“Great location. Courteous staff. Climate control didn't work well. No airport shuttle.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Portland & Executive Tower

Hilton Portland & Executive Tower
Ranked #38 of 138 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

I traveled to Portland for the first time on business in February. I enjoyed the Hilton Portland's central location (near streetcar and light rail). The staff was nice and helpful. Overall, I would give the Hilton Portland a 7.5 out of 10.

The reason the Hilton Portland did not get closer to 10 was that the climate control in my room did not work well at all. The thermostat said the air conditioning was at 65 degrees, but my alarm clock/thermometer showed that the room temperature never got below 73 degrees (and this is with 55-degree daytime outside temperature). The AC unit ran constantly. As I got in late in the evenings from meetings and did not want to lose sleep while maintenance worked on the AC, I just dealt with it (73 is not too uncomfortable).

I'm sure the AC issue was just a isolated incident with my room. However, the hotel did show signs of wear and tear (although it was apparent that efforts have been made to put a coat of paint over them).

I did not understand why the Hilton did not offer an airport shuttle. When I arrived at the airport, I saw vans fron the Embassy Suites, Marriott, and numerous other hotels. The additional money out of pocket to get a cab or other transportation is a consideration I am taking into account when planning my trip to Portland in March. Yes the light rail is nice (and cheap), but I don't want to walk blocks to my hotal with luggage in tow, especially if it's raining.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HiltonPortland, Director of Guest Services at Hilton Portland & Executive Tower, responded to this review, 10 February 2010
Thanks for your review and sharing your experience, it is greatly appreciated. I’m so sorry to hear about the challenge you had with your AC system in your guest room. I fully understand wanting to get your rest and not calling for assistance at that time. Please know you can always report a concern and we can schedule a convenient time for you to address such an issue or if needed, arrange a new room.

The airport shuttles you observed serve the hotels located near the airport only and unfortunately do not service the hotels located in downtown. Blue Star shuttles do service the downtown hotels and many guests find it a convenient option when the light rail is not sufficient. It is available for $14 / person one-way.

Again, thanks for choosing to stay with Hilton and for sharing your opinions. We truly appreciate it.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

This is my second stay in the property, and I have to say that it's a very nice Hilton. I stayed at the Executive Tower, and from my understanding it is a little different than the main building. The location can't be beat, you're in the heart of Portland and walk anywhere within the downtown area. As a Diamond member, I was also comped breakfast every morning at either of their restaurants. The breakfasts were delicious, and the rooms and views were fantastic! I'd definitely prefer to stay here the next time I need to stay in Portland.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank CaitlinK
Thank you very much for your review and positive comments. We appreciate hearing from our guests about their visits.

I'm glad you enjoyed your accommodations in the Executive Tower and the complimentary breakfasts that you have earned from us as a HHonors Diamond VIP member.

We'll look forward to your next visit and be sure to check out our Athletic Club in the Mail Building (located on the Plaza Level). As a Diamond VIP, you'll also receive complimentary access daily.
SACRAMENTO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

It could have been me, but a lot of the hotel seemed closed off.... The location is good in this great city..... Staff was friendly,

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review. I'm glad to hear you found the staff and location to be excellent.

We did perform some renovation & maintenance work in the hotel, including Bistro 921 to ensure the hotel would continue to be in great condition. I'm sorry that it felt so closed off; but the work that was completed looks great. I hope you'll visit the Bistro on your next visit and see for yourself.
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

I stayed in a standard king room in the main building on the 17th floor. The room is nice looking but you can tell the hotel is OLD and hasn't been completely redone, just redecorated. For the price my supervisor paid, it wasn't worth it. Was nice to be in the HQ hotel though for the conference I attended though. Just steps to transit which is free in downtown and to the Convention center and cheap to the airport and quicker than a cab.

Pros
- Great Location, close to transit, shops, etc. In a nice area of Portland. I'm a single female and I felt safe walking to the transit stop and back at night. Right across from Columbia Flasgship and Nike Town. Everything you need is close at hand.
-Nice looking rooms at first glance. My room was huge and had what appeared to be nice furnishings. OK view from my room. Nicely decorated
-Bathroom was small but nicely updated. Real stone countertops and tile in the bathroom. bathroom was gorgeous with its curved shower rods, limestone and stone tile work in shower, nice looking vanity but sink was a little small and counter was tiny. Toilet was sort of shoved in randomly. Odd that there was a pocket door to the bathroom though, but there was no room for an actual door.
- Nice lobby, friendly staff. Helpful when I kept demagnetizing my key card for my room (thanks to my BlackBerry case). Restaurant manager was super nice and friendly.
- Concierge was extremely helpful proving maps, and directions to things.
- Nice view depending on what side of the hotel you were on. Unfortunately I did face out onto another tall building directly.
- Restaurant food was good but a little pricy for a student.
- Nice that they kept my luggage secure for me when I went shopping the last day I was in town
- Bathroom was cleaned everyday. New toiletries were brought in every day and were nice Crabtree and Evelyn soaps and shampoos. They donate the leftovers from your room apparently to the homeless shelters.
- Nice supply of stationary
-Extremely comfy bed with plenty of pillows. There was lots of room even with a king sized bed in the room, though two beds in the room would have made the room way too squishy. Linens were crisp, white, and clean.
-Towels were fluffy and soft, nice and clean
- nice desk and comfy chair.
Nice dresser with stone top. Lots of storage.
- Quick checkout - don't have to stop at front desk if in a hurry
- plenty of staff usually
- air conditioning unit was in a large bulkhead under the window, which actually provided a nice place to sit and read, etc.
- nice elevators were quick, had tvs in them turned onto the news (was suprised though when I first saw the TVs)

Cons:
- furniture on further glance was dinged, especially end tables. Chair was ripped a little.
- Plug in didn't work by window. Also, the plug-ins are extremely old and to me appear unsafe. They have multiple things plugged in. Lamps have plug in on base which I had to use since all others were full, but was leery about doing so.
- Light burnt out in bathroom during the last night. :( Told desk about it upon checking out.
- old alarm clock
- carpet was a little worn
- Could tell hotel was just redecorated and not renovated completely - mouldings were old in my room, mirrored clost doors were old, dinged, and had tacky gold trim. Wall paper appeared to be somewhat old. Bulkhead with air conditioner looked ancient
- Air conditioner sounded like a freight train and randomly would come in during the night. I think the keypad was messed up or something since it would come on even though I turned it off. It worked good though
- LOTS of traffic noise - bus runs right outside the hotel on the street. I was up on the 17th floor and could hear a ton of noise at night which made it harder to sleep. Windows are not soundproof and neither are walls
- Wine in restaurant was not so great but I'm not a complainer.
- Not enough hangers in the closet for my clothes (though I did bring a lot)
- Overpriced conference rate for main building. I imagine the executive tower would have been worth it but not the main building. Still, I've stayed in nicer rooms in a Super 8 than this. It was "renovated" to look pretty at first glance. Definitely not worth the $169 a nite.
- Internet is not free ($10 per day) and is wired, not wireless. Cable had a broken end and wouldn't stay plugged into my laptop. Once in a blue moon I could pick up free wifi for a few minutes. SLOW!
- only an old coffeemaker in the room
- tv was only subpar. I expected nicer from a Hilton.
- Bathroom was a bit too small.

It was ok. I think it could be improved a bit more but was fine. Location is spectacular, central to everything. I'd reccomend the executive tower though, not the main building.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cla598
Vancouver,BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

My partner and I stayed at The Hiton Executive Tower for 3 nights over New Year. Check in was quick. The front desk was very helpful. We were in room 1555.
We chose this hotel as it was listed as a gay friendly hotel. It does make a difference to us.
Anyway, the room was spacious and spotless. The bed very comfy. Slept like a log. We enjoyed our stay. We couldn't get the fridge to work but it was our fault for not asking for help. It may have been a setting.
The restaurant was nice. Great location and very friendly staff.
We got an internet special where you pay the full price up front. It was well worth the price. We would stay there again for sure. We were able to have a late 2 hour check out.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vann-mann
Spokane, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

The location in downtown Portland is great, within walking distance of many of the downtown destinations! Some very good restaurants are close by.

Early check-in was a breeze with an efficient front desk. The consierge has always been helpful. (I think his name is Jason.)

Rooms are in very good condition and they are quiet. (Several of the other downtown Portland hotels are very noisy in comparison). The beds are especially comfortable.

The hotel does seems short of staff. They are efficient and business-like that is more than a traveller often gets at a hotel these days.

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank FrequentTraveller56
HiltonPortland, Director of Guest Services at Hilton Portland & Executive Tower, responded to this review, 21 December 2009
Thank you for your positive comments on our hotel. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m sorry your experience felt as though not enough staff was present – we aim to provide for a relaxing and enjoyable stay for our guests and providing profession and personal service from our associates, I'm glad you found them helpful and efficient.

We’ll look forward to your next visit.
Maricopa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

We went to Portland for a TWA Convention---yes TWA is alive and well within its former employees! We arrived on a Thursday night late and the street was rolled up. Not much open for a late dinner including the Hotel's offerings. The room was a good size, nice bathroom. One thing to watch is the Soda vending machines--the diet coke was several months past its "best date" to use by. I gave it to the hotel clerk and that was that. Overall the Hotel was very nice. In the lobby, are several computers just to check in to your airline flight. A business center is available for other uses. Our meeting area was great with good food for our cocktail night/meeting. The dinner was HOT and served nicely. A great place to have a convention! One thing to watch---Portland sometimes has weekend events----a run---early in the morning below our room. It was a run followed by a Holloween walk/run---lots of yelling, screaming, etc. It was interesting to witness this event.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business