“The hotel you hope that you find.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mark Spencer Hotel

Mark Spencer Hotel
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Columbia,sc
“The hotel you hope that you find.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

My wife and I stayed in an executive suite for four nights at a really great price. The hotel staff is fantastic, they know what they are doing and are professional and helpful. The hotel itself is in an old building but is very well maintained. The suite has two separate rooms with large flat screen tv's, a little kitchenette with a 60's style electric range, oven and refrigerator. The continental breakfast is good and plentiful, the afternoon cookies and wine tasting are great and the high tech expresso machine (available 24/7) flat rules. You cannot go wrong with this hotel, it is simply great!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OAE38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Korean first
Federal Way WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2010

My husband, daughter and I recently spent four nights at the Mark Spencer, which I chose because it was midway between holiday festivities in both NE Portland and the Tigard/Hillsboro area.

I admit I was not quite sure if I'd find a hotel which "had a certain quaint charm" or one which "needed repair". However, while it does remain a work in progress in a couple of areas, it was definitely a great place to stay for us. Here are some specific examples:

* Great location. Not just to the Pearl District, but for heading to the Lloyd Center neighborhood, and for access to I-5 and Hwy. 26.
* Parking was $18; MUCH less than the other downtown hotels. And it was easily accessible on-site.
* We appreciated the continental breakfast (which was the usual fair of cereal, yogurt, assorted breads and pastries, and hard-boiled eggs) and loved the 24-hour espresso machine. Quite a treat when you come in from the winter weather. They also have cookies and tea in the afternoon, as well as wine-tasting at night, but we were not around to try any of those.
* Great queen bed with warm comforter.
* Daily free NY Times paper (tho I might have preferred USA Today)
* Free high speed internet (a deal-breaker for me!)
* Friendly staff, especially the young man who worked the weekend breakfasts.

Yeah, we could hear our neighbors through the wall a couple of times, the shower didn't drain as fast as I would have liked, and our daughter complained about the pull-out bed. However, ALL of that has happened to me numerous times at other, high-end hotels. I think the price and the other extras here more than made up for those insignificant problems. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights in mid December. I had booked a studio room but when I arrived I was upgraded to a suite room, which made the hotel even better value than it already was. The furniture is a bit dated, as other reviews have said, but in my room it was all still in good condition, and did the job it was supposed to. I was on the seventh floor and had a great view across Portland. The windows seemed to be double glazed so the rooms are really quiet; there are also good quality curtains on all the windows if you need the room to be really dark to sleep. The kitchenette had a good selection of pots and pans, plus a toaster which was useful - I ended up eating breakfast in my room, so can't comment on the free breakfast downstairs. There's a laundry in the basement, although the vending machines for detergent etc. seemed to be out of order. Free wifi was fast and connection strong; you can pay extra for faster speeds, but I don't know why you'd bother - I watched videos etc. with no problems at all.

You can't beat the location - the bookstore Powell's is just one block down the road, and there's a Whole Foods round the corner if you want to cook for yourself in your room. There's also a great selection of food carts just a couple of blocks away. Alternatively, they have an arrangement with a local pizza company for in-room delivery - the pizza was delicious, cheap, and came really quickly.

If you're expecting a luxury boutique hotel, go across the road to the Ace Hotel. If, however, you want a comfortable clean hotel room from which to base your Portland wanderings, this is the place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
warsaw
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

TIP: if you consider to stay at Mark Spencer, it might be good idea to check their website and leave your offer how much you would spend for a night. I offered 69$/night and they accepted it in couple of hours. Although as non-american, I didn't consider that as "netto" price without taxes. Well, nice service anyway.

Plus/minus -list:
+ Great location near Pioneer Square. Powell's is just a block away (also great Buffalo exchange second hand store)
+ Parking space opposite of hotel
+ There was free wine hour that day
+ Free internet for first 15mins
+ Free coffee to-go
+ Basic but ok breakfast
+ Nice service
- Old rooms (quite big though)
- PAPER THIN WALLS (family next to us basically ruined our afternoon nap and morning sleep, on the other hand I know now all kind of ice cream they all like/dislike. Reception didnt pay any attention on little complaint on that - i suppose they hear it a lot)

After all, got what I wanted - budget stay for one night. Will not return though.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mokoma
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

Older Hotel in a great downtown location, nothing fancy but very close to public transportation and within walking distance to many restaurants. Our room was quiet and we could not hear the neighbors. Room is adequate with a small dining table and a somewhat outdated kitchenette (understatement) with refrigerator and microwave. Staff is very friendly and Manager tried to talk to all guests during their stay. They have a nice continental breakfast with many choices and seating in an interior courtyard. Coffee is good and they even have a free espresso/cappuchino machine. Cookies in the afternoon and at 5 pm a wine hour with a choice of local white and red wines and hors d'oeuvres. Wireless internet works well and a morning newspaper made this a pleasant stay. We very satisfied and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank WorldTravelers25
Bend, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2010

Older Hotel in the middle of Downtown, Pearl District. The Executive Suite smelled musty and the hallways even worse. The breakfast was fine but had to wait in line for coffee. Plus there wasn't any room to sit and eat so it was back to the musty room. The evening wine and appetizers were fine because no one attended so there was actually a place to sit. It was located within walking distance to many areas. The bed was very comfortable but the furniture in the living area was frayed and uncomfortable.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sam51766
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

I've stayed in a number of hotels in Portland before, but chose the Mark Spencer due to its location (in between the ceremony and reception sites for a wedding I attended). However, next time I would pick a nicer/newer hotel, for sure.

When I checked in, all of the people behind the desk were chatting and laughing and it took a little time for them to notice that I was there. Once I was able to get into my room, I realized just how old this hotel is. It was clean enough, but ooooold. The room was decently sized, with a partial kitchen, but oooold. I am a fan of modern decor and high-end finishes, and made an error in judgment when booking here. Did I mention how old it is?

The location is right by Powell's and the Pearl District (which is great), but I would have rather stayed somewhere newer and walked the few extra blocks to get to the wedding sites. Considering I didn't get an especially great rate, I really wish I'd put that money towards something a bit more modern.

I would only recommend this hotel to someone who likes old buildings (not in a old "charming" way but in an old "not ever updated" way) or wants easy access to Powell's.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank srlndstrm
gcastaneda, General Manager at Mark Spencer Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to review our hotel. It is through guest feedback that we’re able to respond to the needs of our guests and fulfill our goals: satisfied customers.

With that I must apologize for our lack of attention to your arrival. It is simply inexcusable – please rest assured of it being an isolated incident.

The Mark Spencer Hotel is the oldest hotel in Portland (1907) and we take pride in our long standing legacy. In the last two years we have invested over two million dollars in upgrades; a new energy efficient climate system, new sound insulated windows that open, upgraded furnishings in our lobby area as well as new carpet in all public areas and added a brand new breakfast area, fresh food options and free amenities.

We’re also very excited to continue onto the next stage of upgrades which include all guest rooms, meeting areas and a completely redeveloped rooftop garden.

I hope you join us again in the near future as we become Portland’s premier hotel.

Cordially,