“Great Spot to Celebrate Anniversary”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #66 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple nights to get out of the house and away from our normal day to day to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. While it was definitely a little noisy at night due to the concerts at the Doug Fir, we still really enjoyed ourselves (and they do provide earplugs just in case, though we didn't need them). I love the chalkboard doors, modern room decor, and earth friendly toiletries (esp the soap with the hole in the center, because no one ever makes it all the way through a bar of hotel soap). Breakfast at the Doug Fir is a must.

Room Tip: If you are not there for the concert, try a room at the far end for a bit quieter stay.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D85
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear D85,

Happy Anniversary! Thank you for staying with us for such a special occasion. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the level of activity from the concerts did not bother you. I hope to have you stay with us again (hopefully before your next anniversary).

There are newer reviews for Jupiter Hotel

Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was my first time staying at the Jupiter Hotel. I loved the uniqueness of the property - chalkboard doors, awesome! Our room was very clean, the staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. There was some street noise but the Jupiter had earplugs as an in-room amenity which It was great having the Doug Fir right next door to go in for a drink or eats.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sheila L,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad to here that you enjoyed your stay and the Doug Fir! We find, as you and so many other guests have, that we are a great hotel to experience the "true Portland" from. We hope to see you on our arrival list soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here and it just gets better every time... Is it possible to improve on perfection? Everything about this hotel is great, the rooms, the beds, the pillows, the amenities, the staff. Love it all. The Doug Fir is a fun and happening place. The meeting space at the Jupiter is also affordable, convenient and functional. Hats off once again to the Jupiter team.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Donna P,

Our hat is off to you! We thank you for your continued business and for your glowing recommendation. To answer your question, yes we can improve upon perfection as we are always looking for areas to upgrade the guest experience! Stay tuned for big improvements to the property and rooms as we close out 2013.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Great Location in Portland, staff was extremely nice and helpful. Property is very unique for sure and that is in a good way. Sure there are condoms on the nightstand, hey you never know...

The restaurant on site, Doug Fir, has an excellent bar and the food is good too. Ample enclosed parking also.

Dear Ray V,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We truly believe that the best measure of how we are doing as a hotel is not the revenue we make, but the feedback and experiences that our guests have. I am very please to hear that our staff took such good care of you and you found our unique atmosphere so fun! We look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Pulling into the 15 minute load zone, steps from the lobby, I knew I was in for a treat! The desk staff welcomed me. Issued a parking pass, said I was free to unload before parking in the garage. My room was 2nd floor, just above the lobby. Great big window facing the Doug Fir restaurant & bar. (see another review) Fun entry door to unit is like a chalk board. Draw, leave notes, etc. The low, KING platform bed was super comfy with 3 great pillows. Not sure I would call this a "chill" room, as it is loud with the bar crowd outside, and the stairs by the unit, BUT, I never expected quiet, and think I may call this the best KING room in the house. Especially if you like the activity watching. #254. Request it! This, for me, makes for an authentic PDX visit. Very fun space/grounds/room. Top notch staff. Super convenient if seeing a show at the Doug Fir. Which I did. Made for a pretty perfect escape.

Room Tip: #254. Great view from the window. Beware of the LOUDEST rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear ManOnTheMove,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts and tips to future guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed room #254 (it's my favorite in the house too). Noise is something that can be found in that room depending on the traffic of people to the Doug Fir, but generally and sounds like for yourself as well, not much more than a slight distraction. We very much try to offer a service style and hotel experience that compliments the atmosphere in Portland, through insider tips on bars/ restaurants, places to go and things to do; so I am glad to hear you found this helpful and authentic. I look forward to having you stay with us again and would love to get you into the same room or another of our spacious Metro rooms.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

My daughter and I booked this hotel because it was close to the convention center for Fashion Week. We did book through priceline and they gave us the smallest room they have. Which makes moving around the room with large luggage every difficult. not even one luggage stand. Just a bed with two side tables attached to the wall and a console with a wall mount TV. Very little walking room on either side of the bed topped off with a LOUD wall cooling unit. The room itself was cute, the bathroom still needs a remodel, it dates back to when this old motel was built. After arriving we decided to try out the hotel restaurant (Doug Fir), the weather was beautiful so we asked to sit outside. We were told we would have to order at the bar and they would bring out our food. Last I checked the service industry relies on tips to survive, but clearly the snotty female bartendar doesn't care about a tip. She barely responded when I placed our order and screwed up the signature drinks. When my daughter went back inside to ask for more dip she got a reaction that was flat out rude! That was the last time we ate at Doug Fir during our stay. I will say the front desk staff is very nice. I get that people like to whoop it up, but this place takes it to another level. Seems the outdoor casual dining area is the only place to party on this side of town. The party goes on until 4am. There needs to be a set time to shut it down. We wanted to run around and sing, bang on doors in the morning as pay back to the all night idiots who kept us awake until 4am. Oh and housekeeping could use some improvement, we found 4 used tabacco chew packs on the bed side table- lovely...ick! Do yourself a favor and get a room at the Paramount or the ACE hotel in Portland.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 117 unless your throwing two small children in it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear chillsboro,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We truly appreciate all the comments as it helps us develop our services and hotel, to better fit your needs. I am very sorry to hear about your experience at the Doug Fir. I have already spoken with the General Manager of the restaurant to alert him of your comments so that we can keep this from happening again. We have two sides to the hotel and in looking at your reservation, you booked a room on the "Bar Patio" side where there is more revelry. I can assure you that our "Chill Side" rooms would be more to your liking as they are far quieter. There are room types within the hotel that have more space, and I am sorry that you were unable to stay in one of these, however please do not hesitate to contact us directly as we would be happy to get you into the best room type for your travel requirements. In the end, my hope is that you can give us another try as I am confident you would find the hotel, like many others have, to be fun, quiet and a great place to stay while in Portland.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Came here from Seattle for a couple days. My friend wanted to find something on the cheaper side but with a good location since we were taking the bus down. I'm kinda picky when it comes to hotel rooms so it was a little tricky finding a medium.

I looked through reviews on Tripadvisor of hotels and everything was pretty expensive or by the airport... or just ugly. So I came across this and was a little skeptical by the reviews but it looked so charming and really well priced. Most of the complaints complained about it being loud... which for this particular trip, wasn't an issue... we came to party.

I booked 1 queen sized bed and a couple of weeks before we planned on going, a third friend wanted to join. I emailed the hotel asking if I could pay more for a room with 2 queen beds instead. They emailed me promptly telling me no problem and they didn't charge extra.

We got there and the staff was super friendly and nice, quick check in. We were all pleased with the room we got, it was cute, clean and fun! I don't know why people complain about how small it is because it looked just like the picture it showed on their website! What more do you expect?

My friends patted me on the back on a job well done making a good choice. We had a nice laugh over the condoms by the comfy beds and the chalkboard door. It came with a book of things to do around the hotel, showing the walking distance to each place. Super convenient! I thought it would be loud but it was actually pretty quiet on a Thursday. We didn't hear our neighbors at all.

There's a little outdoor area for events and on a Friday, there was a wedding reception going on there. If you're here for business, you're going to hate this place. It's definitely a lively place at least on the weekend but that's whats great about it! We of course thought it was a treat to hear the party from our room! Hearing people happy and having fun... what a burden? I don't think so!

A couple things I will nag about: There seemed to be limited outlets. I wanted to be able to charge my phone by the bed but had to opt for charging it in the bathroom... maybe they're hidden but I did some crawling trying to find them. I didn't ask if it was an option, but if you plan on wanting something cold, there is no mini fridge. The carpet is kind of scruffy as well. It would have been nice as well if they had a full length mirror.

And a friendly word of advice, it's a good location but if you plan on going to the pearl district, it's a 30 minute walk. No big deal but at night, you're probably not going to walk back late... little scary. But it was a $10 cab ride! Also, we go to stay on the 2nd floor so that was nice with less people walking by so ask for the top floor if its available.

I would definitely recommend this place especially if you come with friends! It's not for everyone but if you want a peaceful place so you can go to bed early to be up for the early bird special somewhere (or whatever people who go to bed early on vacation do) then next time do your research better. People are so easy to knock this hotel when I don't know why guests who booked a place right next to a bar that plays live music would be shocked in finding out it can get loud.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor!

Dear Proatrips,

Thank you for your honest observations of the hotel. We find that guests generally have a good time when they know what we are about, and when they know what they want from a hotel and it sounds like you knew both. We thank you for all the tips you provided to future guests as they are right on, and for yourself and others, always ask if you need something special (like an outlet by the bed) as we may have property limitations that we cannot change but we are pretty good at making special arrangements as long as we have a heads up. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.