“A Solid Hotel for Business Travelers”

Hilton Portland Downtown
Ranked #37 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Snohomish, WA
“A Solid Hotel for Business Travelers”
Reviewed 24 March 2009

My firm has an office in Portland so I have spent many nights at various hotels in this area over the last five years. I often return to the Hilton Portland & Executive Tower because of its central location for my needs, cleanliness, and consistently good service. I have only encountered occasional problems. I would recommend this hotel to business travelers and couples. I do think it could stand a few upgrades in some respects, but overall I have had good experiences here.

Others have commented on the high quality of the beds here, and I concur. While the other appointments of the rooms are fairly standard I have never found anything broken, damaged or otherwise in need of attention. In short, the rooms I've stayed in have been in good shape. The rooms certainly aren't huge but I wouldn't call them small, either. All the rooms have a desk with an ethernet cable for the internet access. I also rankle at the idea of having to pay more for internet access at a hotel in this day and age, particularly at a hotel that caters to business travelers who often rely on that as a connection to their business. HHonors Golds and up can get this for free, but I honestly think the higher room rate at this hotel should really cover internet access.

As with many hotels I would like to see flat panel TVs in every room and better quality HD channel options. It would be nice if the TVs could also have inputs for computer / DVD sources; some other hotels have this (such as Aloft hotel by PDX) and it is a good amenity.

The fitness center in the building is small and doesn't have free weights, but if you just want to do some cardio and use a universal bench it's serviceable. I understand that guests here can also use the main Hilton hotel's much larger gym and they have free weights.

The main Hilton hotel is kitty-corner to the Executive Tower; I have also stayed there but the last time I did the rooms were in serious need of updating. (To be fair, that was a few years ago.) Reservations for both hotels are made via the same page of the Hilton website, so if reserving a room at the Executive Tower you'll need to select those rooms specifically; usually they are around $20 more per night.

I do recall one occasion when there was limited hot water for my morning shower, but that was about a year ago. I haven't run into that problem again.

The Executive Tower is very close to the light rail or "Max" lines, and when they finish the new "green line" addition (North/South through town) it will run right by this hotel. This is handy for business travelers who fly in and want to avoid renting a car. (The Max red line terminates at PDX.) The hotel is also a stone's throw from many of the primary office buildings, and Portland State is a short walk.

I will admit that when I drive to Portland I usually stay in Beaverton or Lake Oswego for two reasons: (1) nightly room rates at the Executive Tower can lean toward the pricier end of the spectrum and (2) the extra parking charge of 18-20 dollars makes the overall per night cost at the Executive Tower steeper. Staying a little out of town can often be a significant enough savings to make it a better value. Whether you go this route obviously depends on your needs.

I do want to mention that I have always had very good service from the staff here, from the front desk folks to the staff at the Porto Terra restaurant and bar that is inside the hotel.

I've had some good meals at Porto Terra but I usually go elsewhere to eat, primarily because there are plenty of good restaurants in and around Portland to choose from.

Overall, this has been a good place to stay for me as a business traveler. I think couples exploring downtown Portland would also find it a good location. There are other hotels in downtown Portland that I would recommend to people with kids (esp. the Embassy Suites for its bigger rooms).

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank JDSnoho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed here for a few days a couple years ago with my husband. Read the Trip Advisor reviews and requested a room in the Executive Tower. The room was nice, modern, spacious, and clean. Location of the hotel is excellent - close to restaurants, shopping, and sights. There's been quite a few negative reviews I've noticed, so not sure if that's because people are staying in the old tower, or if the hotel has gone downhill since we last stayed here. IWe enjoyed our stay though. In general however, I find the Hilton chain to be unreliable - they tend to just buy old hotels and partially refurbish them. Very hit and miss.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Stayed here for the first round of the NCAA tourney. The facilities are what you would expect from a Hilton, the rooms were nice and the pool was excellent. The thing that set this hilton apart was the over the top customer service from the staff. Every staff member we encountered went out of their way to be as helpful as possilbe. You expect good solid customer service from Hilton staff members in general, but this service went beyond that. It's a great location right in the middle of Downtown Portland. This is an easy hotel to reccomend.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Have stayed here a couple of times previously. The rooms in the executive tower were nice sized - especially when compared with the rooms our friends were staying in at the "nicer" hotel a couple of blocks away. Bed was comfortable and hotel was quiet.

Staff was friendly - check-in was fast, called down for additional coffe and it was there in just a couple of minutes and the valet had the car pulled up by the time we made it down to the lobby.

Only issue was very little hot water in the morning - my shower was luke warm and my partners was cold.

Location is decent - maybe its bad timing but each time we have stayed here, the city of Portland has closed off many of the nearby streets for events and getting back to the highway was not easy and valet staff were unable to provide a ccurate directions as a relut.

Would definitely stay here agin.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
GA
Reviewed 31 January 2009

Good:
-good downtown location
-comfortable bed
-quiet, not once did I hear my neighbors

Bad:
-no hot water 2 of 5 nights
-small room, really small, barely able to walk between bed and dresser.
-internet access and gym are not included and expensive.

• Liked — quiet
  • Disliked — lack of hot water
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GJY
HiltonPortland, Director of Guest Service at Hilton Portland Downtown, responded to this review, 4 February 2009
Thank you for posting your thoughts about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I’m glad you found our location to your liking and were able to enjoy a peaceful and quiet stay without any disruption from neighbors. Thank you for the compliment on the beds being very comfortable, a number of the hotel associates (myself included) own them and we constantly receive positive feedback from our guests on them as well.

While some guests may find the main building guest rooms a bit small, we have completely renovated our guest bathrooms (2006-07) to make better use of the space. Also, we are adding 37 inch Hi-Definition flat panel TVs in early 2009 to help make better use of the space in the main building guest rooms as well. We do offer our Executive Tower guest rooms that can be reserved in advance that provide for about 30% more space.

I’m sorry that you were inconvenienced by a hot water issue. This information has been shared with our Engineering team to find a lasting solution and prevent this from repeating.

Lastly we do offer a complimentary work out facility (in addition to our full service heath club) that is located in the Executive Tower. It will receive a renovation and all new, state-of-the-art equipment by Precor in 2009. In addition to the new equipment, it also features a unique waveless swimming pool for your enjoyment.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 January 2009

My wife had a conference at the hotel so I tagged along for the 4 night stay to see the city since we'd never been there before. Hotel actually has 2 towers that aren't connected but situated diagonally from one another across 2 street corners separated by a 30 second walk so not that big a deal. Lobby is large, modern and we were greeted and checked in in less than a minute. Front desk staff were courteous and efficient. We had a king bed in the executive tower--corner room with a great city view. Furniture looked good to better (1-3 years maybe) no flat screen but nice comforter with 5 pillows and the huge king bed was nice, bathroom was small but fixtures looked well maintained with Kohler faucets. Room overall was nice sized and for 4 days it didn't feel claustrophobic. Mini bar was empty so that was nice for our sodas and water. Gym was the only annoying thing. The gym in the main tower is free only for the pool and hot tub--everything else they charged you to use since it was connected to a private spa. In the executive tower where we stayed the gym is small but free!! 2 treadmills, 3-4 ellipticals, 2 bikes and 2 recumbant bikes, 2 TVs and with a nice pool I was there 3 mornings and it was manageble with the other guests. Hotel is 10 minutes from Pioneer Square shopping with a large food court. Across the street is Pizza Schmizza (excellent!!) and 3 blocks down is a Rite Aid for cheap sodas/water/candies and wine. Skip the hotel gift shop - way overpriced.... All in all, would definitely go back.

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your thoughts about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your visit as well as the complimentary and constructive comments.

I’m happy to let you know, we are adding 37 inch Hi-Definition flat panel TVs in 2009 to provide a better in-room entertainment experience.

Additionally, we will be completely renovating our Executive Tower work out facility this year as well, including all new, state-of-the-art equipment by Precor. I think you will be very pleased with our improvements.

Two other great pizza spots to check out during your next visit: Pizzicato and Hot Lips, both are walking distance from the hotel.

New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 January 2009

My stay at the Hilton has been disappointing at best. The lobby gives a good impression, but the room is tiny. Not a lot of space to move around, much like a NYC hotel but this is not Manhattan.
Also, the furniture looks a bit old and worn out. The bathroom tile was not clean, it reminds me of a youth hostel. I'm wishing I had brought a pair of flip flops with me to wear in the shower. Didn't think it would be necessary at a Hilton Hotel. On top of that, there was no hot water in the dead of winter. I've called front desk a couple of times and they assure me Engineering has resolved the issue with the boilers. My senses though indicate the contrary- water is not even warm! Only positive is that the bed is comfortable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of space/small room, no hot water, not as clean as expected
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)