“A normal Westin, good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Portland

Westin Portland
Ranked #17 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Dallas TX
“A normal Westin, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

This is a small hotel, but well appointed as with any Westin. It does require valet partking ($33) and does charge for internet ($12.95/day) but the rooms are a good size, clean, good lighting, etc. Bathroom is very large and well appointed. Staff was friendly, though the front desk was always a little too busy (and perhaps understaffed). Overall it's easy to recommend this hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Bend, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

I frequent Portland and had not stayed here before and was pleasantly surprised. Hotel is clean and modern comfortable bedding and limited traffic noise. Parking price is a bit silly $33 so next time I will overnight at a local garage for half the price. Outside of that excellent choice for travel into PDX.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

Overall, this is a good property that will satisfy anyone familiar with the Westin brand.

The room was clean and well appointed. The beds and bedding were "heavenly." :) The bathroom was standard Westin and very clean. The showers had the dual heads...a personal favorite of mine.

The hotel is definitely "cramped" as it is located in a small location in downtown Portland. My wife and I did have to circle the block downtown before a space finally opened up for valet. The valet price ($33) was ridiculously high...but I suspect that any hotel downtown would have a similar price. The internet...as always...came with a price. Which is annoying...but expected for a Westin.

The staff was very friendly. We enjoyed some drinks at the hotel bar and we were generally pleased with the atmosphere of the bar and staff. The hotel was near several nice bars and restaurants.

As others have noted, this hotel does seem to attract "parties" or "groups." So, be prepared for some late night noise from excited guests as they return from their forays. I would ask the front desk staff to be located on a floor away from any groups. Problem solved.

Good hotel overall.

Room Tip: Choose high floor away from elevator. Ask to be placed away from any groups.
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Westin Portland is a very nice hotel. Rooms are comfortable and clean. The staff there is so nice that they made our time there a pleasure.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Make no excuses - this is the hotel you can reserve on a business trip. You'll be very comfortable, it's convenient to everything in downtown Portland, and its not so over-the-top that you have to explain your expense report. Everything is lovely but nothing is too posh and I actually mean that as a compliment.

The building is compact - only 13 rooms on my floor. Standard rooms are just average size, but the bathrooms are oversized at nearly 100 sq. ft. with soaking tubs, separate showers, and generous granite vanities. The Heavenly Beds are, as always, the shining stars of Westin rooms. The mattresses and linens are exquisite. A good nights sleep is all but assured. The furnishings are a bit blah, but if I'm well rested, who cares?

The service is pleasant and efficient. No complaints.

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Mixed impressions of this place...

Location is superb, hard to beat. I know they charge for parking, but you just don't need a car in Portland as a tourist because the transit is so good. Like other places that cater more to business travelers, they're still clinging to Internet charges. There's plenty of free wi-fi all around, though.

The mattress and pillows were the best of our trip (3 hotels), so we slept well most nights. But the walls are paper-thin, & we were awoken at 2:15am one night by a bunch of drunk women returning from their bachelorette party (we could hear all their conversations). I would have given it a 'very good' on the sleep quality were it not for the noise.

It was mostly clean, and for me, a clean hotel is a big, big deal, but there were two things that skeeved me. My wife and I travel light with 'travel clothes,' meaning we must wash our clothes every night. An unfortunate side effect of this is that I have to do what I used to consider unthinkable: walk barefoot in a hotel room, since I have only two pairs of socks. The bathroom floor was sticky. The second was that I would stand in the bathtub running water to wash out my clothes, and the tub would start filling up very quickly, meaning there was massive amounts of hair clogging the drain. The mere thought of having my feet in a stranger's 'hair water' gives me shivers. I've actually changed hotel rooms over that before.

and the one thing that really soured me on this place: they have these electronically-monitored fridges with overpriced crap in them. We don't even open the fridges to put our own stuff (there's a Rite-Aid right out the door) in. We literally do not touch the fridges for fear of incurring a charge. There was a glass area on the top that was mostly empty -- I think 2 bottles of liquor & a can of chips. There's a long list of items on a card. We assumed they were inside. Didn't think anything of it.

So a few days after leaving, we get some charge on our card. We called asking what this was, & they said 'refreshment center.' So they wanted to charge us for stuff that was never there. I was livid and went back to the hotel about it (we were in another hotel after returning to Portland later in the week).

If I were staying there again, I would go thru the checklist after first going in the room, & if I didn't see everything in the glass area that's on the list, I'd call a manager to the room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank atlguy67
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

Few buildings in Portland are more beautiful than this one. From the classy lobby to the newly remodeled rooms (with good local views), this is a relax-and-enjoy experience.

We found the bed uncooperatively soft and we didn't sleep well. The fact that we give it 4/5 anyway shows how terrific everything else was. Next time I'll ask if they have a different pillow-top option that's more firm.

One surprisingly nice feature was the fact that when you leave the elevator, the way the building is constructed you are always fairly near your room. It's tall and skinny, so you don't have to hike down long hallways. It's more intimate and you feel like you own the place.

Portland has got to be the best destination on the West Coast for a weekend couples' getaway.

• 1 of 5 bubbles