“Kitsch, quirky and totally Portland”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Ranked #63 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Kitsch, quirky and totally Portland”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Really lovely hotel - quite cool and alternative. Chalkboards on the doors so you can leave messages was a nice touch! Staff were extremely helpful and there's free coffee in the morning. Agree with others comments that it can be a bit loud - there was a wedding while I was there and it didn't quieten down till past 1am, but the hotel graciously provided earplugs! Good location, some fantastic restaurants nearby. Would stay again, but probably only if I was on holiday and didn't have to work the next day!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear KF1980,

Thank you so much for staying with us at Jupiter Hotel. I'm very glad to hear you appreciated our chalkboard doors -- they're always a hit. I sincerely hope you do come back and stay with us again, on a holiday or otherwise. For a more restful stay, I might suggest a room on our quieter, "chill" courtyard side of the property, for those nights you'd like to rest your weary head before 1am. Thank you again for staying with us -- we'll keep the coffee ready for you.

Jupiter Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I wish I could review this spot twice. Here's why. If you're coming here to rest & sleep is important, run away quickly!!! This is a party spot & the "quiet" rooms are booming loud until 3 a.m. Now, if you're in Portland for a great time, vacation & you're partying & used to being up until 3 a.m. You'll never find a cooler spot to stay! This hotel rocks!!!! If you're not needing good nightly rest. As for the rest though, the bed was amazing. I'm in 200 rooms a year from Best Westerns to Westin's. The Jupiter Hotel has the most comfortable beds of any hotel I've ever stayed in! The bathrooms are great size & functional.

If I were rating the Jupiter just on a cool place & not needing sleep, 5 stars. If you need to sleep, 0 stars. I love the Jupiter!!! And plan to stay there any time I don't need a good nights quiet sleep, because it's just awesome!! I actually stayed in 2 different rooms in 2 nights, both beds amazing!!! Just loud.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear D28martin05,

Thank you so much for staying with us at Jupiter Hotel, and for the absolutely reasonable review. I'm glad you love and endorse our hotel so heartily, and appreciate so fully our beds -- we do take pride in them. While it's true we are an unusually active property, we do aim to accommodate all of guests, partiers and business travelers alike. Just in case you ever decide to stay with us AND attempt your hand at slumber, might I suggest a room on our quieter, "chill" side of the property. While still every bit the Jupiter experience, staying on the chill side hedges your bets to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks again for staying with us at Jupiter Hotel.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Spent a food centric weekend in PDX and the Jupiter made for a perfect home base. Hitting Le Pigeon, Pok Pok and many others during the trip. The front desk staff was exceptional and the room & property were clean and very comfortable...Cabs into downtown were cheap so getting around was a breeze. Jeri & Jed at the front desk were amazing and made us feel right at home... even when we asked for exceptions to things they found the most polite way of saying NFW! See you again soon...Cheers!

Room Tip: diner at Le Pigeon!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrGeorgetown
Dear MrGeorgetown,

Thank you so much for staying with us at Jupiter Hotel. I'm glad you had a wonderful experience with our hotel, front desk staff, and our fine city in general. From your list of eateries, it sounds like you did your Portland research prior to staying with us, making you precisely the type of guests our staff love serving the most -- even if they have to say NFW on occasion.

Thanks again for staying with us at Jupiter Hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Loved this hotel. It has a very good bar & live music venue right smack in the middle of it called the Doug Fir. This was the highlight of the stay as we were in Portland with the intention of staying up late and enjoying a couple of cocktails anyway. The breakfast was also very nice so would even recommend for that reason alone.

Rooms were creatively appointed, modern and comfortable. They even encourage you to draw on their chalk-board doors and submit your drawing to their blog. I really got a sense of the Portland style staying here.

Location is great, they have covered secure parking and it's easy walking distance to a few good spots.

One word of warning though. The bar has a large outdoor patio and is very popular - even on a Monday night when we stayed there so it's quite noisy and quiet hours start at 2:30am. I'd suggest going with the flow and hanging out with the crowd. It was a good time.

Room Tip: There are rooms further away from the bar courtyard - so if you'd like a quiet night in I'd...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Toofones
Dear Toofones,

Thank you so much for staying with us at Jupiter Hotel. I am thrilled to hear you had such a remarkable experience and that you made the most of the amenities we provide -- I hope you adorned our chalkboard doors with your own work of art. Keep us in mind for all your future stays, and we'll make sure we keep the good times flowin'.

Thank you again for staying with us at Jupiter Hotel.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I first stayed at the Jupiter back in 2004, which means I am a repeat customer - and which shows how happy I am with the place. Adjacent to the Doug Fir Restaurant / Lounge /Night Club, the Jupiter is most everything an independent 'boutique' hotel should be - hip, funky, adjacent to great night life, eclectic guests, friendly, hip, and young staff. Yes, I said 'hip' twice in that last sentence, because it fits. The rooms have been remodeled to European standards,right down to the bedding and the Voss bottled water. The chalkboard door and bucket of chalk in each room adds a nice, whimsical touch, as does the discrete basket of items for use by guests. Staff were polite, friendly, and very knowledgeable about area attractions (check out nearby Rum Club, Noble Rot, and Base Camp Brewing). The parking for guests under the hotel is secure (keyed entry). Yes, the rooms facing the courtyard will be noisy, especially on Friday or Saturday nights, or whenever there is a band playing - but the beds are so luxurious that I never have trouble sleeping at the Jupiter. Adjacent to a wonderful place (Doug Fir) for breakfast, lunch, happy hour, supper, and a romantic evening of drinking or dancing - what could be better? I know I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for 'chill side' rooms, which are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Barbara S,

Thank you so much for your return business and for taking the time to share such a detailed experience. I am glad that 10 years later we are still impressing you and delivering the vibe and service we promise. I hope to have you stay with us for the next 10 years.

Sydney
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is an old motel, reinvigorated with lots of funky murals, really comfy beds in the retro part of town about 15 mins scenic walk to centre of Portland. Safe, flat walk over the Burnside bridge. This part of town has good cafes and restaurants. Clubs and bars and tends to have the 20-30s congregating for cocktails after work. The Jupiter is good value, spotlessly clean and well located.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet side especially if you are staying on a FRI/SAT night as can be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Violetmags,

Thank you for staying with us at the Jupiter and for taking the time to help us know how we are doing as a hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our vibe; the good location doesn't hurt either. Come back and stay with us again soon!

Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 3 April 2014

hotel is nice and clean has an hip style in a central location especially close to conference centre but it is too noisy in night, there is a bar near you can hear loud music and people's loud chat, would be problematic if you want a quiet stay

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank neonch
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear neonch,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay so much. I am sorry that the noise was a bit of an issue for you, however next time you stay with us the chill side of the property should be more suited to your needs.