“Great Stay Downtown”

Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco, California
“Great Stay Downtown”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The location of the hotel was good, downtown and walkable to many places in the area and close proximity to the many public transportation stops that can take you to most of the neighborhoods outside of downtown.

I stayed in a premium corner room, totally worth it to spend the extra money. It had operable windows which was great because I was there during a heatwave so the room was very bright and airy. The bathroom was large with a rain shower and huge windows allowed great light in to brighten it up. The room was very comfortable, a big bed with great bedding, a big sitting chair, a desk and all tastefully decorated. Very little drawer storage, though. There's a daily internet/WiFi charge, which I hate, it seemed like a lot of business people stay here who expense it so if the demand is high... charge.

Staff was friendly and can recommend places to see, restaurants or whatever questions you may have. There are two common areas in the lobby that are fun to sit in and have a cocktail. There's a restaurant attached to the hotel, but I would recommend you seek out your meals outside the hotel. Do have a cocktail though.

Room Tip: Superior corner rooms on a higher floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at the Westin for 3 days in late October 2013. My son was 7 months old. I am writing this review through the filter of traveling with an infant since that's what I was mainly concerned with when researching the trip myself.

Check-in was quick and flawless. I requested a crib when I made the reservations online and when we entered the room after check in I was pleased to see that it was there! No need to call the front desk and request it a second time. It was a clean, good quality portable crib, not a pack-n-play which was nice. A nice crib sheet was provided and already on the mattress. They also provided a new, still in the package crib blanket for you as a gift to take with you. That was a very nice touch!

The room was extremely clean and QUIET. We moved the desk over a few inches and rolled the crib in the corner but even without doing that, there was plenty of room for the crib.

The hotel is very conveniently located. The food trucks right across the street are great when traveling with a kid because you have a ton of selection right at your fingertips. We also ordered room service one night and have absolutely no complaints. The food was prompt and hot and good.

If you are thinking of traveling to Portland with an infant, I would recommend the Westin, most definitely. It was our son's first plane trip and it went off without a hitch. We were avid travelers before we had a child and are determined to remain so as a family. Don't let having a baby keep you at home. I think that between 3 and 11 months is a particular sweet spot for plane travel. They are just happy being held and still nap quiet a bit, so if you're thinking about it, don't listen to the detractors that say it's too hard, just start your packing list, get organized and do it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank frojjy
Westin_Portland_GM, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to circle back and provide insight into your experience. As a father of a rather busy four year old, I could not agree more with respect to blocking out the detractors. Our favorite tip was to offer a bottle during take-off to avoid the ear pressure issues and it always worked like a charm and led nicely to a nap on the plane. With some careful planning and the right hotel partners you can have a great time traveling with your kids. Westin has an outstanding Kids Club program for just this reason. I am pleased to hear that we had a hand in your child’s first trip, and it sounds like you were able to take in much of what our great city has to offer. We hope to welcome you back to The Westin Portland when your travels next bring you back to the Rose City.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Before I moved to Portland, OR this was my hotel of choice when travelling to the city, and I still love this hotel for a local "get-away" I stayed here during a winter storm which forced me to cancel my orignal out-of-state plans. This hotel has the most comfy beds, clean linens (your standard basic hotel white) and a modern feel throughout the hotel. I love staying here because it's just a couple blocks from pioneer square, and the MAX (local train) lines, so walkability to some of the best restaurants and events is perfect, but it's far enough away you do not get the traffic/train noise. The Daily Grill (restaurant in the lobby) is OK, but IMHO, Portland has so many better retaurants to explore for dining.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room, they are a little larger and a bit quieter...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such a great review. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed The Westin Heavenly Bed, and that it provided you some sense of rejuvenation. While I am sorry to hear that you had to cancel your original plans, its great to hear that you chose us for your Staycation. Remember us for The Holiday Shopping season as it’s a great time to hit the stores for the tax free shopping and then unwind in The Heavenly Bed with a little room service.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This centrally located smaller hotel is staffed by agreeable and accommodating personnel who really try to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms and especially the bathrooms are spacious and comfortably furnished. The hotel is located just a block or so from the famous Portland food cart center which is an attraction in itself. No gym or fitness room but the comfort and location more than make up for the lack of facilities that a larger hotel might have.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Feedback is a great gift, and I am thankful for the time you took to post a review. We refer to our hotel as small but mighty. I am delighted to hear that the teams passion for service translated well in your experience. I was sorry to see that you missed the Westin Workout Studio. We renovated the space about a year ago, and it is tucked away on our third floor. We have cardio, free weights, stretching mats, and a multifunctional machine in a room with great natural light. In addition to this, we offer a gear lending program through New Balance should you wish to leave your gear at home. It was also great to see that you were able to take advantage of our great location and amazing food scene while you were with us. Thank you for choosing to stay with The Westin Portland, and we will hope to welcome you back very soon.
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Overall we had a very good stay at the Westin Portland. The rooms are modern and clean, the beds comfy and the bathrooms are huge with a separate tub and shower.
Initially we were given a room that had not been made up. After calling the front desk, they were very appologetic and quickly moved us to another room on a different floor. Additionally they comp'd us some drinks and appy's at the bar for the inconvenience. I thought the situation was very well handled.

The appys were very good so the following day we decided to have breakfast at the restaurant thinking that the food would be good as it is the same kitchen. What a disappointment! The food was very sub par to say the least. The eggs benedict holandaise had separated and was cold, and the corned beef hash was tough and tastless and actually inedible. We reluctantly had to send the corned beef hash back and replaced it with french toast. The french toast was quite sub par as well - thin average bread and soggy. Other than the great service from our server Carlo, the entire breakfast was a disappointment. The prices are very similar to the Urban Farmer at the Nines Hotel (which is excellent by the way) so I was expecting a lot more. What a let down.

Other than the breakfast and the dirty room at check-in every thing was flawless.

A couple comments to note. There is no on-site self parking. Valet parking is $37/day but there are other cheaper options down the street in a parkade. Internet is $12.95/day but is free if you are a starwood member. Not sure how 4* hotels get away with charging for internet these days when much cheaper hotels have it complimentary?

I would recommend staying at the Westin and would recommend. Just dont eat breakfast in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room -- they are larger.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
First, let me thank you for taking the time to provide us some insight into your experience. I do apologize for what seems to be a lack luster performance at breakfast. I will be sharing this feedback with the culinary team as well as helping them celebrate the service that you received by Carlos. We take pride in providing our guests a sense of renewal, and it sounds like we missed the mark with your dining experience. Additionally, it is inexcusable to check any guest into a room that has not been serviced and we will be circling the wagon with respect to this in our staff meeting this week to review our processes and insure it does not happen again. Your feedback is also appreciated with respect to the internet and the fee’s associated with the service. We have just recently upgraded our system to a 100mgs of fiber to insure value for the price paid, and remain committed to finding ways to increase value for our guests. We are working on solutions for this now as a direct result of guest feedback and hope to have solutions in place when you next return to The Westin Portland.
Oregon
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a room up on the 14th floor, very nice and quiet. I love that the Westin provides the city's paper, Wall Street and the NY Times and coffee downstairs in the morning. they have a small "living room" where guests can wait for their company. This room has a couch, easy chairs (4) and a small library where you can "take a book/leave a book".here is a bar in the next room; also a restaurant. This hotel is located in the heart of downtown, close to McCall Waterfront Park, the Pearl,, Art Museum, Powell's Books, lots of shopping, Pioneer Square, etc. Street cars take you everywhere. We usually walk and we try not to bring a car when staying at hotels because parking at the hotels is usually around $40 - $60 a night. We usually fly in or train in. Great service, very friendly and helpful staff. My husband loves their "heavenly beds" and will pick Westin because of that.

Room Tip: We have had rooms on different floors and everyone of them is great at this particular hotel (I can...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed 2 May 2014

After driving 10 hours from San Francisco we were tired. We pulled up in front of the hotel and immediately greeted by a very calm, friendly valet who gave us great advice and service. We walked right in the front doors and within 45 seconds had room keys, a bottle of water, and friendly service. Our room on the 18th floor was gorgeous, clean, spacious, and modern. We were able to walk to a store, the famous food trucks, coffee, and shopping within seconds. The valets continued to be able to give us friendly advice and directions. The wifi was fast, elevators too, and had a lovely drink lounge.
Would return for longer as this place is classy, clean, and superior customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Westin_Portland_GM, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
The drive from San Francisco can be a long trek, so I am thrilled to hear that you found renewal waiting for you upon arrival. It sounds as though you were able to take advantage of all the things our great location has to offer. We are grateful for the feedback and thrilled that you found the experience in Portland to be rejuvenating. Thank you for choosing to stay with The Westin Portland.