“Great central location, great service and "nice digs"”
Review of Westin Portland

Westin Portland
Ranked #19 of 141 Hotels in Portland
“Great central location, great service and "nice digs"”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had a great visit to Portland partly because of the Westin is a great hotel and because Portland is a great town.

The Westin is located right in the city's center. Everything is within easy walking distance. The staff was friendly, helpful and solicitous. The rooms are a good size for a city hotel, clean and well appointed.

Love that "Heavenly Bed"!!

Even our dog says "Thanks" for contributing to a great weekend in Portland!

1 Thank Msk6261

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 12/7, and checkout out 12/8. I wish I could give a 2.5 star rating as it would be a more accurate reflection of my experience.

Cons:

1) There is no gift shop. The purpose of gift shops isn't really to buy trinkets. It's for people who forgot to pack necessities, such as OTC medicines. This is my chief complaint about this hotel. If you are going to call yourself a 4 star hotel, then offer the amenities guests expect from a quality 4 star hotel. I used to travel extensively for work, and have never stayed at a 3 star or higher rated hotel that didn't have a gift shop. This was a huge deal for me, because I had a throbbing sinus headache bordering on migraine status, and desperately needed pain reliever. I asked for the gift shop location when the pain first started early evening. It was then that I learned the hotel didn't have one. I googled for the location of the nearest pharmacy. According to google, the nearest pharmacy to The Westin, was almost half a mile away. I was in Portland visiting my mentally and physically disabled adult daughter. The weather is very cold, too cold for her to walk that far and I couldn't very well leave her alone. I tried to bear through it the best I could. I didn't sleep that night, just tossed and turned, groaning in agony. By 5am, I called the front desk, begging for Tylenol, aspirin, anything. The response I received was a callous, "No." That's it. That's all she said. "No." in a tone that made me feel like I was annoying her.

2) Room service has a 22% gratuity charge, on top of the $2.95 delivery charge. I don't know if this is a new Portland thing, or unique to this hotel. All the other hotels I've stayed in (mostly in Washington State, a few times in Montana and Oregon some years back), had an 18% gratuity charge. When the room service attendant brought our food Saturday evening, I see on the bill, the tip portion is not crossed out. I asked him to verify gratuity is already included. His icy response was, "......I get a percentage." I felt bad, like I had done something wrong by asking, so I gave him additional money. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't done that, but what's done is done.

3) I'll lump the rest here. Everything in this hotel is more expensive, even compared to other 4 star hotels. Besides the 22% gratuity for room service, movie rentals (even for movies that have been out a lone time) are $15.95 per movie. Other hotels charge between $7.95 to $10.95. The TV was around 32 to 38 inches and the picture quality was mediocre making the exorbitant cost even less worth it. In room WiFi is $12.95 per 24 hours. Don't expect fast loading pages and you'll have to hit RESEND more than a few times when Skypeing. I wasn't sure where the entrance to the parking garage was located (I circled the block several times), so I ended up parking in the garage of a church about 5 blocks away. The church attendant told me parking is free if I get my ticket validated at any of the local businesses. When I tried to get my ticket validated at the front desk upon check in, the receptionist responded with, "We don't do that." Wow. Just Wow. Bezos, the CEO of Amazon, once said that short term greed is not the way to gain customer loyalty. This brand could learn a thing or two from him.

Pros:

1) The food is not fancy, but decent and the helpings are generous. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed the carrot cake which is more than enough for three people to share.

2) The quality of the hotel interior is nice. The bathroom is amazing, definitely the highlight of our stay. The shower is huge, has a rainfall shower head (LOVE those) and a separate attachment to get all those hard to reach areas. While they don't have pain reliever, the front desk does offer toothbrushes and toothpaste for those who forgot them. The workout room is spacious, clean, and has a good variety of accessories. There is an in hotel lounge and dining room, very well kept with friendly staff.

3) Upon checkout, the receptionist asked me how my stay was. I told her what happened when I called for pain reliever. She told me there was a Rite Aid just around the block. I told her that would have been nice to know, rather than hear, "No." on the phone. She was very empathetic, and comped the movie and internet rental. That was really nice of her, as I never suggested nor expected her to do this.

Overall, I rate my experience as average, not the best, not the worst. That said, I expect better from a 4 star hotel. While Rite Aid is around the corner, I still feel a quality hotel should have common OTC medicines available for guests. If a guest wakes up at 2am with a headache, intense heartburn, hacking cough, etc. they should be able to get what they need from the hotel. Otherwise, they will likely remember this and stay somewhere else. I certainly will the next time I'm in Portland.

Room Tip: Not worth full price. Do priceline's name your own price. Otherwise stay somewhere else.
3 Thank Camlin L
Westin_Portland_GM, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer some insight into your stay at my hotel. It sounds as though there were many missed opportunities with your stay. Given the nature of our hotel, and the limited space, we do not offer a gift shop, but as you mentioned carry quite a few items that a traveler might need. We in most typical situations do not give OTC medications due to some liabilities, however there were many other ways we could have handled the situation up to and including going to the Rite Aid on your behalf. I actually reviewed this experience with my operations team just this morning based on the review you posted on Yelp.com to insure that future guests do not have the same experience. I will say that I was stunned when I Googled pharmacies that you were correct in that the Rite Aid and Target of which both are just steps from the hotel were not listed. I would certainly welcome a chance to discuss this with you further and can be reached at matt.tronsdal@westin.com if you wish. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the service lapses you experienced. Given that we are a four star hotel, I do expect much more from our team and your review provided an excellent opportunity to review our service standards. It was encouraging that there was an attempt to recover as you were departing, but that may have fallen a bit short as well. Again, thank you for the gift of your feedback and time, and most of all to work to evolve and grow our service offerings. I do hope to have the opportunity to discuss further.
Allen, Texas
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Great shopping and restaurants close to the hotel. Also all the food trucks are just a block away. Very cozy bar area with a wonderful fireplace which was nice since we stayed during a really cold spell for Portland. Staff is very friendly and efficient. Bathroom is is very luxurious and the bed was super comfy. I would stay here again!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is extremely well appointed, well located, and the staff extraordinarily friendly although not always available. We had a double room. The 'heavenly' beds must only be referencing queen and king as the double bed was definitely for the peasant class. The bath linens were bright white, clean and paper thin. These minor enhancements are the hold backs from a 5 star rating, but enough to drop to a 3. Thanksgiving day happened to be beautiful so we forgo the time to partake in regular thanksgiving activities, to enjoy the outdoor scenery of Portlandia. Friday was more normal, so back to traditional Thanksgiving events.

• Stayed November 2013
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I loved the location and how intimate this hotel is..Service fantastic, bed amazing...really loved to small lobby bar for a martini with friends..Can walk anywhere in downtown from here. Starbucks coffee in room very nice... But really, It's all about the Heavelny Bed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Portland for a concert that we were seeing at the Rose Garden. The hotel was very easy too find off the freeway and we were greeted by friendly staff. The location was walking distance to all the shops, food trucks and wonderful restaurants. Our room was clean and had tasteful artwork and decorations. When we walked in we had a little box of chocolates and a towel bunny on our bed- how did they know my favorite animal?? The bed was 'heavenly' and enjoyed the over-sized tile shower. We had cocktails in the lounge- a cucumber moscow mule which was refreshing after a long day of shopping. Overall, we had a wonderful experience at the Westin Portland and would recommend to anyone looking for a comfortable, classy place to stay in a perfect location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna M
Renton, Washington
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Westin Portland is a centrally located hotel for anything you may wish to do in Portland. We had no trouble with our check in. Kord at the curb helped us with our car and luggage, he did a great job. Front desk staff was great as was the bar staff, Keith the bartender did a great job.

Our room was standard fare for a Westin, clean comfortable but a little small. The only bad thing I would say about the hotel was the water noise from the rooms above and around ours. You could hear the toilet flush, the sink run and the shower. Other than that I do not have anything else to say. If you are looking for a nice hotel in Portland I recommend the Westin.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple