“Great Room”
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #9 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed in a renovated room on the 6th floor. The bed was great, huge flat screen, shower and bathroom was all new and spacious. The room was above average size, estimate it to be 700 sq/ft. Staff was great, breakfast was 7/10 as it was basic. Self serve coffee machine was the real deal. Parking lot parking for $20 just across the street. Easy walk to food carts, Henrys Tavern, court house square pretty much anywhere down town. Fitness room was small, but everything was brand new industrial grade. Brand new A/C in my room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

It sounds as if you found a few of Portland's unique places, which are some of our favorites, as well! The food carts are only 2 blocks from the hotel - choosing what to eat is the difficult part! Henry's 12th Street Tavern is also within 2 blocks of the hotel - a lovely restaurant in the old Henry Weinhard Brewery. Thank you for sharing your Portland experience with us and I hope you will visit again soon.

There are newer reviews for Mark Spencer Hotel

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The hotel is located close to bars, restaurants, things to do, shopping and transit. Loved the location. That being said, the hotel itself was not great. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, but kind of dated. It's seems they took an old apartment building and they did not do a whole lot of updating when they turned it into a boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any rooms without a kitchen in the middle of the room and without the need to walk...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Portland. I would like to personally thank you for choosing to stay with us. We truly have the best location in town and I'm sure you found many favorite places to eat and shop! While the size of our rooms won't change during renovation (still spacious), the new look becomes a beautiful blend of modern and traditional. I hope if you visit our city again, you will let us show you the new designs. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest!

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

What a neat hotel and yet one with several contradictions. We had an updated room & it us so cool with original brick of this 100 year old hotel but with modern look & amenities. Our room had a small kitchen with everything but the coffee for next morning! Had to go down to the lobby. Bathroom was tiny (only one at a time & no room for your toiletries). Gorgeous bedding and comfy beds. Location is close to everything downtown.

• Stayed: July 2014

I loved your description of the hotel! We are a "gem that is getting polished each day" with rooms being renovated, beautifully remodeled corridors and new designs for our lobby and public areas. We are exposing and preserving much of the original brickwork and wooden beams in the guestrooms. This is truly a labor of love and the finished product is a beautiful part of history. I hope you will return to see more of this lovely, 100+ year old building. Thank you for being our guest. Have a wonderful summer!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

First the pros
1. Excellent location!- we were able to walk to almost everything (Downtown and Pearl District)and had easy access to public transportation. Also a block away from Ruby Jewel Scoops- very delicious ice cream!
2. Very nice and helpful staff
3. Room was comfortable and had a kitchenette (stove and full size fridge)

As far as negatives, as other reviewers have pointed out..
1.It could use a facelift- elevators are a little slow and scary; although the room looked fine, the bathroom needed some work - it had some cracked tiles and a very rusty towel rack
2. Remodeling noise! The sign posted said that work would take place between 9 am and 5 pm everyday but by 8:30 we could hear people getting ready. Obviously the work is needed but if you like sleeping in past 8:30, I would definitely ask about it before booking because I am not sure if the work was being done on every floor.
3. Underwhelming breakfast- not a lot of selection (hard boiled eggs, bagels, bread, muffins croissants, bananas, yogurt) and more importantly, not very tasty. After the first day, we had breakfast elsewhere.
4. WiFi is free but only for up to 2 devices. It wasn't the biggest deal in the world for us but I think they should make that clear on their website.

The location and price made this hotel worth it for us and overall we had a nice stay. For a nicer hotel, you probably need to pay more or stay in a different area.

Room Tip: Ask about the remodeling work before you book. Work took place on weekdays between 9 am and 5 pm. O...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

We love our location, too! We are in the heart of the new West End District and only a block or two from amazing dining, tax-free shopping and Powell's Bookstore! I'm so happy you found Ruby Jewel's Ice Cream right around the corner. It's so nice on a hot summer day. I was a bit concerned about noise waking you up at 8:30am. We are pretty vigilant about the time renovation can begin in the morning. I will check with our crew to see that it doesn't happen again. Thank you for letting me know.
I hope you will consider staying with us again if you find yourself back in our beautiful city. I would love to show you all the changes that are taking place at the hotel.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We arrived much earlier than expected but they allowed me to park which was nice.
Check in went very well and professional staff.
The room was a bit dated and my Wife did not like the smell for it was a bit funny.
Our view was another window across from us so not much to say other than you must keep the blinds closed at all times.
Had a outdated kitchen which appeared to be never used but fridge was handy.
It is due for a upgrade and this was going on in some of the rooms during our stay.
You can not beat the location.
The room was not cheap and would look for something a bit more modern in same price range.

Room Tip: not the third floor for no view Room 311.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for staying with us and would love to have you back to experience one of our beautiful, renovated rooms. Unfortunately, the room you were in during your stay has not been remodeled yet. As we complete more rooms, the entire look of the hotel is changing and I hope that you will come back to see the beautiful, new design. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope you have a wonderful summer!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed for four nights with teenage daughter, destination Portland for a fun summer road trip. Found this hotel by looking for downtown location, Trip Advisor recommendations, and price.

Many great things about this hotel, not in any particular order:

1. Location -- this is walking distance from anything downtown. We had a car but only needed for a visit the coast.
2. Staff -- so friendly, accommodating and helpful. Couldn't ask for better.
3. Price -- I didn't get an email confirmation, so the day we were arriving I kinda panicked and thought I'd better check the website to make sure they have rooms in case my reservation had issues (of course I could have called, but who does that?!! LOL!), and I found that a queen suite was less expensive than a king standard. We stayed in the king the first night, then they were happy to let me switch to the other room the rest of the stay. The difference paid for the parking ($20/day, very typical in downtown Portland) and then some! They offer a AAA discount, too. Oh, and the hotel will let you try their own version of Priceline, right on their website, "Make them an offer."
4. Cookies and wine and coffee -- there are always cookies, good ones, and every afternoon a wine "tasting" with cheese and crackers. And you can take the glass to your room. There is an awesome coffee available at no charge 24/7, and it makes regular, espresso drinks, etc., with the push of a button.
5. Beds -- comfortable! Lovely linens!
6. Free wifi!

And some general observations:

The kitchens were complete, but oddly, no microwave. Rooms very clean!
The breakfast was minimal with cereal, toast, boiled eggs, and we always went to Cheryl's (around the corner and the restaurant that serves as the hotel's "room service"). Loved that restaurant, especially the yogurt parfait.
Parking is secure and safe, underground, with key access to open the garage door.
Noise level was low even with a street-view room.

Loved our stay at the Mark Spencer! Highly recommend it, and would definitely return!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gigi T
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

What a wonderful way to spend the summer on a road trip with your daughter! I'm sure you both found many things to do in Portland with our Farmer's Markets, theatres. Rose Garden, Chinatown, tax-free shopping and the many events happening all over the city. I hope you found your way to Powell's Bookstore! I appreciate all your comments listing the things you and others love about the Mark Spencer Hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I hope your road trip is filled with fun and adventure!
Have a wonderful summer!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

What a great little spot! This hotel was everything we were looking for. The rooms were a great size and the staff kept our room in magnificent condition everyday, even going to the extent of keeping our shoes lined up! The staff at the counter, John, Brian and a stunning young lady were just lovely. They had great suggestions of sight seeing, took the time to highlight maps for us, informed us of public transport..absolutely everything they had covered! Breakfast was lovely, as was the wine tasting in the evening. It was such a pleasent stay and one of the best hotels I have stayed at in a long time...the staff just make it such an enjoyable stay and it was in a very convenient location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Wow! Thank you so much for the lovely compliments. Our staff truly enjoys being of service to our guests and sharing their love of Portland. I will pass along your comments to John, Brian and all of our "stunning" ladies at the front desk. I'm always happy when our guests have enjoyed the evening wine tasting. It's a great time for us to get to know you and for you to become familiar with our award winning Oregon wines. Thank you for staying with us. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest.