Mark Spencer Hotel
Inn at Northrup Station(Portland)
US$219
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
US$214
  • Room Service
Shilo Inns Portland Airport(Portland)(Great Value!)
US$165
Orbitz.com
US$389
US$377
1,854 results
All reviewsthe pearlpowell's booksafternoon cookiesgreat locationcontinental breakfastwine tastingwhole foodsespresso machinewine receptionhard boiled eggsnew york timessmall kitchenwalking distanceolder hotelfood cartstwo blocksyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 August 2014

As other reviews say, great location near the Pearl District and two short blocks from Powell Books and lots of restaurants. The room was a comfortable size; none too big, and had good amenities. A good base for exploring Portland

Room Tip: We had an inside (court) view. It was fine.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank toerist
Pam-Coser, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

We would love to have you repeat! It looks as though you've visited many cities and we appreciate your kind words and for choosing to stay at the Mark Spencer. Safe travels and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here for one night after a long drive up from the Bay Area for work. While the location is wonderful, close to Powell's books etc, I found the service and room to be somewhat lacking in quality.
I arrived late (around 9pm) and was given a room on the fifth floor. During check in I was told that the room was non smoking and I made my way upstairs.
My room had a sitting room, kitchenette and a bedroom, so was very spacious, but had an overwhelming smell of dank, stale cigarette smoke.
I called down to reception to double check that I was in a non-smoking room and to complain about the smell. I was told that there is work being done in the hotel and that lots of "things go on in those corridors that could make the room smell". I was assured that the people in the room before me had not smoked in there because they check carefully. I was not offered the chance to change room or any apology of any kind.
It felt like I was being punished for arriving a little later in the evening. I was shoved away in a the smelliest furthest reaches of the hotel and nobody cared that the whole place stunk of stale cigarette smoke.
The free wifi would've been great, but this room did not get enough of a signal to check my emails.
It even smelled of horrible old, gross barroom carpet under the duvet. Yuck.
It was hard to sleep with the suffocating smell and I couldn't wait to get out of there.
To add insult to injury; while my room was booked through a third party website, the same guy at reception who told me that my room didn't smell because anyone had smoked in there (whatever, not possible), charged the entire room to my card instead of just the taxes he told me he was charging, instead of charging the card my employer booked the room with. So, instead of $25 he charged more than $230 unexpectedly.
Very disappointing. I will not stay here again and do not recommend anyone else does. I have had a great experience staying at Hotel Rose in Portland and will definitely go back there when I am in town on business instead of the Mark Spencer.

Room Tip: Be aware that this hotel in undergoing renovation and make sure to get a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

I am very disappointed that we were unable to get you into a room that was suitable during your visit. This is not our standard of service and I will find out what happened to make sure it is not repeated. When we recieve reviews like yours, it allows us the opportunity to improve our service to you and others. We always want our guests to enjoy their visit with us and try to accommodate each room request. We apparently failed to do this for you and for that, I am sincerely sorry. I would love to have you back to experience our new rooms and our usual high level of service. Thank you for your review as I will use this as a training opportunity for my staff.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We booked a queen suite in the Washington Place building associated with the Mark Spencer ( all the normal hotel rooms were booked). This suite is located in apartment building with key card access at three points. The room is tiny, literally 15x15 ft room,with a kitchenette. The bathroom is so small, it reminded me of the bathroom in an RV. It does have ac but it is a floor unit that occupies one corner of the room. All that being said, the bed is comfy, but the only seating in the room are two very uncomfortable metal chairs. (I think I've seen the same chairs at IKEA ), you know the type , they look sorta cool, but are impossible to get comfortable in. The continental breakfast was the equivalent to the standard fare at a Hampton Inn at the airport. The staff was very nice, and the location is excellent. If I come back to Portland I might stay at this hotel again, but not in this room.

Room Tip: Ask for at least the standard room. Do not rent the queen suite in the hotel annex.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to offer my apologies for our annexed rooms not being as comfortable as you would have liked. While these rooms are not part of the Mark Spencer Hotel, we do offer them to our guests that want this particular downtown location when our hotel is sold out. The annex will also be getting a transformation this fall. If you find yourself in Portland again, we would love to show you the remodel in both the annex and the hotel. Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Friendly staff, Large and clean room at a fair price.
Loved the area as there were plenty of great bars and resturaunts nearby....and a streetcar stop right outside so all areas of Portland are accessable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

My staff loves it when they can help guide our guests to points of interest and share their favorite places. I hope you found many places that became your favorites, as well. If you are ever in our beautiful city again, we would love to have you as our guest. Safe travels and we hope to see you soon!
All the best,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is in the process of renovating its rooms, and we were lucky enough to stay in one that has been recently updated. The look is modern, clean, and comfortable. Excellent beds, beautiful bathrooms. Our room actually wrapped around the elevators, which worried me at first, but the new rooms have excellent soundproofing and it wasn't an issue at all. I love the location of this hotel - right in the middle of downtown with easy access to the myriad of restaurants, cafes, coffee shops (try Stumptown down the street!), and bookstores (Powell's!) that Portland has to offer. The only element that I was slightly underwhelmed by was the (included) breakfast - it had an adequate selection of fruit, cereal, etc., but could be a little more unique or interesting, for being in such a foodie town. Just a minor thing, though - I wouldn't hesitate to stay in this hotel again or recommend it to a friend. Good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room (it seems like they will all be renovated by late fall 2014)
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm so happy you found our new rooms to be comfortable as well as beautiful. We're very excited about the transformation and love it when our guests get excited, too! It's good to hear that noise was not an issue being next to the elevator. We have added extra layers of insulation between each guestroom to reduce the amount of noise you're exposed to. Thank you for being our guest - it was truly our pleasure!