“An Awesome Experience”

Ranked #65 of 142 Hotels in Portland
cincinnati, ohio
“An Awesome Experience”
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I had heard good things about the Jupiter from friends. Was looking for an affordable, cool place to stay in Portland. I can honestly say, this is it! The rooms are modern and clean . . . almost like a W or Standard. The staff was gracious. And the Doug Fir, the restaurant, was excellent. I literally just hung out in the common area and met a dozen people who gave me suggestions on where to go in Portland that isn't necessarily in the tour books. 2 thumbs up!!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank stepsam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
jaynekatherine
Reviewed 15 July 2008

As a traveling New Yorker, I was most impressed with the small, retro, boutique Jupiter in Portland. With a sexy 1960's feel, the hotel was perfect. It had a great location, right on the edge of downtown. We could walk right over the bridge into old town.
The rates were great, (almost free by New York standards), and
the rooms were super cool, modern, and very comfy.

The Jupiter has this progressive feel, the staff was cool and courteous, the Doug Fir restaurant and club ROCKS, they have free wifi, everywhere, these Parisian road bikes for rent, and even a tatoo parlor right on the premises.. Portland, you've done it again.. Jayne

• Liked — Great service, great rates
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I thought the Jupiter was fine, although trying way too hard to be as hip as it makes itself out to be.

It's in a good location within walking distance to a ton of great Portland stuff. Parking can be difficult and even though we bought a parking pass, there was no room for us in the lot and we had to find a different space down the street (they refunded our money). It was a pretty good price ($140) but not so great that I wouldn't consider other spots.

They bill themselves as something unusual but really the property itself is just a remodeled low-rent motel, I'm guessing from the '50s. I don't have a problem with that but if you're expecting a really different/unique space (a la the Kennedy School) you'll be disappointed.

I think in some ways they went a little too light on the remodel (the bathroom needed some help) and in some places they made poor decisions (an all-white theme only works if you're prepared to touch-up paint every few days so it doesn't look scuzzy).

As for the hipster vibe--there is a popular nightclub next door (the noise didn't bother me but I live near a bunch of bars) and they play up the sex theme (a condom in each room, an on-site sex shop) but the whole thing felt a little like "trying too hard." Ditto for the website, which is trying to be hip and in the process manages to be difficult to navigate and use for actual reservations.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — trying too hard
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheophaniaSeattle
california
Reviewed 4 July 2008

We looked at the hotel's website and saw that shows play at the Doug Fir. I figured since the bands played in the basement of the club, it would also be sound-proofed. Or, the hotel rooms would be.....wrong. I mean, they can't really have a hotel where no one can sleep until after 2 am, right? What a joke. Since it's a courtyard hotel (motel) there are drunk and really loud people outside your room too. It's a terrible place to stay--it's like the hotel/club decides when you can sleep--and that's pretty crappy. This place is fine if you want to go to all the shows at the Doug Fir and hang out until 2 am or later every night--then by all means stay here. Otherwise, don't bother.

• Stayed June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I really liked this place: the blue outdoor lights, the chalkboard doors on both sides to draw/write on (they supply chalk), the nice shower with enough water pressure (pressure & temparature controlled separately!), and the very nice staff. At first I thought the location was far from downtown but the bus ride takes 5 minutes, or you can walk across the bridge in 15 minutes to the edge of town and get a great view of downtown on the way. Hotel is in a sorta rundown area but I didn't have any problems.

Minor gripes:
- One night the music from the attached lounge did go late into the night, luckily I was in a wing not close to the lounge.
- There was only one bar of soap when I arrived so I had to ask the cleaning person for another bar the next day, in case they forgot again.
- It's not obvious how to dial the hotel office unless you look at the key holder card or search in phone directory notebook they provide.

Stayed May 2008
starlope
Reviewed 12 May 2008

I chose this hotel because it was cheap. From the beginning I had problems with them when I booked through another website, paid the other website and then was told that the Jupiter Hotel didn't have my availability. I called up anonymously and asked for my exact dates and was told they did in fact have room. I spoke to the Manager Al, who was terribly unprofessional, incredibly aggressive and rude over the phone and explained my situation. He would not answer my questions and ended up hanging up on me. a couple days later I was informed by the website I paid that the Jupiter Hotel now had availability in one of their "unquiet rooms".

I took that room knowing it would be loud, but not how loud it would be. My room was right in front of the bar, it was horrible, they played music and people were drinking and shouting until 2 am.

On sunday night I asked to have my room changed, thinking that they would have availability for the beginning of the week. They refused even though they had availability at a more expensive room.

The last night someone in a room above me was crashing things down on the floor, my ceiling. I called the front desk ten times and no one answered. The crashing thudding sounds went on for about 4 or 5 hours until 4am.

Lastly, i had asked to have a wake up call the morning I was leaving so I could catch my plane. The wake up call never came.

This hotel is shoddy, disorganized and a real dissapointment. I would not reccommend it, ever.

• Liked — The location was pretty good
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank starlope
Austin
Reviewed 18 March 2008

The Jupiter Hotel is a great place, just an easy walk from downtown but a whole different experience than the soul-less big city hotels. The rooms are small and very simple, but are also much less expensive than the chains. Plus, the place has tons of character. Great bar and restaurant with a wonderful music club downstairs. I paid $6 to hear three bands and meet tons of local folks. The whole place does trend toward the 25-year-old hipster set but with the right attitude the Jupiter is a blast

Stayed March 2008