“Jupiter Hotel”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #69 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I was only staying 1 night in Portland and wanted to make the most of it so I went through all the reviews for downtown hotels, but found nothing I liked except for The Ace, but I was not going to share a bathroom.
I looked at the Jupiter and was intrigued by the Doug Fir music club on premise, but when I realized I could just walk over the Burnside bridge to downtown and the free transit zone, I went for it.
What a great find, from the moment I walked in I liked the buzz of the place, a lot of young musical types.
I got a room with bamboo theme and the clean lines & decor reminded me of The Standard in Hollywood.
After going downtown I returned for a nightcap at the bar and the bartender told me there was no cover downstairs, that night if I wanted to checkout the bands. Good young bands and a great room.
The Jupiter is a destination unto itself.
BTW they have very limited parking, grab a street spot around the back.

1  Thank frankspurs

Reviewed 24 February 2009

My boyfriend and I had a chance to escape sunny San Diego for Valentines Day and headed up to Portland. This hotel was great; we checked in late and loved the feel coming from the bar with live music downstairs. The front desk staff was welcoming and very laid back they made it instantly comfortable. We quickly dropped our stuff off and headed to the infamous Doug Fir for a local brew and to watch the show. The food was great, and the environment was awesome! The rooms were very simple but I was just happy the heater worked. By the way the chalk is ONLY for the doors. We had the suite with plenty of room and a great location right off the street so we could walk to the delicious coffee shop right across the street. Overall nothing beats the vibe here which makes it a great place to stay, not to mention the front desk staff being very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed 26 January 2009

The Motel was hyped up from a friend, and we were excited to experience the restaurant and go to a show. I was overall underwhelmed. The food was good at the lounge, although we were told the wait would be a half an hour. . .and an hour later we were seated. The "hotel" really was a trashy old motel with some new paint and Ikea looking decor. It looks like a good place for a large event, or a crazy night with friends. We did not sleep at all, we felt like we were in a college dorm room. It felt like the people in the room next to us were standing over our bed shouting.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2009

me and my girlfreind got a room at the jupiter for NYE. everything was fine but when we checked out a few days later I checked my credit card statement to find that they had charged me more than double what was agreed upon. when I asked for explanation of the extra charges they told me I got the room too dirty. honestly I would like to bring legal action against them. At all cost dont stay here! and if you do pay cash!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2009

PROS: Awesome if you have a pet (they'll even let you leave your pooch in the room while you go out to dinner, etc.). Great location near excellent restaurants and cute shops. Convenient parking in garage below and great restaurant/bar called Doug Fir on the property. People are cool. Reasonably priced. We stayed here once during a snowstorm on a Sunday, when the city was practically shut down and there was a beautiful hush. It was heaven and we thought we were fans for life... and then we came back on a normal Saturday night.
CONS: Not for people that like to sleep. One of the hotel's few rules is that "all parties must end by 2am." But even if your neighbors are partying elsewhere, any room facing the Doug Fir bar means that you'll need to use the Jupiter's complimentary ear plugs, which are there to muffle out the sound of the downstairs club and the drunkards puking outside your door. The next morning you'll be vengefully slamming the door on your way out, just to wake up the neighbors that were partying next door in their room until 3:30 in the morning and banging on your walls.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ageeweir
Reviewed 4 January 2009

I stayed here with my brother and daughter while driving from Las Vegas to Seattle. The place was a MOTEL, not a hotel. The rooms were tiny. I felt like things in the room were clean, except for the fuzzy green pillows on the beds (as a previous reviewer noted). I put those away as soon as we got there; I didn't really want to touch those things. The beds were nice, the furniture seemed like it all came from Ikea, but the bed was really comfortable and the linens were nice. The bathroom amenities were great. I really loved all the soap, lotion, etc. The toiletries were organic and they seemed green conscious.
The motel seemed to be for young college kids. There was a lot of loud music and a firepit in the middle of the parking lot everyone was hanging out at. There was a condom in the room and the "menu" that came with the room listed a a sex toy shop in room 117. I thought that was seedy as I was there with my young daughter.
We were starving (had been traveling all day) and could never get through to the room service. We dialed and dialed for about an hour but it was always busy. The menu looked delicious, I really wish I could have tried it! The front desk wasn't helpful, they just told me to keep trying.
The room included bottled Voss water ($3 each) and chalk to write on the doors (they were chalkboard on the outside). They did allow pets (we had two cats) but it was $20/each pet per night.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2008

I recently spent 3 days in Portland, and needed to be close to the convention center. I stayed at the Jupiter, a small retro boutique hotel just adjacent to downtown and only a few blocks from the Oregon Convention Center.

The hotel was perfect. Great, modern rooms, under $100 bucks,
the staff was great, they were very helpful and attentive.

Free wifi, a fantastic bar and restaurant, and two meeting spaces
for conferences, complete with video projection. It's a lively
place, full of a great crowd and interesting travelers.

I highly recommend it.