saturday Market past the fabulous food carts, as well as to the running trails on the Willamette River. Our suite was comfortable and quiet. Staff were helpful. And the free breakfast, tea and cookies, and wine tasting in the first floor dining and living room areas were a very homey touch. We would stay there again and highly recommend the hotel for leisure travel.

Room Tip: The suites have a lot of space as well as minimal kitchen facilities.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
With the show "Portlandia" in mind, I'm happy we didn't disappoint you! Portland is so full of history with many areas retaining their original structures, it makes exploring the city an adventure. Add to that the many popular attractions that are Portland born and bred, and you have a very vibrant city that welcomes every visitor!
I hope you will visit us again soon. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was a great experience. The rooms were very comfortable, the staff outstanding. The location was close and convenient to many of the local stores/restaurants/bars. Parking was safe and secure. I would highly recommend this hotel for any travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel and for your kind comments. I'm happy you enjoyed your visit to Portland and for allowing us to be your host. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest!

Pendleton, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I had a great stay at The Mark Spencer! My friend and I stayed three nights. The newly remodeled room was great! The bed comfy, the bathroom nice, the room great!. The complementary breakfast was more than enough...oatmeal, cereal, croissants, muffins, bagels, toast, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and the espresso machine!!! Lovely! The staff was friendly and helpful. Location, location, location!!!!!! Walking distance to everything! I will definitely stay again for both work and pleasure! Great find!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
We're so glad you found us! Our location is one of the best in town with many Portland attractions within blocks of the hotel - and the trolley runs right outside our front door. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. I will pass them along as they are always happy when they have been of service to our guests!
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at The Mark Spencer Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Mount Vernon, Washington
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Chose this hotel for an overnight stay in Portland on business. Received a room upgrade from a standard queen to a king room with kitchenette. Everything was very clean, but small. The bed was exceedingly comfortable, yet the view from the only window in the room was unappealing, as it faced the over side of the "U" shaped building. The laughable kicker, however, was the very outdated kitchenette. This hotel was renovated in 1960, and the appliances show it. I did not need a kitchenette, so this really wasn't a problem for me, but it's worth mentioning. What I did need was a good night's rest, and that I got in abundance. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel for your visit to Portland. We receive many comments on our beds, so I'm happy you found it comfortable too! As more and more of our guestrooms are renovated, I would love for you to see the difference in the new rooms. Everything has been replaced right down to the plumbing and electrical work. The new furnishings have been carefully selected for your enjoyment - beautiful new bathrooms, carpeting, large HD TV's, artwork, etc.
We would love to have you visit us again the next time you're in Portland. Thank you for being our guest!

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while on a business trip. I was told it was a boutique hotel. Lobby was charming and the area where they have nightly free wine and cheese is very nice. It's when I got into the elevator and stepped into the hallway. It is dated..has dark carpet and all the rooms had dark brown doors. The room was very small, I was checked in for 5 nights and knew i'd be miserable. The "kitchen" was laughable. OLD appliances which are probably worth something bc they are antiques. The room was clean but bathroom was dated. I will try to attach pics, While looking out of my window across to the neighboring building I saw a bunch of guys staring out of their window into the Mark Spencer's windows. I think the building they were in was a hostile..there were rugs hung on the windows as shades! I am from NYC and this reminded me of an area I would stay away from..The staff is friendly and apparently a lot of people like this hotel. It just wasn't for me.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Lisa D
I'm so sorry you were disappointed with the hotel during your stay. While not all of our rooms have been renovated yet, our guestroom corridors are brand new with beautiful artwork, crown molding and guestroom doors. The hotel is located in the new, revitalized West End District, with new shops, restaurants, theatre, outdoor markets and many more exciting things to see and do. I hope you were able to visit some of our new neighbors.
Thank you for your review and for being our guest.