“great if you are looking for a quick hook-up”
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Jupiter Hotel
Ranked #71 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 29 September 2009

the jupiter is a seedy motel renovated into a higher end seedy motel. this place is great if you are looking for an all night party and a one night stand with the guy in the room next door. The rooms are tiny, the bathrooms have not been updated from its motel days except for a new shower curtain and shower head, and i found some random hairs on the bed linens and in the shower.

The music from outside is loud (I was on the ground floor and it was louder being inside my room than outside), so if you will not be partying all night, this is not the place to stay. In the middle of the night a group of drunken guys from the bar tried to get into some of the ground floor rooms and when my door was locked, they loudly tagged the outside of the door with chalk (the doors are painted with chalk paint and writing on them with chalk is encouraged). I am a young traveler, but this place was not really my scene.

If you will be partying at the Doug Fir and want to pass out or hook up close by, this is the place for you (and your room comes with a jupiter hotel condom! safety first!). It is in a great location and the design is modern, but it was over priced and over hyped in my opinion.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank iheartwrldtrvl

Reviewed 18 September 2009

This is not the hotel for you if you are looking for some rest and relaxation!
Yes it is loud, everyone else is there for a party and a good time. If thats what you want then its brilliant. We had a great time, met lots of people and enjoyed the social atmosphere.
It was a short walk over the bridge into downtown so close to the markets and lots of bars on the way.
The food at the doug fir is nice and the bar is open late if you don't want to venture into town.
They could improve by providing some more clothes hangers or wardrobes, two girls had a lot of stuff! The bathroom was a bit old and outdated. But really, you'll be in there for a few minutes a day so who cares really?
Bring ear plugs, drink lots and stay up late and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Jupiter Hotel clearly is: a Travel Lodge with make-up, a relatively decent attempt at being hip, and a great location in an emerging neighborhood. What it is NOT: one of America's best lodging venues, quality versus superficial, and cool.

First off, the hotel has much better street appeal in the evening when the lights are low and you cannot see the flaws. At first drive by, the hotel can be easily missed for it is NOTHING cool at all; it is a Travel Lodge from the 50's-60's with a make-over. You can only do so much with mirrors and IKEA like decor. Nevertheless, at night, this place shines in its "trying to be hip" glory.

And this is the rub, the place pushes the "PARTY" atmosphere with a grunge-goth-hip/hop feel ... and does a good job of this. Nevertheless, we requested a quiet side of the hotel and the wedding outside our room went till Midnight. So we did not get what we asked for. In addition, the room was not ready as promised so we had to move to another location in the hotel. All in all, the rooms are BASIC with an IKEA flair. Clean enough.

As far as the location, just a few blocks from the Burnside Bridge on the SE side so one can walk to the Pearl District or City Center easily. The neighborhood itself is like many Portland areas best described as "emerging". It appears to have enough restaurants, bars, and cool retail outlets to keep one busy near home. One will need to walk by a number of sleeping homeless but that's Portland.

What we like a lot was the attached restaurant; cheap, solid menu, and good food. And we liked the music venue offers a lot of solid artists coming through town. We also liked the customer service offered at the end of the stay when I informed the manager that the wedding went till Midnight, when we were promised it would end by 10:00pm. As a result, we received a significant reduction in our rate. So this helped turn the experience around. Overall, I won't be back for it doesn't work for my needs ... but, if you are trying to be hip, you are young, or you ARE hip ... and on a budget, this is for you. It is NOT as described in famous Travel Magazines as the next best thing. That would be the AVALON or ACE HOTEL or HOTEL MODERA.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2009

On a recent trip from LA to Vancouver we stopped over in Portland and at the recommendation of friends stayed at the Jupiter in Portland. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and accomidating and the breakfast at the adjoining restaurant was GREAT. We were not on business and did not have to get to bed early but after a great Thai dinner we came back to the room with our two small kids and went to bed . There was a nightclub downstairs which we had some concerns about because of some of the reviews but it was not a problem. We did not hear a peep and had a great night sleep. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Very interesting place, esp. for a somewhat conservative person as I from NO. Va.. Lots of diversity here, so if you are not prepared to see lots of tatoos and peircings you might pass, but don't. This is a really sweet place. It is priced right, is spotless and I really like the pure white duvet covers on the beds (not those nasty bedspreads you find in most places). The staff was friendly and helpful. Good location, just a few blocks walk to the river. Breakfast at the Doug Fir on site was always excellent, we ate there every morning. It can be wild and crazy outside your door sometimes, there is always a party going on, but I sleep well and it never bothered me once I shut my door. It it a great plce to people watch. Like that it isn't a chain and the hallways are outside (ie motel style), no creepy elevators to wait for. The Jupiter is not just a hotel, it's an experience, brace yourself.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Me, hubby and little one stayed for a Friday night on a whim. Cute, modern, trendy place with a cool, retro vibe goin on. We arrived in the evening and there were tons of people milling around. Upon arrival, we were a little afraid the noise level would be too loud for us, but were pleasantly surprised with it not being an issue--once we turned on the a/c. Had we not had the a/c, it would have probably been a problem. To address the size issue, it isn't a problem if you aren't doing much hanging out in your room. We had the only room they had available, 2 beds and the room was plenty big for us. I don't know if the other people are use to staying in suites or what, but I travel a lot and have stayed in much smaller rooms that felt cramped. This one does not. The staff was really nice and I love that they re-purposed an old building instead of building brand new. My only complaint is that it doesn't seem like it's close to any shops, restaurants (besides the Doug Fir) etc. Bonus: the Doug Fir is a great place to get a cheap, good breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I travel a lot for business. I stay in hotels anywhere from 3-12 nights every month. I see lots of hotel rooms but I have never experienced anything like the Jupiter Hotel.

First, it is without a doubt the smallest room I've ever stayed in. A king size bed hogs up the room, but the wrapped condom on the cubby nailed to the wall suggests why this may be so. One small round desk and one really uncomfortable chair, a small chest for the TV, 5 hangers and a rack complete the sleep area. No where to lay anything, put anything, no way to be comfortable.

As with others, the shower temp changed randomly in the 15 minutes I need to get clean. The towels weren't bad. I always bring my own pillow and this place is why. Flat, fluffy, or covered in rough material, all the pillows sucked.

Then there is the night club underground (literally) that also has an outdoor bar with a fire pit conveniently located beneath the rooms. It is 11:40 p.m. and I can hear the party with my TV (which does get many channels) and a/c (which does seem to work) both running full tilt.

The bed has a lump in the middle so that when I, who am here alone, try to lay in the center of the bed I am gently but firmly rolled to one side or another. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

On a high note - the staff, though tatted and pierced, were all very pleasant and helpful.

Bottom line - Jupiter Hotel is for those who like to party. If you want to party till you puke then crawl to a safe place to crash, this is the place for you. If you want a place to relax and sleep, go elsewhere.

Because it is a required field I'm checking that I would not recommend this hotel to a friend, by that I mean business friend. I have friends who would love the place. They are young:~>

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business