“nice style, but too loud to sleep”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #71 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My family and I stayed here on our final night in Oregon after a week on the coast. I booked the room personally while spending a day in Portland before our trip. The staff were very helpful, we got a great rate on a "quiet room" on the "chill side" as far as you could get from the lounge, and indeed the lounge noise was not a problem on the Thursday night we stayed.

Unfortunately, It was impossible to get a good night's sleep due to the constant hum of what we think was the washing machine two floors beneath our room (Rm. 224) and a parade of garbage trucks emptying bins from about 2:30 - 4:00 in the morning. As others have reported, you could also hear water being used in nearby rooms. The problem is that the infrastructure of the hotel is more Motel 6 than Holiday Inn. The rooms are small, and walls are very thin. We all enjoyed the cool interior design and the overall feel of the place. The staff were very nice. I mentioned the noise upon check out and they were apologetic and comped us a $3 water we drank. But I think they either knew or should have known about the noise problem in this room and not used it to fulfill my request for a quite room so that we could get a good night's sleep before our morning flig

But I can't recommend it as a place to sleep, and despite the good rate decided not to stay here again when I return on a business trip planned for next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2011

This is definitley a party hotel! For starters, it has an adult shop, tattoo parlour and a nightclub on site. It is young and trendy and everyone is there to party. Make friends with your neighbours and have fun. A short walk to Portland city centre

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I come to Portland every summer and usually spend at least 1 night in the city before or after going to the coast. I have stayed in this hotel before and it was really fun- great neighborhood, great restaurant attached and bars to walk to. I always knew that the decor was modern Ikea chic, nothing luxurious but always clean and fun. This time though I booked through a 3rd party website and I don't know if that had anything to do with it but when we opened the door to our room, my eyes hit the back wall where I expected the bed to start. And while I can live with this, 1 night, what's the big deal, then when I walked into the bathroom, it felt like an old motel. It no longer felt fun and clean. It felt like an old motor lodge bunking with my whole family as a little kid. I think that was when the bathroom was done too. Anyway, the whole point of this is that yes, I still love the neighborhood but for $100+, I'm not so sure I would come back unless I could be sure not to get that room again. It sucked. Hey Jupiter, time to put a new sink in room 106, yours is kind of wobbly on the wall. And while you're at it, please get a new toilet. Blue porcelain with matching tile, blechh...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

powderhound760,
thanks for taking the time to write the review. Although most of the bathrooms were completely redone when we remodeled the hotel ,we did opt to keep some of the bathrooms as they were originally designed..,a tribute the 60's motor lodge that is the Jupiter. (we also wanted to be more environmentally conscience and re-use as much of the original materials)
Some rooms have the blue tile and blue porcelain, some have the bright pink color that was popular when the hotel was constructed.
Now that we know you enjoy a more modern look, let me know next time you are in PDX. I'll make sure you get a large room with a new look.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here one weekend in June for an event and did a lot of research on the place before I went. The biggest complaint seemed to be the noise from the bar area and the "Ikea" type rooms. While the bar area is outside and can music acts can go late, I had a room right about the area and had no problem at all. There was music from a dance going on, but it was no more than what I hear at home living in the middle of a major city.

My room was simple and I liked the decor. There was plenty of space for myself and I have to say that all the staff I delt with were extreamly freiendly and helpful.

If you're a light sleeper, you've been warned. Otherwise, get over it and enjoy yourself. Have fun.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

seattleguy71,
The bar patio rooms can get a bit loud of times ( the reason we give travelers the option to book rooms on the chill side-away from the noise).
Am glad that you didn't find it noisy and still managed to get some good shut eye.
Drop me a line next time you're coming to PDX. I'll make sure you get a free upgrade to the Chill side.

Reviewed 22 July 2011

The Jupiter is a super hip Portland hangout with a restaurant that frequently has live shows. It is a mid century motor inn that the owners remodeled into a clean, minimal and modern boutique hotel. The idea is great, as is the central ballroom area (a glorified tent) and the astro turf decorating the outdoor hallways.

Upon arriving we were given a discounted 11pm to 11am rate for our first night (we ended up checking out at 11am and then immediately back in to the same room for a few more days). We were given free parking passes for the small garage, which wasn't full even though the hotel was. They have one computer available for guests to use right by the front desk, offer reasonably priced bottled water and have a chalk board door in all the rooms for you to doodle or plan out your day. Our bathroom was clean and very small with just a shower, no bath, and no counter space.

The craziest thing about the Jupiter was how many 20 something Portland hipsters were there just hanging out outside (noisily, this is not the place for light sleepers) every evening. One night we tried walking to get food and there really weren't many late night dining options in the area. Had we not had a car it also would have been frustrating being so far out of downtown, although there are some vintage clothing stores worth checking out within easy walking distance.

They also have free high speed internet and an in house hair salon!

Room Tip: Plan ahead, this hotel is quite popular and the coolest rooms are usually booked! The front desk guy...
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Hey Lael,

Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Jupiter. We love the green astro turf as well.
What's this you could not find some late night dining? Let me give you a little secret.. some of the best late night dining is in the bars - you see, in Portland, bars are required to serve food and many of the bars in the area have incredible menus ( Ron Tom's, the Doug Fir, Burnside Brewery to name a few ).. all have great and affordable bar menus. And they serve right up until closing. We also have Sizzle Pie, two blocks from us which offers GREAT pizza until 3am.
Next time you're in PDX, let me or my staff know.. we'll point you in the right direction so you grub on some good food before calling it a night.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

i got a great deal at this hotel by waiting until midnight to book the room after spending the earlier portion of the evening enjoying some cocktails at the doug fir lounge. it was under $100 bucks. i liked most everything about this hotel. the hipster, bohemian, artful spirit. it is definitely idiosyncratic in a way that should be celebrated. that said, there is the consistency of service, meeting expectations part of me where often these types of places fail. the doug fir didn't. it wasn't as though they were prizing tatted clerks with ray-ban opticals over people who were genuinely interested in serving you. the room was very cool, if a bit small. the value was excellent. the atmosphere was deeply imagined and well executed. i loved it.

Room Tip: quieter rooms the further from the lounge.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2011

After a long but amazing day exploring Portland, my boyfriend and I stopped in to the Doug Fir for a drink, finding a hotel attached, we decided to stay here instead of driving downtown for a room. So glad we made that decision! A little birdie told us if we relaxed a few minutes longer and enjoyed another drink, a late night room check-in comes with a HUGE discount. And the bird was right! We both loved the room decor and style. Cool murals, modern furniture and chalk board door (my personal fave). Really loved this place and we're definitely coming back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends