This was really a very "blah" Hotel experience.
It's noteworthy that the military rate is MORE than the standard rate, which is odd...and they won't tell you that, unless you ask directly if it's the lowest price. When I said "But...isn't that more than the base rate for a room?" The young lady helping me with reservations on the phone replied "Well, yes, but since you asked about military rate, I assumed you wanted that price." I bit my tongue and only said I would take the standard rate rather than replying what I was thinking which was...oh yes, I regularly like to pay extra money for no particular reason while thinking I am getting a discount. So, watch out for that if you are a service member or military family.
That said, the rates were reasonable for a good location downtown but I'm surprised Hilton lends their name to this hotel (we were in the main one, not the tower). While the lobby was beautiful, with a winding staircase and huge, finely decorated Christmas tree, as well as polished floors and fine furnishings, the rooms were very tiny and completely without any touches of decor or comfort. I have had nicer rooms in La Quinta Inns. The bathroom was small, no fan, and you had better not be an above-average sized person because if so, you would face the possibility of getting stuck on the toilet, as it was a small toilet wedged uncomfortably close between the sink and wall. There were two of us in the room and we also had to go on a search for enough outlets to plug in chargers for four devices - some of the outlets were placed such that the plugs would not fit into them just based on their location which was odd and frustrating.
Also - very important - request a room far away from the elevator. We were around the corner and three rooms down the hall from the elevator and could hear the elevator rumbling up and down through the our walls as well as the extremely loud "DING" as it arrived on our floor all night long. At first we thought we were hearing a plane overhead until we realized it was coinciding with the "DING" and put our ears to the wall and realized that we were hearing the actual movement of the elevator. All. Night. Long. Rumble - DING - rumble - DING .
As far as the hotel bar and restaurant - the one in the main hotel was extremely expensive (BISTRO 921 RESTAURANT/BAR). $12 for plain oatmeal, and $16 for a glass of 14 Hands wine ($9.99 for a whole bottle at the local Target). There are lots of fantastic places to eat in Portland though, so we didn't make the mistake of eating at the hotel restaurant twice.
A positive was the very friendly staff. The housekeepers on our floor were friendly, said hello, introduced themselves and told us to let them know if we needed anything. The concierge found us a delicious brunch restaurant and the front desk staff very kindly let us check out late for no additional charge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Portland & Executive Tower has been transformed into a modern newly redesigned hotel, conveniently located in the heart of downtown, comprises of two buildings: the landmark Hilton Portland and the upscale Executive Tower with spacious guest rooms and executive level amenities. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown’s business district, exclusive tax-free shopping, authentic restaurants and exciting entertainment venues.* HopCity Tavern & Market - our new restaurant concept featuring a modern American gastro-pub cuisine and a grab and go market featuring Stumptown coffee and grab and go snacks and sandwiches * UPS business center - staffed Mon-Fri and a 24-hour computer/internet access connectivity center * Wireless HSIA available in all guestrooms for a fee * Free Wifi in the lobby * Parking garage - Each building has their own garage for your added convenience. The Executive Tower, soon to be renamed The Duniway Hotel with its own unique boutique flair showcases: * Newly opened Jackrabbit Restaurant by celebrity chef Chris Cosentino * Concierge desk * Complimentary 24-hour fitness room with an indoor waveless lap pool * Computer/internet kiosk available in lobby * Wired and wireless HSIA available in all guestrooms for a fee * Free Wifi in the lobby * Parking garage - Each building has their own garage for your added convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hilton Hotels Direct, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton Portland & Executive Tower reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Portland And Executive Tower
- Hilton Portland & Executive Tower Hotel Portland
- Hilton Portland Executive Hotel
- Portland Hilton