“If you enjoy live music and party crowd. This is for you”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #65 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Phoenix, Arizona
“If you enjoy live music and party crowd. This is for you”
Reviewed 22 May 2009

If you enjoy live music and periodically loud music (I was here for the Mexican fair) and music continued into the wee hours and I had 2 hours of sleep since my flight leaves at 5AM. I wish they would have told me about it so I can get some peace and quiet but I got neither. Since this was prepaid so no refund.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2009

I think this hotel is a renovated Red Roof Inn or Motel 6. The room was the smallest 2.5 star room I've ever had in the United States. It had a bed and a nightstand and no other furniture, since there was about 2 feet of space on each side of the bed for people to walk around. The bed was actually more of a futon, sitting very low on the floor. The TV (which only got one channel) was bolted to the wall. The room didn't have an iron, ironing board, hangers, or anywhere to hang hangers (which was a problem because I was on a business trip). There was a hair dryer, but it didn't work. The water in the shower would go from scalding hot to freezing cold every 30 seconds. The hotel also didn't have hallways; the doors opened directly to the outside.

When I checked in, I was asked to sign an agreement saying that quiet hours started at 2 a.m., so if I wanted to party, I had to be done by then. My neighbors were very considerate: they only partied until 2 and then quieted right down.

The complimentary condom on the nightstand (printed with the hotel logo) just lent an extra touch of class to this establishment. So did the brochure telling me that I could buy a souvenir thong (also printed with the hotel logo) in the lobby.

The air conditioning unit was very noisy, but that was okay because it drowned out the noise from my partying neighbors. On the plus side, the room was very clean.

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank heidih8000

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Chicago
Reviewed 18 April 2009

It's telling how varied the reviews are on this place, as clearly it's not for everyone. Going in, one should have an open mind and an active spirit. It's a bit of a scene, but as scene's go, it's fun and less pretentious than one might think. This is a happenin' joint.
Let's all be clear, the facility itself is only separated from its days as a Travel Inn by a few simple trips to Ikea. No one will be blown away or even particularly impressed by the rooms, but they do include certain charming freebies and useful mags/guides to the city. The staff can be hit or miss (it's hard to be young and cool), but my experience with the desk was that I found the service to be generally pleasant and helpful.
We stayed here during the week and had no noise complaints, but understand that the Jupiter is a hang out. The adjoining restaurant/bar, the Doug Fir, has a simple and reasonably priced menu, great drinks, a modern northwoods kind of design and a youthful, joyful energy that resonates from the basement's music venue. It's a place to which I look forward to returning.
Ultimately, though, the Jupiter's location and value are hard to beat. The Burnside area is full of great shops, bars and restaurants, it's very walkable and it's centrally located just over the bridge from downtown. If these things don't appeal to you, you should stay elsewhere. If they do, you will love the Jupiter, bottom line.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I stayed at the Jupter Hotel last month with a few friends and loved it! The hotel was modern, clean and fresh! I would compare it to a W hotel, I only paid 59 dollars a night, and it REALLY was AMAZING! I can't believe they can price some of the rooms that low. Definitely a place to go with friends or boyfriend/girlfriend. The location is perfect placing it walking distance to many great shops, restaurants, vibrant nightlife. The rooms were SO unique, they all have a different vibe and look. The staff was amazing and made everything so easy to do. I will definitely stay at this hotel again, and I can't wait!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Eugene
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Great and friendly staff, but the room was like a cheap motel. It was very small and noisy. Paper thin walls allowed unavoidable voyeuristic invasion of the couple in the next room making love. I would only recommend staying here if you want to crash after a Doug Fir show. Otherwise, don't expect to get any sleep before 2 or 3 A.M. Phone didn't work, door didn't close tightly, TV was old and fuzzy. I really wanted this place to be as advertised, but it is no such place. Without the Doug Fir next door, the only difference between it and another cheap motel on Burnside is that it charges $8/night for parking and the others are free. Sorry.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank mkw55
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I was only staying 1 night in Portland and wanted to make the most of it so I went through all the reviews for downtown hotels, but found nothing I liked except for The Ace, but I was not going to share a bathroom.
I looked at the Jupiter and was intrigued by the Doug Fir music club on premise, but when I realized I could just walk over the Burnside bridge to downtown and the free transit zone, I went for it.
What a great find, from the moment I walked in I liked the buzz of the place, a lot of young musical types.
I got a room with bamboo theme and the clean lines & decor reminded me of The Standard in Hollywood.
After going downtown I returned for a nightcap at the bar and the bartender told me there was no cover downstairs, that night if I wanted to checkout the bands. Good young bands and a great room.
The Jupiter is a destination unto itself.
BTW they have very limited parking, grab a street spot around the back.

1 Thank frankspurs
san diego
Reviewed 24 February 2009

My boyfriend and I had a chance to escape sunny San Diego for Valentines Day and headed up to Portland. This hotel was great; we checked in late and loved the feel coming from the bar with live music downstairs. The front desk staff was welcoming and very laid back they made it instantly comfortable. We quickly dropped our stuff off and headed to the infamous Doug Fir for a local brew and to watch the show. The food was great, and the environment was awesome! The rooms were very simple but I was just happy the heater worked. By the way the chalk is ONLY for the doors. We had the suite with plenty of room and a great location right off the street so we could walk to the delicious coffee shop right across the street. Overall nothing beats the vibe here which makes it a great place to stay, not to mention the front desk staff being very helpful.

• Stayed February 2009