“A gem that is getting polished each day”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #8 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Peoria, Arizona
“A gem that is getting polished each day”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

What a neat hotel and yet one with several contradictions. We had an updated room & it us so cool with original brick of this 100 year old hotel but with modern look & amenities. Our room had a small kitchen with everything but the coffee for next morning! Had to go down to the lobby. Bathroom was tiny (only one at a time & no room for your toiletries). Gorgeous bedding and comfy beds. Location is close to everything downtown.

• Stayed July 2014
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
I loved your description of the hotel! We are a "gem that is getting polished each day" with rooms being renovated, beautifully remodeled corridors and new designs for our lobby and public areas. We are exposing and preserving much of the original brickwork and wooden beams in the guestrooms. This is truly a labor of love and the finished product is a beautiful part of history. I hope you will return to see more of this lovely, 100+ year old building. Thank you for being our guest. Have a wonderful summer!
Warm Regards,
Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Korean first
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2014

First the pros
1. Excellent location!- we were able to walk to almost everything (Downtown and Pearl District)and had easy access to public transportation. Also a block away from Ruby Jewel Scoops- very delicious ice cream!
2. Very nice and helpful staff
3. Room was comfortable and had a kitchenette (stove and full size fridge)

As far as negatives, as other reviewers have pointed out..
1.It could use a facelift- elevators are a little slow and scary; although the room looked fine, the bathroom needed some work - it had some cracked tiles and a very rusty towel rack
2. Remodeling noise! The sign posted said that work would take place between 9 am and 5 pm everyday but by 8:30 we could hear people getting ready. Obviously the work is needed but if you like sleeping in past 8:30, I would definitely ask about it before booking because I am not sure if the work was being done on every floor.
3. Underwhelming breakfast- not a lot of selection (hard boiled eggs, bagels, bread, muffins croissants, bananas, yogurt) and more importantly, not very tasty. After the first day, we had breakfast elsewhere.
4. WiFi is free but only for up to 2 devices. It wasn't the biggest deal in the world for us but I think they should make that clear on their website.

The location and price made this hotel worth it for us and overall we had a nice stay. For a nicer hotel, you probably need to pay more or stay in a different area.

Room Tip: Ask about the remodeling work before you book. Work took place on weekdays between 9 am and 5 pm. O...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
We love our location, too! We are in the heart of the new West End District and only a block or two from amazing dining, tax-free shopping and Powell's Bookstore! I'm so happy you found Ruby Jewel's Ice Cream right around the corner. It's so nice on a hot summer day. I was a bit concerned about noise waking you up at 8:30am. We are pretty vigilant about the time renovation can begin in the morning. I will check with our crew to see that it doesn't happen again. Thank you for letting me know.
I hope you will consider staying with us again if you find yourself back in our beautiful city. I would love to show you all the changes that are taking place at the hotel.
All the best,
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We arrived much earlier than expected but they allowed me to park which was nice.
Check in went very well and professional staff.
The room was a bit dated and my Wife did not like the smell for it was a bit funny.
Our view was another window across from us so not much to say other than you must keep the blinds closed at all times.
Had a outdated kitchen which appeared to be never used but fridge was handy.
It is due for a upgrade and this was going on in some of the rooms during our stay.
You can not beat the location.
The room was not cheap and would look for something a bit more modern in same price range.

Room Tip: not the third floor for no view Room 311.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I would like to thank you for staying with us and would love to have you back to experience one of our beautiful, renovated rooms. Unfortunately, the room you were in during your stay has not been remodeled yet. As we complete more rooms, the entire look of the hotel is changing and I hope that you will come back to see the beautiful, new design. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope you have a wonderful summer!
Warm Regards,

SLC, Utah
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed for four nights with teenage daughter, destination Portland for a fun summer road trip. Found this hotel by looking for downtown location, Trip Advisor recommendations, and price.

Many great things about this hotel, not in any particular order:

1. Location -- this is walking distance from anything downtown. We had a car but only needed for a visit the coast.
2. Staff -- so friendly, accommodating and helpful. Couldn't ask for better.
3. Price -- I didn't get an email confirmation, so the day we were arriving I kinda panicked and thought I'd better check the website to make sure they have rooms in case my reservation had issues (of course I could have called, but who does that?!! LOL!), and I found that a queen suite was less expensive than a king standard. We stayed in the king the first night, then they were happy to let me switch to the other room the rest of the stay. The difference paid for the parking ($20/day, very typical in downtown Portland) and then some! They offer a AAA discount, too. Oh, and the hotel will let you try their own version of Priceline, right on their website, "Make them an offer."
4. Cookies and wine and coffee -- there are always cookies, good ones, and every afternoon a wine "tasting" with cheese and crackers. And you can take the glass to your room. There is an awesome coffee available at no charge 24/7, and it makes regular, espresso drinks, etc., with the push of a button.
5. Beds -- comfortable! Lovely linens!
6. Free wifi!

And some general observations:

The kitchens were complete, but oddly, no microwave. Rooms very clean!
The breakfast was minimal with cereal, toast, boiled eggs, and we always went to Cheryl's (around the corner and the restaurant that serves as the hotel's "room service"). Loved that restaurant, especially the yogurt parfait.
Parking is secure and safe, underground, with key access to open the garage door.
Noise level was low even with a street-view room.

Loved our stay at the Mark Spencer! Highly recommend it, and would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gigi T
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
What a wonderful way to spend the summer on a road trip with your daughter! I'm sure you both found many things to do in Portland with our Farmer's Markets, theatres. Rose Garden, Chinatown, tax-free shopping and the many events happening all over the city. I hope you found your way to Powell's Bookstore! I appreciate all your comments listing the things you and others love about the Mark Spencer Hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I hope your road trip is filled with fun and adventure!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

What a great little spot! This hotel was everything we were looking for. The rooms were a great size and the staff kept our room in magnificent condition everyday, even going to the extent of keeping our shoes lined up! The staff at the counter, John, Brian and a stunning young lady were just lovely. They had great suggestions of sight seeing, took the time to highlight maps for us, informed us of public transport..absolutely everything they had covered! Breakfast was lovely, as was the wine tasting in the evening. It was such a pleasent stay and one of the best hotels I have stayed at in a long time...the staff just make it such an enjoyable stay and it was in a very convenient location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Wow! Thank you so much for the lovely compliments. Our staff truly enjoys being of service to our guests and sharing their love of Portland. I will pass along your comments to John, Brian and all of our "stunning" ladies at the front desk. I'm always happy when our guests have enjoyed the evening wine tasting. It's a great time for us to get to know you and for you to become familiar with our award winning Oregon wines. Thank you for staying with us. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest.
All the best,
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Christina was fabulous! The staff, especially John and Michael, could not have been more helpful. Suggesting places to eat and side trips, printing maps for us, and being genuinely friendly....... This certainly was noted by four women traveling together from the south. It was wonderful having plenty of room to spread out and the location was perfect for walking. Loved the beds and linens!

Room Tip: Room 302 was perfect!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Greetings from the Pacific Northwest! I'm so happy you enjoyed your visit to Portland coming all the way from Georgia. We loved having you and your friends stay with us and I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Christina, John and Michael. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Redford, Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was in Portland for 4 days on a solo adventure and wanted to stay downtown so I didn't have to worry about driving in an unfamiliar city. The Mark Spencer accommodated my budget with their Washington Plaza studio apartments, which was only 2 doors down from their secure parking garage. Nice, simple breakfast each morning. The only con was an additional per night fee to park, which was pricey.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, ask about the Washington Plaza studios. They don't seem to advertise...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JustPeachy19
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Portland. The city is very pedestrian friendly with short blocks so walking around is quite easy and enjoyable. I know downtown parking can be expensive, but we do offer one the the least expensive options in town. I truly appreciate getting your feedback and hope to see you again soon. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!