“minor snag or two but continues to excel for us” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Philomath, Oregon
“minor snag or two but continues to excel for us”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This time we booked the combination Jimmy Maks nightclub show, meal and room combo. Check in went fine but we had room on the lower floor that was a little noisy with the trolly and rapid transit. Fortunately it was Friday night and Saturday morning and didn't bother us hardly at all.

Some one mixed up our tickets for the show but they got that straightened out most cheerfully. While we were out enjoying the afternoon, and early evening they brought us a sorry note,gift of wine and chocolates. Bravo. We aren't hard to please and the Mark Spencer will continue to be our choice of lodging on the west side of the Willamette, and it is right in the Pearl District. Excellent staff, parking, snacks, coffee. We are just so pleased

Room Tip: I would say upper floors are a bit quieter. We really have no qualms about staying here again and a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oregonyessir
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your time in reviewing the Mark Spencer Hotel. I would like to apologize for any confusion with your Jimmy Mak's tickets and am happy we were able to secure the correct tickets for you. I hope you enjoyed the show! The next time you find yourself in Portland, we would love to have you as our guests once again.
Enjoy the summer!
Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've been staying at the Mark Spencer in Portland for many years. Its almost a home away from home. I wouldn't call it luxurious but it is classy and the staff is always friendly and helpful. The rooms are simple but nicely appointed. The hotel has been slowly renovated over the last few years and some rooms have been freshened up. Most of the rooms come with a tiny kitchen area. The small suites are very nice, like a small apartment. The beds are very comfortable. Many of the rooms come with a small dressing area, which is a departure from the tiny closets that many hotels have today.
The best part is the location. One block from the legendary Powell's Books. 200 feet from Stumptown. 100 feet from Kenny & Zukes. And there is a fabulous new little French bakery in a small arcade nearby. But I'm not telling some of my other secrets.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to street noise, ask for a room facing the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to personally thank you for your many years as a guest of the Mark Spencer Hotel. We love to hear from you and the changes you see taking place within the hotel and the city. It seems you have several favorite places you like to share and some you like to keep a secret! It's always nice to love a city so much as to have places you revisit each time you return. We love Portland, too! We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to the hotel and I would personally like to welcome you back the next time you visit.
Have a wonderful summer.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I loved this hotel. The staff were so nice, and the room just great. They serve cookies and coffee in the afternoon, and a wine paring with cheese and crackers around 4 pm - lovely. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. And an outstanding feature of the room were the
unbelievably soft bed linen. I asked the receptionist and she was prepared ; obviously I wasn't the first one to ask. They are Comphy sheets and you can buy them online. I'd go back to this hotel just for the sheets, but everything else was great too. They also have a laundry and a workout room in the basement, which was very useful

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite, which was really a small apartment - big bathromm, lovely living room, private...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your kind review! We do get many inquiries regarding our linens. They're certainly something to look forward to after a day of sightseeing! So glad you could join us for our evening wine reception. The 5-6pm wine tasting has become one of our favorites. We get to chat with you as well as showcase some of Oregon's finest wines. Our staff is always eager to assist with dining suggestions, theatre options and tax free shopping! Each one has their favorites and loves to share that information with our guests. Thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

All the best,

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

After an 8 hour car drive we arrived at the entrance to the Mark Spencer Hotel. There is no private entrance only two on road designated parking spots which were filled. After driving around the hotel about six times we eventually gave up since there was no sign of the driver of either car or any employee from the hotel to give us instructions. We drove down the street to paid parking while I headed off to the front desk to check in. I have stayed in hundred of hotels over the years and have never been in a situation where I had to park my car in a paid parking lot in order to check in. The hotel should have valet parking or at least someone welcoming guests .

I overheard an employee later on tell a newly arrived guest that they could park their car in-front while they took their bags to their rooms. Really should this be an option during check in times with only two temporary spots. Like me there were other guests arriving waiting for the two spots to open up. The car behind me even received a parking ticket while he ran into the hotel to ask for instructions.

When we eventually made it to the desk there were three agents running around and not one took the time to tell the guests in line that they would be with them in a moment. No eye contact was made not good considering the welcome received.

The room was clean but the internet sketching considering one of my party was planning on working remotely. We asked for a late check out mainly because of the sketchy internet and not being able to complete a project which was on a deadline. However when we asked if we could leave the car in the garage for another 1 1/2 hours we were told this was not possible.

Really does a hotel guest want to hear an employee tell them that "we have already extended a late check out to you and now you want to use the garage for another 11/2 hours, sorry it is not possible".

So we left the hotel and the half empty garage to drop one of our party off at a Starbucks to use the internet while I parked on a side street for 1 1/2 hours waiting for her to finish. I did not feel comfortable parking my car on the street with our suitcases and shopping in it.

I would suggest that the management invest some time in training and giving the front desk staff authorization to make decisions, like extending parking to guests for another few hours. It would have made a big difference to us and maybe reinstated confidence in your hotel.

Having said that the location was excellent and the rooms very comfortable.

We stayed at another hotel prior to this were the staff were exceptional.

Would I recommend this hotel, absolutely not.... I arrived at the hotel feeling agitated and left feeling angry.

Room Tip: Request a room not overlooking the concrete wall.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carrie A
Thank you for your feedback. I would like to apologize for any service issues you experienced as our guest. We do have several parking spots in front of the hotel, which is only a 15 minute zone to unload your luggage and check in. Unfortunately, our bellman was unavailable as he was helping another guest with their arrival. We had quite a few check-ins on the day you arrived and if you did not receive an immediate greeting from my front desk staff, I again, would like to apologize. We try to accommodate all of our guests requesting late check-outs from guestrooms and the parking garage, knowing that this simple request can be a big help to you. If you would like to phone me, I would love the opportunity to discuss these issues with you and revisit this with my staff.
Warm Regards,
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I visit Portland quit a bit and stay at various hotels. Recently I was in Portland and booked this hotel for a 3 night stay and I found it to be a very nice choice. Old fashion charm and best of all was it's location. Right in the heart of town with good restaurants and places to shop. The Mark Spencer also has parking. I liked the location of the hotel and the area. I do recommend staying here if you come to Portland. You will enjoy this property. I am sure!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm so glad you found us! Our location is ideal for the traveler who wants to experience every corner of downtown Portland. Our city is remarkably easy to maneuver around and our staff is always available to recommend dining, shopping, theatre, etc. options for you. We hope to see you again soon! Thank you for choosing the Mark Spencer Hotel.
Have a wonderful summer.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

This place has some history but our room smelled and our only window opened into a central channel above the atrium to give the rooms some light. Great location! The staff were good, as was the breakfast and happy hour!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. The Mark Spencer Hotel is a historic gem with a fascinating past as one might expect of a hotel over 100 years old. We are moving through a complete renovation process and as more of our guestrooms are being remodeled, they are transforming into beautiful guest spaces.
I'm happy you were able to join us for our evening wine tasting - hope you had a fresh baked cookie, too! If you find yourself in Portland again, we would love to have you as our guest to enjoy our new, beautiful rooms.
All the best!
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Mark Spencer, an older hotel with renovated rooms, served our needs well during a three night stay in early June. Lower floor rooms were dark but quiet and spacious. Service was excellent. Price was competitive. Sound proofing was surprisingly good. Location was ideal for walking, access to the good and inexpensive public transportation system, and closeness to the entertaining Pearl District with its restaurants (don't miss Yama Sushi or Andina or Lovejoy Bakery), shops (especially Powell's Books), galleries, and ice cream parlors (like Cool Moon). Even Voodoo Donuts and Chinatown were nearby enough for a longish walk or short taxi or transportation trip. Only downtown and the riverside are a bit farther away. Many places to eat and have good coffee very close after a day of tourism (including Stumptown and Jake's Grill a few doors away and Cheryl's around the corner).

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor for more light.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We love to hear about your Portland favorites! Everyone seems to find just the right place to call their own and Portland has many wonderful restaurants, shopping, theatres, etc. to choose from. Every city block is an adventure and I'm happy to hear you found some of Portland's best - Powell's Bookstore, VooDoo Donuts, Jake's, Cheryl's and Cool Moon.
I hope when you plan your next visit to Portland, you will allow us to be your host once again. Thank you for being our guest!
Warm Regards,