“Good Bang for your Buck” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver, Canada
“Good Bang for your Buck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

You really couldn't ask for a better location: downtown within walking distance, Powell's books two blocks away, public transport to anywhere in the city within three short blocks, and lots of restaurants nearby. Also, if you want to get a kitchenette, there is a Whole Foods two blocks away for groceries. We ended up in an unrenovated room, which was still well-maintained and spotless, and frankly better than other two and three star hotels I've been in in bigger cities. The hotel offers a modest continental breakfast and an afternoon wine-tasting, all gratis, and again, for the price of the hotel, very pleasing and within expectations. I've had worse breakfasts in Paris and New York in much more expensive hotels. I couldn't believe the lack of traffic noise. I would definitely stay here again.

Cleanliness
1 Thank Tricia L
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed walking around our beautiful city! Even though the city blocks are short, Portland manages to attract many wonderful restaurants, shops, pubs, etc., to fill them up! My staff is always happy to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay. I will pass along your kind words to my housekeeping staff. We love to have our neighbors from Canada stay with us and hope to see you again soon!
Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Korean first
Delta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Mark Spence is in an older building within walking distance to most things in downtown Portland. I found parts of the facility a bit dated; You can tell that great effort is put in to maintaining things. Everything was clean. The bed was great. I feel the price was slightly high for the quality.

Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DarthYoga
You're right in recognizing the age of our beautiful, historic building! It was built in 1907 and can boast of being the oldest hotel in Portland. With that said, we are preserving much of the original structure by exposing the brickwork and wooden beams, which can be seen in some of the newly renovated rooms. We are also replacing all the old plumbing and electrical, adding beautiful glass tile bathrooms, updated stainless steel kitchens, raised ceilings with crown moulding along with all new furnishings, carpeting, artwork, and many more thoughtful touches. I do hope you will return to see the improvements.
All the best,
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

The location is great-just off the Pearl District, 2 blocks from Powells Book Store, a great brew pub and many other eating places, and on a streetcar line. Rooms are old and in need of refurbishing. Breakfast is crowded. It's priced lower than many Portland hotels, so you get what you pay for. Staff is good. The location - hard to beat it. I would stay there again because it is so conveniently located. Wife is not so sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
As I'm reading your review, I stopped to reflect on the mention of our location. It is one of the best in town and with the renovation of our guestrooms, it will be hard to beat! I would like to invite you back to experience our beautiful, new rooms and personally take you on a tour to show you all the improvements we've made along with what's to come. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to seeing you again.
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

When I booked the Room - I called and told them my son was in a wheelchair the said . No problem, they lied! Many problems for $400 a night Service was awful... Do not stay here. Staff does not follow up with you, even though they promised they would. Rooms - oh I met the Suite we got was awful

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Opoippoooo
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for any problems you encountered during your stay. We try to be as accurate as possible when describing our hotel to our online travel partners (Expedia, etc), so you, as the consumer, will be able to select a room best suited for your needs. We do not advertise ADA rooms at this time and, with that said, try to accommodate all of our guests requests. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you personally, should you have some time to speak with me.
Kind Regards,
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really hate to give a very average review to a place that from my perspective tried hard. The front desk service was great and extremely helpful. The coffee, tea, and cookies were so nice. The hotel offered happy hour (wine and apps) and tea (cookies) as well as a decent breakfast although we were so busy we weren't able to take advantage. It was still nice that it was offered. Having said that, the hotel is very old. We were upgraded to an executive suite which included a really dated kitchenette. I kind of wish we hadn't been upgraded because the kitchenette was very old- old wood cabinets, old appliances, and not really necessary for us. In looking around the downtown area, I don't know that I saw any hotel that looked more modern or updated, so maybe this is par for the course in downtown Portland? The bed was comfortable, linens were nice, and the towels were fluffy. The shower dripped a lot which is a personal anxiety of mine... and didn't get that warm. Hotels in Portland were expensive in general when we looked. I was surprised by this since none of them seem very new. Location was fantastic- right in the pearl district.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank schifjo
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
I would like to thank you for your honest review and for mentioning our excellent staff and other hotel amenities Portland is centered around restoring its current buildings while preserving the history of the city.The Mark Spencer Hotel is one of the oldest hotels in Portland, dating back to 1907. It still retains it's historic character, which can be seen in many areas of the hotel. However, I would love to have you back to experiance our beautiful, new guestrooms that will leave you with a totally different opinion. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and I hope you will return to see the beautiful transformation.
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The rooms were well appointed, clean, and laid out well. Service was great. Great location. Just a block south of the Pearl District, you can easily walk to a lot of interesting parts of Portland proper. You will need a car or transportation to get to attractions outside of the city core. Mass transit close and reliable. From the hotel you can head south to original downtown. North to Pearl and East to Voodoo donuts. On 3rd and 5th ave are pods of food trucks that offer some really interesting food. Couple blocks north is a Whole Foods Market. If you need parking the hotel offers parking in an adjacent garage for $20 day. The rooms were a little outdated but they are in the process of updating all the rooms. Ours was still in good shape.

Room Tip: Ours was quiet even though it was close to elevator. Can't speak to rest of hotel. We only were...
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank bbcmmb
Thank you for your very thoughtful review. There are so many things to love about Portland and you've named many of them. Sometimes a few days is not enough to experience all the festivals, brew pubs, museums, award winning dining and tax-free shopping! We would love to have you as our guest once again if you find yourself back in Portland. Thank you for choosing to stay with us!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This was a return visit to the Mark Spencer and it did not disappoint. Our Junior Queen Suite on the top floor was spacious, clean and comfortable with a top quality mattress and linens. The breakfast featured fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, cereals and a good selection of breads and pastries as well as a fancy coffee machine that made a decent latte. Each afternoon there are home-baked cookies and tea in the lobby and a wine & cheese at 5pm - a great way to relax at the end of the day! And the location couldn't be better for exploring this lovely city...right next to the Pearl District and walking distance to public transit including the train to the airport. I'll be back next time I'm lucky enough to return to Portland!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
We look forward to your return! By then, more of our guestrooms will be completely renovated as well as some of our public areas. These renovations are a true labor of love for us as we are doing more extensive work than merely replacing the furnishings and carpeting. We are installing all new electrical and plumbing, as well as exposing some of the natural character of the building. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Mark Spencer - we hope to see you again soon.
All the best,