“Original and stylish this exceeded my expectations”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #69 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Taking a break from a work trip to Seattle, a few days in Portland (my first trip there) was on the agenda. The Jupiter seemed like an off-centre choice, which might go either way, when I was reserving and I, thankfully, took a leap of faith.
Everything from free secure parking, pleasant receptionists, great on-site bar (The Doug Fir) and venue and fantastic location were bonuses.
The room was stylish, beds comfortable and bathroom efficient. Cleanliness was average (the carpet felt a little icky in bare feet - that's all).
Great value for money and a thoroughly enjoyabel stay.
Highly recommended - as long as you are not expecting a 4 star plus experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FreshEire A
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear FreshEire A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for your business, we very much appreciate both. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the property and your stay so much and I certainly hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Start with the pluses:

1) People at the desk are really nice and helpful. Service is great.

2) There are a ton of young people hanging around, which makes this a good place to stay if you want to meet other travelers. Also a great place for bachelor parties or other similarly rowdy groups. There is a 2:30am quiet time policy, which gives you plenty of time to get wild without "violating the rules".

3) There is a bar in the parking lot. This makes grabbing a drink or night cap easy. The hotel is also centrally located with restaurants and bars within a stone's throw.

Now for the minuses:

1) Rooms are funky and the establishment clearly is trying hard to build the hipster vibe. Truth is the rooms are dark and poorly set up. The bed is comfortable, which I will concede. The rest of the furniture is useless and makes the room feel crowded. There is not much light in the rooms, so they are a bit depressing. The bright paint tries to compensate, but just doesn't quite make it. All in all, there is more emphasis on the hipster vibe than setting up a good quality hotel room.

2) Little stuff like they don't have soap, shampoo, etc in the room. That was a bit of a surprise. Not a huge deal, but seems like it should be very basic.

3) The air-conditioner is literally at the head of the bed. It's loud while you're trying to sleep and you have cold air blowing on you all night. Not very comfortable if you want to use the AC.

Overall, they do a lot of things to try and be unique, but have lost some sight of the basics. Jupiter is really a motel run by nice people who injected a little bit of hipster flare into a rundown Motel 6. The social aspect is a big upside for the right groups and the location is huge. Just don't expect much from the accommodations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CGO83

Dear CGO83,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are committed to offering the best hotel stay for our guests and without feedback such as yours we wouldn't be able to know where we succeed or have room for improvement. I am very happy that you enjoyed the service from our staff and the vibe of the hotel. We certainly agree that some of the rooms are a little dark and we are currently installing new light bars to brighten them up, however we do have plenty of rooms that allow in more natural light and we would be happy to make sure you get into one of these next time you visit. I am very sorry that you did not have any shampoo or soap in your room, we do have Eco-Friendly bath amenities and they are supposed to be in all guestrooms, so that they weren't I am sorry. We are always at the desk and can happily make sure that issues like this are taken care of while you are there if you let us know. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us as it will certainly help guide us to be a better hotel for you in the future. I do hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The staff was super friendly and the decor was really hip and cool! It wasn't very loud even though we stayed on the "party" side. They are very green there and I appreciate any company that is earth conscious. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Pinaysis09, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I look forward to sharing your review with the rest of the staff. We will see you on your next journey to Portland.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Second stay at the Jupiter.
It is a self described "party" hotel and shouldn't be stayed at if your intentions are a good nights sleep.
But, for our purpose as a place to crash after an amazing concert, it was spot on.
The cleaning ladies do need to shut up at 6:30am while they are moving around the outside of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear MissKarmaBlue, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm happy you found the Jupiter to be something that fits your needs. we are a great hotel for a party. But we do offer a quiet section in the hotel for guest who are here for rest and relaxation. It's the chill side. Please keep us in mind for future visits. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Funky place with easy access to the main shopping area in downtown Portland and the airport.
There are plenty of places nearby to eat out.
Worth a try despite the cosy room size but it is a little over priced compared to others of this type.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear MartyT58, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay. To help you with your future trips to Portland. We do offer bigger rooms at a reasonable price. Your next stay at the Jupiter will be a grand slam. Let us know next time your coming into town.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed for 2 night while being on a business trip in Portland. The hotel filled almost every need. The room and the bathroom were big and comfortable. I booked the chill side of the hotel so it was a good sleep too. The staff were really nice and helpful. Location is not that good but wasn't relevant for me (business trip).

The only problems that I had were:
1. It is not possible to open a window or at least allow natural light into the room if you don't want to be seen from the street. The room must be always air conditioned with the lights on.
2. There was no tea/coffee inside the room, usually hotels give you that and it is really nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the chill side if you want to sleep at night
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sagym, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We do offer coffee every morning from 6 to 11 at the front desk. Let us know next time your coming into Portland, We would love the opportunity to help you have an even better stay with us.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Jupiter two nights, Sunday and Monday, in town to visit a friend. Location is great and there are lots of good things to eat in walking distance.

Room was by far one of the smallest I've ever paid this much money for - I actually laughed out loud when I opened the door. Bed (note: not elevated, on the floor) was incredibly comfy and bathroom was well laid out, shower had good water pressure. No iron or ironing board
In the room, but you couldn't have opened one up because of the size so that was no surprise. No drawers, no closet, a few hangers on a bar in the corner. No luggage rack. Another weird nitpicky annoying thing? Remote was broken so channels could only be flipped down, not up.

I stayed in room 107 which must be unquestionably the worst room in the house noise wise. Fire-pit adjacent. I had a few cocktails my first night so that got me to sleep, but the second night I felt like I was in hell - fire pit in the adjoining bar's back yard was jam packed with drunk revelers until after 2 am, approximately 10 feet from the door of my room. Great snippet of conversation (imagine Hulk Hogan-voice) "...well I've been trained to kill, so...". The whole bar might as well have been in my room with me. It was awful. Got back to sleep eventually but was awoken again by the upstairs guest stomping around between 3-5 am in what must have been 100-pound boots. The walls and ceilings are thin and you will hear everything. Worst night of sleep I've ever had at a hotel bar none.

Nice hipstery aesthetics, friendly desk staff, comfy bed, pricey, would probably not stay again. I find it very hard to believe the "chill" side would be much quieter given that they play music in the courtyard during bar hours (2:30 am closing). Room 107 is the room from hell. You've been warned!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank lucyruth

Dear lucyruth, Thank you for taking the time share your experience with us. We do have a staff on call 24 hours a day that are here to help you with issues such as the remote. We also offer a lot bigger rooms that are secluded from the bar patio noise. I hope this will help you consider staying with us again during your next visit to Portland.