“Excellent location, friendly staff, great room!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #12 of 138 Hotels in Portland
East Providence, Rhode Island
“Excellent location, friendly staff, great room!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

I stayed at the Mark Spencer Hotel for 3 nights in September. This was my first trip to Portland and I had no trouble finding this place at all. I hopped on the Red Line MAX at the airport and it dropped me off right down the street from the hotel. The room was much larger than I'm used to and had a full kitchen. The only bad thing about it was that when I first arrived, my room smelled like vinegar, but it went away. Also, the shower spray was a little bit weak. The continental breakfast was basic, but it was good and saved me some money :)
More Importantly, as far as location goes, it was perfect! I could walk out of the hotel and very easily hop on the streetcar. This place is right in the middle of everything and it was a great jumping off point for exploring my new favorite city! There is a night club close by that was sometimes a little noisy, so if you want total quiet, I wouldn't stay here. The only real drawback to the location I could see, was the homeless population, but they didn't bother me at all. I am a 27 y/o female and I wasn't afraid to walk alone in the area at night (cautious, but not scared). Also, the staff is EXTREMELY nice and not in a phony way. I will definetly stay there again!
PS- be sure to check out Powell's!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank zerralia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
Napa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

Friendly and effecient staff greeted our arrival. Great views of the area from the 6th floor room. Small bathroom, but adequate. If you stay in one of the junior suites with kitchenette, there are no paper products, so bring your own coffee filters, napkins, etc. Sponge and dish soap were provided, though, along with glassware, pots and pans and dishes for 4.

• Stayed September 2009
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Mark Spencer in room 417 from September 27, 2009 to September 30, 2009. Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay.

The room was of average size with a queen-sized bed with nice linens and pillows. The bed was very comfortable. The television had a large number of channel selections, more than the usual hotel room I stay in, as well as pay movies. The kitchen area was sufficient and clean with a large household refrigerator. The room also had a digital thermostat and large desk with chair. The room definitely needed to be spruced up. The door was made of unfinished wood with a 1960s-type plate identifying it as room 417. The closet had bits of paint splattered around with cheap plywood inside. The closet door was also of low quality.

The bathroom was clean, but a little on the small side. The shower pressure was good, but the shower head was positioned lower than usual. There were nice amenities which were attached to the shower wall and you never had to worry about running out of shampoo, conditioner, or shower gel. They also had nice body lotion, cotton swabs, and cotton balls. I was disappointed that they only gave us one tiny bar of soap our whole stay there.

The location of the hotel was very convenient to downtown. Two blocks south is a light rail stop that you can take free to any place in fareless square. The redline rail train to and from the airport (for only $2.30) is also about 4-5 blocks south of the hotel. However, I’d stay out of the area northeast of the hotel in the Chinatown/Old Town district. We walked around there and there was really nothing to see, but there were tons of homeless people congregating around the various missions. There were also other seedy characters on Burnside Street where some strip clubs are located, I would not walk east of Powell’s Books. The main area surrounding the hotel was fine though.

We both enjoyed a pretty decent and free continental breakfast each morning. They had a service attendant doing a good job of cleaning up the seating area and making sure food was replenished. Each afternoon they had free coffee and cookies in a nice seating area. Each morning a free copy of the New York Times was delivered to the room. The staff was friendly as well. The rooftop will soon be open again after they finish renovations. Maid service was very good.

As a side note, do not use Broadway Cab (yellow taxicabs). We had a very bad experience with them and extremely negative online reviews confirmed such. The front desk person told us to use Radio Cab (blue taxicabs).

This is a great hotel if you’re looking for a decent place to stay while exploring Oregon and do not want to pay a lot for a hotel room you’ll only pretty much sleep in. I would definitely stay here again.

Marc T. Hardekopf

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

Friendly, super helpful front desk personnel. Lovely rooms with kitchenettes, so you can economize a bit, which we did by eating dinners "in" and cooking tofu scrambles ourselves. Complimentary breakfast items, such as fruit, muffins, cold cereal, juices in the morning, with coffee machine you can program to make lattes and mochas if so desired - regular (which was roasted and fabulous) coffee from the machine was complimentary (free). Lovely afternoon tea in the inner lobby every day. Helpful staff that directed us to vegetarian restaurants in the area, pulled out maps to assist us in getting on the Portland Streetcar with ease, and figuring out which bus to take to the International Portland Rose Garden. Powells largest independent bookstore, kitty-corner to this place. Within walking distance of the Pearl District, close to the center of downtown, close to Whole Foods, Jake's Crab Shack, Starbucks, Blossoming Lotus (one of the total vegan eating places which shares their building with Yoga Pearl, yoga/massage place). Spent a week at Mark Spencer. This is the place to stay - in the center of everything going on - with excellent service - and personnel. Highly, highly recommended. 10 billion stars.

2 Thank Tawandasalem
Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

I prefer to stay in places with personality, and this hotel, while not fancy, was exactly what i was looking for. The staff at the hotel Mark Spencer go out of their way to make their guests feel welcome. This hotel is eco-friendly.. My room was homey, including a 4 burner range, cooking utensils and full size refrigerator. Great for a longer stay. Mark Spencer is in the Pearl District with Powells book store within sight and Whole Foods within walking distance. The hotel was a great base for exploring the city, and staff was helpful and happy to answer my questions. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Olympia Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

We just ejoyed our third stay at the Mark Spencer. We live north of Portland in Olympia, and particularly like spending mini-vacations in Portland. We occasionally take the train to Portland and choose to stay at the Mark Spencer. It is just a five minute taxi ride to the hotel. If you have a car, the hotel offers parking. Street parking is available, but you may have to park at some distance away.

Likes: It is an older hotel with a very genteel atmosphere; rather hushed with lovely dark wood, a library, and 3pm tea. The continental breakfast has coffee/tea, cereals, bagels, breads, and pastries. Hotel staff are competent and friendly. Maid service is good. The bed was comfortable; the kitchenette sparkling clean, the closet large. The bathroom was tiny, but offered a hairdryer and small toiletries. It is a pet-friendly hotel; we met some very nice dogs and their owners. Bring good walking shoes as so much of interest is within walking distance. The hotel is by the interesting Pearl District, a block from Powell's Book Store, and near the Museum of Art. Some very nice restaurants are close, as well as many deli's. Kenny & Zuke's Deli is immediately across the street and serves very good meals. You can find a variety of ethnic restaurants; we enjoyed our first experience with Lebanese cuisine. Check out the Saturday Market down by Burnside Street and the river. The city streetcar goes right by the hotel; stop/pickup points are close. It is a great way to get a taste of the city north of the river. We will visit the south side of the river on our next trip; we just never have enough time to see everything.

Dislikes: Not a secret - the rooms are small, but since most of our time is spent exploring the city, it's not a real issue. This time our window views were of the adjoining building's brick wall. I cannot eat anything from the Continental Breakfast as I am gluten intolerant. But breakfasts and other meals are easily found nearby.

2 Thank britishcarlover
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

The Mark Spencer is perfect for anyone who loves interesting, funky, weird hotels. This place has old world charm for miles. On our last visit, they upgraded us to a suite. I suspect it was because this suite was on the outside corner facing a bar that was loud until 2. They probably figured that we were young and wouldn't care. They were right, and we loved it! Don't miss the great continental breakfast, or the cute tea in the afternoon.

Perfectly located for anything you want to do in the Pearl District.

1 Thank saradavidson