Stayed for four nights with teenage daughter, destination Portland for a fun summer road trip. Found this hotel by looking for downtown location, Trip Advisor recommendations, and price.
Many great things about this hotel, not in any particular order:
1. Location -- this is walking distance from anything downtown. We had a car but only needed for a visit the coast.
2. Staff -- so friendly, accommodating and helpful. Couldn't ask for better.
3. Price -- I didn't get an email confirmation, so the day we were arriving I kinda panicked and thought I'd better check the website to make sure they have rooms in case my reservation had issues (of course I could have called, but who does that?!! LOL!), and I found that a queen suite was less expensive than a king standard. We stayed in the king the first night, then they were happy to let me switch to the other room the rest of the stay. The difference paid for the parking ($20/day, very typical in downtown Portland) and then some! They offer a AAA discount, too. Oh, and the hotel will let you try their own version of Priceline, right on their website, "Make them an offer."
4. Cookies and wine and coffee -- there are always cookies, good ones, and every afternoon a wine "tasting" with cheese and crackers. And you can take the glass to your room. There is an awesome coffee available at no charge 24/7, and it makes regular, espresso drinks, etc., with the push of a button.
5. Beds -- comfortable! Lovely linens!
6. Free wifi!
And some general observations:
The kitchens were complete, but oddly, no microwave. Rooms very clean!
The breakfast was minimal with cereal, toast, boiled eggs, and we always went to Cheryl's (around the corner and the restaurant that serves as the hotel's "room service"). Loved that restaurant, especially the yogurt parfait.
Parking is secure and safe, underground, with key access to open the garage door.
Noise level was low even with a street-view room.
Loved our stay at the Mark Spencer! Highly recommend it, and would definitely return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the world of hospitality, there are a few unexpected places in which timeless European flair, cultured style and Old World courtesy are vibrantly alive. These lasting impressions are also accompanied by a profound respect for another very precious aspect: your comfort. Welcome to The Mark Spencer Hotel, an exceptional value in the hub of the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mark Spencer Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mark Spencer Hotel Portland
- Mark Spencer Portland