“some good, some bad”

Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Atlanta, GA
“some good, some bad”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Mixed impressions of this place...

Location is superb, hard to beat. I know they charge for parking, but you just don't need a car in Portland as a tourist because the transit is so good. Like other places that cater more to business travelers, they're still clinging to Internet charges. There's plenty of free wi-fi all around, though.

The mattress and pillows were the best of our trip (3 hotels), so we slept well most nights. But the walls are paper-thin, & we were awoken at 2:15am one night by a bunch of drunk women returning from their bachelorette party (we could hear all their conversations). I would have given it a 'very good' on the sleep quality were it not for the noise.

It was mostly clean, and for me, a clean hotel is a big, big deal, but there were two things that skeeved me. My wife and I travel light with 'travel clothes,' meaning we must wash our clothes every night. An unfortunate side effect of this is that I have to do what I used to consider unthinkable: walk barefoot in a hotel room, since I have only two pairs of socks. The bathroom floor was sticky. The second was that I would stand in the bathtub running water to wash out my clothes, and the tub would start filling up very quickly, meaning there was massive amounts of hair clogging the drain. The mere thought of having my feet in a stranger's 'hair water' gives me shivers. I've actually changed hotel rooms over that before.

and the one thing that really soured me on this place: they have these electronically-monitored fridges with overpriced crap in them. We don't even open the fridges to put our own stuff (there's a Rite-Aid right out the door) in. We literally do not touch the fridges for fear of incurring a charge. There was a glass area on the top that was mostly empty -- I think 2 bottles of liquor & a can of chips. There's a long list of items on a card. We assumed they were inside. Didn't think anything of it.

So a few days after leaving, we get some charge on our card. We called asking what this was, & they said 'refreshment center.' So they wanted to charge us for stuff that was never there. I was livid and went back to the hotel about it (we were in another hotel after returning to Portland later in the week).

If I were staying there again, I would go thru the checklist after first going in the room, & if I didn't see everything in the glass area that's on the list, I'd call a manager to the room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank atlguy67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Few buildings in Portland are more beautiful than this one. From the classy lobby to the newly remodeled rooms (with good local views), this is a relax-and-enjoy experience.

We found the bed uncooperatively soft and we didn't sleep well. The fact that we give it 4/5 anyway shows how terrific everything else was. Next time I'll ask if they have a different pillow-top option that's more firm.

One surprisingly nice feature was the fact that when you leave the elevator, the way the building is constructed you are always fairly near your room. It's tall and skinny, so you don't have to hike down long hallways. It's more intimate and you feel like you own the place.

Portland has got to be the best destination on the West Coast for a weekend couples' getaway.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed here for a personal trip for a Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday and found it to be an excellent home base. Lots of great shopping and eating (including food cart pod) within a short walk and the rail from PDX airport drops you off a few short blocks from the hotel (at Pioneer Square by the Nordstrom), so you can definitely get around without a car if your business or pleasure keeps you in Downtown Portland. Nice walk (sightly uphill) to JELD-WEN Park if you are heading over for a Timbers game.

Very friendly staff here. The front desk let us borrow some paper when we ran out and the gents at the door were helpful and personable.

Good shower, nice tub (although I didn't use it), and a comfy Westin bed that I wish I could have taken with me.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family