“Loved our memorial day stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Portland

Westin Portland
Ranked #17 of 138 Hotels in Portland
San Francisco, California
“Loved our memorial day stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

The staff were great, friendly, and they loved our dogs.

The room was clean and large, with modern fittings (which I am a fan of). The hotel in itself is beautiful and gorgeously presented. Trust me I am a judgy fussy person when it comes to interior decor. :-)

Being the late night exercise-person that I am, I appreciated the 24 hour Gym.

We were looking for a 4 seasons hotel in Portland when we decided to visit (as we have high standards) and the Westin did it for us. They are my new 4 seasons!

Keep up the great work. Def coming back.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room on a high floor, so you can get great views of the city on a quieter level...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The staff at this hotel are very nice and accommodating. Rooms were comfortable. Recently remodeled. Clean and quiet.
The elevators are slow, only two available so there is a wait and usually crowded.
Decor is nice.
Location is great, especially for people who like to walk. Portland is a great walking city. Near the food trucks!
My only complaint about this hotel is the bell man staff. After we first arrived and were asked if we needed any help with bags checking in we were left on our own.
I feel they are lazy, uninterested in the guests and are unhelpful.
When I am told to hail my own cab, or to walk across the street to get a cab that is parked there...mind you only to find out that the guy was off duty!
What's you job ?
When we left we had our bags held for a while and we had to drag them out of storage ourselves! One person helped but we carried most of the bags ourselves....
Come on guys....what's you job? Don't you want tips?
I feel this is a really bad representation of a hotel. These are the FIRST people you see when you arrive and the LAST you see when you leave.
I have stayed at many hotels stateside and in Europe, and truly my trip has been made exceptional by the bell staff. They live in that city, they know the ins and outs, they can advise even better than a concierge about hot spots and tourist traps. Starwood get your act together at The Nines they trip over themselves to accommodate you. Wake up boys there are many other terrific hotels in Portland!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have an awful view of roofs, It's a city I think that's hard to avoid.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Great downtown location close to lots of stuff. One block from one of the food cart blocks which is ideal for lunch. They have a fine restaurant downstairs, but honestly, you are in Portland and you can find some more interesting things outside of the hotel.
Nicely appointed room. Clean. My room wasn't huge, but it was fine with enough space for working at the desk.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice location down town walking to most places. The room was nice with a good view. However all three of us agree that the beds here are so comfortable!!! Having stayed other places in the past few days it was hands down the best sleep. The front desk was very helpful. The Hotel provided us with as many water bottles as we needed because the city had a boil notice on the water.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a weekend trip to Portland. The hotel was great, and the weather that weekend was fantastic!

One of the best aspects of this hotel is its prime downtown location. My flight arrived in Portland fairly late at night, and I took the MAX Light Rail from the airport to downtown (really easy and inexpensive -- definitely recommend it). The hotel was only a couple of blocks from the Pioneer Square station. This hotel was also a great starting point for exploring neighborhoods like the Pearl District and the shops/restaurants on NW 23rd Ave, and it's only a block away from a huge collection of Portland's famous food carts/trucks.

Check-in was pleasant, and the front desk staff was happy to recommend a place where I could grab a drink at such a late hour (about midnight), as the hotel bar was already closed. The room was plenty big for me, and the bathroom was massive. Such a treat! The only drawback was that I was placed in a connecting room, and while the walls between rooms were nice and thick, the connecting door was the weak link. The ladies in the room next to me had clearly partied hard on Saturday night and were having a rough Sunday morning. I mentioned something to the front desk staff who checked me out that day, and she apologized and recommended I note in my SPG account that I prefer rooms without connecting doors.

This hotel was much more modern and elegant than I was expecting. I think this hotel has a lot of competition in the downtown area, but for the right price, I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a connecting door...unless you're booking both rooms, of course.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank vstclair
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

The location of the hotel was good, downtown and walkable to many places in the area and close proximity to the many public transportation stops that can take you to most of the neighborhoods outside of downtown.

I stayed in a premium corner room, totally worth it to spend the extra money. It had operable windows which was great because I was there during a heatwave so the room was very bright and airy. The bathroom was large with a rain shower and huge windows allowed great light in to brighten it up. The room was very comfortable, a big bed with great bedding, a big sitting chair, a desk and all tastefully decorated. Very little drawer storage, though. There's a daily internet/WiFi charge, which I hate, it seemed like a lot of business people stay here who expense it so if the demand is high... charge.

Staff was friendly and can recommend places to see, restaurants or whatever questions you may have. There are two common areas in the lobby that are fun to sit in and have a cocktail. There's a restaurant attached to the hotel, but I would recommend you seek out your meals outside the hotel. Do have a cocktail though.

Room Tip: Superior corner rooms on a higher floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at the Westin for 3 days in late October 2013. My son was 7 months old. I am writing this review through the filter of traveling with an infant since that's what I was mainly concerned with when researching the trip myself.

Check-in was quick and flawless. I requested a crib when I made the reservations online and when we entered the room after check in I was pleased to see that it was there! No need to call the front desk and request it a second time. It was a clean, good quality portable crib, not a pack-n-play which was nice. A nice crib sheet was provided and already on the mattress. They also provided a new, still in the package crib blanket for you as a gift to take with you. That was a very nice touch!

The room was extremely clean and QUIET. We moved the desk over a few inches and rolled the crib in the corner but even without doing that, there was plenty of room for the crib.

The hotel is very conveniently located. The food trucks right across the street are great when traveling with a kid because you have a ton of selection right at your fingertips. We also ordered room service one night and have absolutely no complaints. The food was prompt and hot and good.

If you are thinking of traveling to Portland with an infant, I would recommend the Westin, most definitely. It was our son's first plane trip and it went off without a hitch. We were avid travelers before we had a child and are determined to remain so as a family. Don't let having a baby keep you at home. I think that between 3 and 11 months is a particular sweet spot for plane travel. They are just happy being held and still nap quiet a bit, so if you're thinking about it, don't listen to the detractors that say it's too hard, just start your packing list, get organized and do it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank frojjy
Westin_Portland_GM, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to circle back and provide insight into your experience. As a father of a rather busy four year old, I could not agree more with respect to blocking out the detractors. Our favorite tip was to offer a bottle during take-off to avoid the ear pressure issues and it always worked like a charm and led nicely to a nap on the plane. With some careful planning and the right hotel partners you can have a great time traveling with your kids. Westin has an outstanding Kids Club program for just this reason. I am pleased to hear that we had a hand in your child’s first trip, and it sounds like you were able to take in much of what our great city has to offer. We hope to welcome you back to The Westin Portland when your travels next bring you back to the Rose City.