“Jupiter keeping Portland weird.”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #66 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Middleburg, Virginia
“Jupiter keeping Portland weird.”
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Very interesting place, esp. for a somewhat conservative person as I from NO. Va.. Lots of diversity here, so if you are not prepared to see lots of tatoos and peircings you might pass, but don't. This is a really sweet place. It is priced right, is spotless and I really like the pure white duvet covers on the beds (not those nasty bedspreads you find in most places). The staff was friendly and helpful. Good location, just a few blocks walk to the river. Breakfast at the Doug Fir on site was always excellent, we ate there every morning. It can be wild and crazy outside your door sometimes, there is always a party going on, but I sleep well and it never bothered me once I shut my door. It it a great plce to people watch. Like that it isn't a chain and the hallways are outside (ie motel style), no creepy elevators to wait for. The Jupiter is not just a hotel, it's an experience, brace yourself.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Me, hubby and little one stayed for a Friday night on a whim. Cute, modern, trendy place with a cool, retro vibe goin on. We arrived in the evening and there were tons of people milling around. Upon arrival, we were a little afraid the noise level would be too loud for us, but were pleasantly surprised with it not being an issue--once we turned on the a/c. Had we not had the a/c, it would have probably been a problem. To address the size issue, it isn't a problem if you aren't doing much hanging out in your room. We had the only room they had available, 2 beds and the room was plenty big for us. I don't know if the other people are use to staying in suites or what, but I travel a lot and have stayed in much smaller rooms that felt cramped. This one does not. The staff was really nice and I love that they re-purposed an old building instead of building brand new. My only complaint is that it doesn't seem like it's close to any shops, restaurants (besides the Doug Fir) etc. Bonus: the Doug Fir is a great place to get a cheap, good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I travel a lot for business. I stay in hotels anywhere from 3-12 nights every month. I see lots of hotel rooms but I have never experienced anything like the Jupiter Hotel.

First, it is without a doubt the smallest room I've ever stayed in. A king size bed hogs up the room, but the wrapped condom on the cubby nailed to the wall suggests why this may be so. One small round desk and one really uncomfortable chair, a small chest for the TV, 5 hangers and a rack complete the sleep area. No where to lay anything, put anything, no way to be comfortable.

As with others, the shower temp changed randomly in the 15 minutes I need to get clean. The towels weren't bad. I always bring my own pillow and this place is why. Flat, fluffy, or covered in rough material, all the pillows sucked.

Then there is the night club underground (literally) that also has an outdoor bar with a fire pit conveniently located beneath the rooms. It is 11:40 p.m. and I can hear the party with my TV (which does get many channels) and a/c (which does seem to work) both running full tilt.

The bed has a lump in the middle so that when I, who am here alone, try to lay in the center of the bed I am gently but firmly rolled to one side or another. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

On a high note - the staff, though tatted and pierced, were all very pleasant and helpful.

Bottom line - Jupiter Hotel is for those who like to party. If you want to party till you puke then crawl to a safe place to crash, this is the place for you. If you want a place to relax and sleep, go elsewhere.

Because it is a required field I'm checking that I would not recommend this hotel to a friend, by that I mean business friend. I have friends who would love the place. They are young:~>

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank MellowD

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Bakersfield
Reviewed 10 July 2009

This trendy up-beat hotel offers some of the GREATEST STAFF EVER. Wow, everyone was so kind. I remember this guy named Daniel, was soo nice. Wow I had such a nice stay at this play, you need to give this play a stay. Fissure, I love it. The rooms were so nice and stylish. I loved the music around there.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank TENNISACE16
Portland, OR
Reviewed 7 June 2009

The Jupiter Hotel is more aptly name the Jupiter MOTEL and there's a reason there are very few photos of the Jupiter Motel on the hotel's website. This place is nothing more than a 60's Motel that has been repainted and refurnished with Ikea furniture. The beds are decent but they kept the 17 thread count sheets left over from their Motel legacy. There are cheap wall AC units in every room and the carpeting has seen better days.
Cheap pseudo-chic rooms at a moderate price.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Ohio
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We started with room 1 that had no working AC. Rooms do not have coffee makers and are tiny. In order to work at the desk I had to sit in front of the TV so my partner couldn't watch TV. No real closet, no where to unpack. Uncomfortable beds, intermittent temperature in the shower.

We were moved to Room #2 - buried in the corner under the stairs. No working internet, and the final straw was the water leaking from the ceiling into the bathroom. At least I hope it was only water.

There is no redeeming value to this hotel. There is constant noise and crowds due to the downstairs nightclub. There is nothing useful within walking distance.

They advertise a walk in after bar special for $59/night. I guess if you are wasted and just looking to sleep it off, $59 wouldn't be a rip off. Paying a single cent more or for any other reason, and run away fast.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AllonsTravelBo
oregon
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Drove 4 hours to to find parking lot full/sold out.Was offered a permit to park across street and found that was full as well.Had to park on the street.Room was very small.So small, there was no closet and just a bar in the corner with hangers.Was told I had a large room compared to others.No window ventilation, had to use the cheap A/C unit and it didnt work well.Carpet was coming up w/ips.In fact, my dog was laying on the floor and got his collar stuck in one of the rips and couldnt get up!If you dont mind waiting till after 1 am to go to bed, its not bad.However, the noise at this hotel is brutal.I could even hear the latino night club across the street through my walls!Beware of any hotel that offers ear plugs on the night stand!Tile floor was nasty in bathroom.Mattress was cheap and uncomfortable.WiFi was broken.Hotel website makes the hotel look hip and cool.However, its just a poor makeup job on a hotel that was cheaply renovated.

• Stayed June 2009