“Condom wrapper and blood”

Rodeway Inn at Portland Airport
Ranked #108 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 30 December 2013

In my recent stay with Rhodeway I was horrified. When we checked in I noticed dry blood and other stains on the sheets. There was also NO pillow protectors. When I was checking out, I pulled the sheets back and the mattress protector came off with them, an open condom wrapper was underneath. I could not believe it. I am an ex maid and housecleaner and know that ALL areas should be checked and that ALL mattress protectors should be cleaned. I normally have my two children and I am glad that neither one of them found this.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah M
GMor179, General Manager at Rodeway Inn at Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. I apologize that this is what you encountered. We train all housekeepers to remove all bedding and examine all mattresses, replace with new bedding and yes all pillows have pillow protectors. I would like to reassure you that I will conduct a full investigation into what might of occurred with this room. Please feel free to contact me at anytime and we can discuss further as well as I can give you my findings after investigation.

Update: I have investigated this incident and the room was broken into and used after housekeepers had cleaned the room. The person responsible for this miscarriage of hotel procedures has been let go and I can give you my word this will never happen again. I appreciate that you at least let us know so I could do something about it.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stopped in Portland on our way through, with no hotels booked. We used the priceline app to find an affordable place and found the Rodeway inn. Check in was quick and friendly. Rooms are very nice and super clean. Bed was so comfortable, we almost didnt want to get up and continue our journey! Great experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
GMor179, General Manager at Rodeway Inn at Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for staying and reviewing us. We appreciate your business and time. The Rodeway is the perfect hotel is you are looking for an economical stay for an overnight visit. We as a staff pride ourselves on providing clean and comfortable room.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Outstanding hotel/motel. The general manager and her staff do an excellent job keeping
their customers happy. easy check-in, great rooms and friendly staff. (5) star in my opinion.
Great deal for the money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
GMor179, General Manager at Rodeway Inn at Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you the review. Rodeway is great hotel for guests that are looking for a nice clean room with comfy bed and convenient bathroom. We provide very little amenities so we can keep the cost economical. This particular hotel is clean and well cared for. The Rodeway Inn does not provide breakfast or microwaves/refrigerators with the economical cost of the room. We do provide, excellent service, clean room, comfy bed, nice bathroom and 32 inch high definition dish network television for your enjoyment.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed here twice, at the beginning and the end of our America/Canada trip. The first time we were downstairs and the second time upstairs, the stairs are not a problem at all as some people have complained and they do have disabled units downstairs. The rooms are well appointed and very clean and the airconditioner was lovely and cool during hot weather. Both reception and housekeeping staff are helpful and courteous and the breakfast was very enjoyable. The only negative was the Saturday night we were there, they were full and the hot water wasn't hot enough. We informed the staff and they said it had been fixed that morning but perhaps it hadn't been rectified.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 82Janey_D
GMor179, General Manager at Rodeway Inn at Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Thank you for choosing to review your stay with The Rodeway Inn. We are glad we could provide you great stays both times you stayed with us. It is true we had water heater problems the night of your stay and they had been rectified. We had to replace the pump and it was discovered in the evening of your stay and we had it repaired Saturday morning. We take every compliant seriously and do everything in our power to rectify complaints immediately. This hotel is great for guests who need a bed and shower for an early morning or late flight out of PDX. We are close to the airport without the noise of airline traffic. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

For one of the cheapest rooms in the city, the Rodeway Inn hit all the high points: Courteous staff, clean rooms, little noise. The pool was also clean, too, and the shower was clean and had great water pressure. The only issue I saw was the lack of elevator. The motel doesn't have many third-floor rooms but my girlfriend and I got one, and it was a bear to haul all of our travel gear up two flights of stairs (not that I didn't need the exercise).

For the record, we stayed in a queen room, and the commute to downtown was about 15-20 minutes and was easier to handle traveling the non-highway route.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
GMor179, General Manager at Rodeway Inn at Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you fro reviewing our stay with us. Our Rodeway Inn is a great price point for a room with a comfy bed and a hot shower. Our staff does pride itself on making customer service being a top priority and understand the importance of an impressive. It is annoying being an exterior property ad outside properties do not have elevators. Please feel free to contact the front desk and see if we can accommodate a lower floor for your convenience We have a great transit system right behind the hotel and it only costs five dollars to get downtown and back without the hassle of driving. We have easy to read and understand map at the front desk. We look forward to your return trip.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Very disappointed at this place's managerial system. I booked through Expedia asked for a room that would accommodate 3 people with 3 beds, so Expedia charge me 1 room with two beds and one extra rollaway bed. What happened was that when we arrived at the Rodeway Inn the front dest staff told me that they never have rollaway, and addressed that it's Expedia's fault, so I was forced to pay for an extra room besides the one we reserved.
To compound the discrepancy, at time of checking out next day I found that Expedia had already charged my card the price for the room with 3 beds. So we talked to the assistant manager of Rodeway Inn and at the same time called Expedia described to them the problem, the result was that, the Rodeway Inn assistant manager promised to talk to their manager (who was undergoing family issue and was not there that day) and call us back asap to resolve the issue.
Anyway, Rodeway Inn never call us back, and when we called them like the 3rd time, the front desk receptionist said to us offensively "do you know anything about hospitality? you've stayed the room already, nothing we can do, it's Expedia's fault, Expedia is the 3rd party, nothing to do with us!" So we asked him back "so, Expedia has nothing to do with you, can you tell me that Rodeway Inn is not receiving any revenue from Expedia upon this transaction at all? Expedia may be the 3rd party, but it's the extension of Rodeway Inn.......!" one common sense immediately silence the front dest staff, and so he connect us to the manager, who claimed was not informed regarding this matter at all...............!
Well, what happened at the end was that Expedia and Rodeway Inn tried to avoid their own responsibilities by blaming one another, and I ended up paying for an extra room and the rollaway bed that never exist in the first place..............
The funny thing is that I wasn't really looking for refund or anything, it may be a surprise to Expedia and Rodeway Inn that, all I looked for was their acknowledgment of the issue, make improvement in avoidance of similar problems, and perhaps a sincere apology......!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
GMor179, General Manager at Rodeway Inn at Portland Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

I would like to apologize for the miscommunication between the third party used, the hotel and the hotel staff again. I would like to remind anyone who books their stays through a third party reservation system to please reach out to the hotel to confirm your stay needs and make sure the hotel can provide the amenities you require. We are an exterior corridor hotel and as such we do have or offer roll away beds. The hotel and its staff will always go out of its way to provide the best customer service possible to every guest.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

This is a low-end room: two flights of stairs to upstairs rooms, extreme highway noise in the parking lot, and a pool surrounded by asphalt. The entire time we were at the pool, there was loud constant noise from the carpets being cleaned in all of the rooms. Not peaceful in the least! This hotel shares the lot with a Quality Inn. Rodeway Inn guests are told "The continental breakfast is for Quality Inn guests only" which serves to reinforce the low-end nature of this motel. These rooms need a huge overhaul - the sink had a large black hole in it - and so the relatively high price wasn't, I felt, justified. The Best Western nearby looked like a better choice. TAll of these airport-area hotels are really only a place to hang your hat for a day/night after/before flying in/out, but in this day and age these Rodeway Inns, as part of the larger Quality line, are an embarassment to this company. One woman at the desk - red hair - was very capable and friendly. Fitness room has 2 machines,but a good TV and an attached restroom, which is always nice. And a nice selection of places to eat nearby (NOT on Sandy Blvd, though) So, two stars instead of one.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to review your stay with The Rodeway Inn. I have reviewed all of your concerns and would like to reassure you we will look at making this Rodeway Inn one of the best. We are consistently upgrading rooms and upgrading our amenities. It is true we did take the opportunity to have all the carpets cleaned in the rooms for cleanliness because we believe a clean room is part of a great stay. Rodeway does not provide breakfast as one of their brand standards because it enables guests to pay a lower price point. Rodeway provides a clean, simple room for half the price of the continental breakfast hotels in the area. We understand how this feels to Rodeway guests but we try to make up for it with a clean, comfortable room and great customer service.