“A decent place to lay your head in SE Portland but bring ear plugs”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #69 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 17 July 2008

My first stay at the Jupiter was right when they first opened, and the rooms were under construction but only cost about $49 - which is a great deal, but I could tell how the place transition from its previous motor inn type lodging to an attempt at mid century mod motel sans the swimming pool.

But in the last two stays there, I haven't been too impressed, the minimalism and Barcelona chair knock offs will make the place outdated in a couple years. A few things did seem kinda quickly done and thrown together. Most apparent was in the bathroom with its painted black matte floors and utility kitchen type sink. Another con which others have report is that is super loud if you have neighbors above you. Nothing is more maddening than to hear that Prince record loud, but to hear it played 10x in a row...please kill me now.

The main room with a double/queen ? size bed is pretty nice comfortable. There is also a cool ipod speaker connector. The screens on the window is nice as well, kinda diffuses the brightness of the light.

The location isn't the best place in SE Portland, but its actually close to some good places to eat like the Farm & Nicholas for dinner and for breakfast le Pigeon--Juniors and Zells. I'd avoid the adjacent restaurant Doug Fir, the food is ok, but wait staff can be a bit snotty at times. I think the place is a good option if there's a late show and you just want to crash afterwards. If you want the real deal motor inn experience, check out Washington Park Inn motel right in the middle of SW & NW. Its cheap and no fuss.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank teut0nic

Reviewed 16 July 2008

I DID enjoy my stay! I DIDN'T expect to enjoy it because I had read some reviews . I didn't find ANY of the problems those people were complaining about. Our room was CLEAN and the bed VERY comfortable. Every staff member that I had occasion to deal with was VERY pleasant and accommodating. It WAS a little noisy BUT I knew it would be so I just went with it.

Normally, when I travel, I stay at four-star establishments. My last trip was to Phoenix, where I stayed at a Resort. It was lovely, BUT it cost over three times the price I paid at the Jupiter and the service was not a presonable. I don't know what those people with all the complaints expect--Four Seasons at one third the cost , I guess. Anyway, I'm glad I stayed.

the restaurant has good food, the bar is fun ( did not attend a concert however), people are lively.. I really enjoyed it. This is the only place i will stay when in portland.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I had heard good things about the Jupiter from friends. Was looking for an affordable, cool place to stay in Portland. I can honestly say, this is it! The rooms are modern and clean . . . almost like a W or Standard. The staff was gracious. And the Doug Fir, the restaurant, was excellent. I literally just hung out in the common area and met a dozen people who gave me suggestions on where to go in Portland that isn't necessarily in the tour books. 2 thumbs up!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank stepsam
Reviewed 15 July 2008

As a traveling New Yorker, I was most impressed with the small, retro, boutique Jupiter in Portland. With a sexy 1960's feel, the hotel was perfect. It had a great location, right on the edge of downtown. We could walk right over the bridge into old town.
The rates were great, (almost free by New York standards), and
the rooms were super cool, modern, and very comfy.

The Jupiter has this progressive feel, the staff was cool and courteous, the Doug Fir restaurant and club ROCKS, they have free wifi, everywhere, these Parisian road bikes for rent, and even a tatoo parlor right on the premises.. Portland, you've done it again.. Jayne

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I thought the Jupiter was fine, although trying way too hard to be as hip as it makes itself out to be.

It's in a good location within walking distance to a ton of great Portland stuff. Parking can be difficult and even though we bought a parking pass, there was no room for us in the lot and we had to find a different space down the street (they refunded our money). It was a pretty good price ($140) but not so great that I wouldn't consider other spots.

They bill themselves as something unusual but really the property itself is just a remodeled low-rent motel, I'm guessing from the '50s. I don't have a problem with that but if you're expecting a really different/unique space (a la the Kennedy School) you'll be disappointed.

I think in some ways they went a little too light on the remodel (the bathroom needed some help) and in some places they made poor decisions (an all-white theme only works if you're prepared to touch-up paint every few days so it doesn't look scuzzy).

As for the hipster vibe--there is a popular nightclub next door (the noise didn't bother me but I live near a bunch of bars) and they play up the sex theme (a condom in each room, an on-site sex shop) but the whole thing felt a little like "trying too hard." Ditto for the website, which is trying to be hip and in the process manages to be difficult to navigate and use for actual reservations.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheophaniaSeattle
Reviewed 4 July 2008

We looked at the hotel's website and saw that shows play at the Doug Fir. I figured since the bands played in the basement of the club, it would also be sound-proofed. Or, the hotel rooms would be.....wrong. I mean, they can't really have a hotel where no one can sleep until after 2 am, right? What a joke. Since it's a courtyard hotel (motel) there are drunk and really loud people outside your room too. It's a terrible place to stay--it's like the hotel/club decides when you can sleep--and that's pretty crappy. This place is fine if you want to go to all the shows at the Doug Fir and hang out until 2 am or later every night--then by all means stay here. Otherwise, don't bother.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I really liked this place: the blue outdoor lights, the chalkboard doors on both sides to draw/write on (they supply chalk), the nice shower with enough water pressure (pressure & temparature controlled separately!), and the very nice staff. At first I thought the location was far from downtown but the bus ride takes 5 minutes, or you can walk across the bridge in 15 minutes to the edge of town and get a great view of downtown on the way. Hotel is in a sorta rundown area but I didn't have any problems.

Minor gripes:
- One night the music from the attached lounge did go late into the night, luckily I was in a wing not close to the lounge.
- There was only one bar of soap when I arrived so I had to ask the cleaning person for another bar the next day, in case they forgot again.
- It's not obvious how to dial the hotel office unless you look at the key holder card or search in phone directory notebook they provide.

Stayed: May 2008