“Good location but such poor service”
Review of Westin Portland

Westin Portland
Ranked #19 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Sydney, Australia
“Good location but such poor service”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel has a quaint cozy feel about it, its well located and the lobby bar is quite good although there are so many negatives. There are only 2 lifts that are incredibly slow, you will wait up to 5 minutes everytime you need to use them, there was a soccer team staying at the hotel at the time and it seems its something that the hotel are not used to and are inexperienced about dealing with international sporting teams and treating the other hotel guests with any respect at the same time. There are no bathrooms in the lobby of the hotel only on level 2 where the soccer team had their meeting rooms and staff were more than reluctant in letting you use them, after asking a member of staff where the toilets where I received a response of "You know where the toilet is its in your room as your a guest" said the lady with an Australian accent.

The valets drive very dangerously, I witnessed the valet almost hit a family sitting near the driveway when reversing at speed then proceed to scrape the mirror of the black SUV without a care in the world, it could be the guests rental car in the previous review although I would think that damage to the cars is a regular occurance, I was also surprised in some of the upper managements casual dress sense of jeans.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Thomas R
Westin_Portland_GM, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
I am so sorry that we fell so incredibly short of your expectations. Our team worked hard to minimize the impact of the sports team, however we clearly missed the mark for you and your experience at my hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss further as this is not the lasting impression I wish for any guest to have. My direct email is matt.tronsdal@westin.com. I do hope that you will reach out.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel choices in Portland are rather limited. Most of the options are older properties that have been resurrected. The Westin Portland is a more contemporary structure, circa 1980. It’s a well a kept, centrally located, civilized hotel. We’ve stayed here twice.

Parking is by valet only and very expensive. But you won’t need a car as you can access Pioneer Square (two blocks away) by Tri-Met light rail from the airport in 25 minutes. Once in town, you can use the Tri-Met, or better yet, rent a bicycle and get riding. Portland is America’s bike-riding capitol. There are several really good bike-shops and bike lanes everywhere. Drivers are incredibly courteous and deferential to bikers. Promenades on either side of the river, and eight bridges offer many great bike-routes. You can even take your bike on the train and hang it up. It’s a joy to ride in Portland.

Right outside the hotel there’s a food-truck parking lot. Food-trucks are a Portland institution, but the quality of the fare at the various trucks is hit or miss. Some are great; others are mediocre. Check the latest reviews or take your chances . You may have better luck if you just walk a few blocks north on 9th Avenue into the Pearl district, where there are lots of appealing, interesting places to eat.

Desk staff at the Westin are smart and professional. But the hotel is often fully booked or hosting special events. So the staff’s ability to offer special accommodation may be constrained.

The lobby lounge is small but not a bad place to wait for somebody . There are some nice art pieces around the common areas and in the guest-rooms. There are only two elevators and they are over-used.

Guest-rooms are a bit cramped and even the studio suites are less than 350 sq ft. It will take a bit of furniture re-arranging in the suite just to make room for two suitcases. The bathrooms, however, are quite spacious, and pleasantly decorated, with two sinks, and separate shower and tub. Higher floors have decent views and the windows do open. As usual, the Westin beds are incredibly comfortable.

Overall, the hotel is serviceable, adequate, but nothing special. Still, it’s a bit of a challenge to find something better in Portland.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edward S
Thank you so much for sharing such a great review. I would like to connect directly to see how we might better meet your needs and move from good to great. We strive to make memorable experiences and deliver personalized service. I would welcome the chance to discuss further how we can better connect and exceed your expecations. My contact information is matt.tronsdal@westin.com. Again thank you for a great review and some wonderful tips on accessing all that my great city has to offer.
Ashton, md
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Had one night to spend in Portland and wanted to stay downtown using my Starwood points, so chose the Westin. The location is within walking distance of many cool things in downtown Portland, that was great.

However, not only is the parking ridiculously expensive but the parking attendants damaged our rental car but claimed it was damaged before we got there - even though no one ever said a word to us or indicated on our parking stub.

The room was tiny, the exercise room was tiny as well with badly maintained equipment. The elevators were slow, the staff weren't very friendly, etc. Not much to recommend about this place, other than location - they did have a nice choice of free newspapers, to give them some credit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
I am sorry to learn that your stay was less than satifactory. Please contact me to discuss further at matt.tronsdal@westin.com
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We arrived at the Westin in Portland, Oregon and were told our room would not be ready until 5 PM after being guaranteed a 3 PM check-in time. We were not given our room until about 6:45 PM. There was a soccer game in town, and the team staying at the Westin was given late checkout - 100 rooms were affected. This decision by the management at this particular Westin affected many people - not just us. We asked for some sort of compensation, and thankfully, Nicole, one of the Westin concierge staff gave us drink and appetizer vouchers. Once in our room, we realized our air conditioning didn't work correctly. We requested it be fixed about three times - never really got fixed. We requested turndown service - didn't get it. Very disappointing stay and we will not stay here again - probably will not stay in another Westin Hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank lovetotravel123_12
Westin_Portland_GM, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am so sorry that we did not deliver on the promises we make as a brand. I would delighted to discuss further with you in person at matt.tronsdal@westin.com. Our desire was that the Soccer team would not impact our other guests in a meaningful way as their schedule changed late in the game. I am so sorry that we did not deliver a renewing experience and again would love to discuss with you further as we made a conscious decision to work with our Soccer Team guests and to try and balance the needs of our remaining guests. I realize we fell short of expectations and hope to discuss further.
Redmond, WA
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Downtown Portland location is close to everything. Park your car and walk wherever you might like. Everyone's service is top quality. The people at the front desk really care and are full of restaurant suggestions as well as sightseeing ideas.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. I will be sure to share with my team. Thank you for choosing The Westin Portland, and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here a few weeks ago for the second time and will be back. Great location. Very quiet rooms. I love that it is pet friendly. The front desk staff was very helpful when suggesting dining. Go to the Farmers Market within a few blocks on Saturday for breakfast!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
USA
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at Westin Portland with my husband and our baby for four nights. We got a standard room (I think). The room was rather small, but the bathroom was spacious and I liked that. The shower was nice and clean, I wish they had a separate tub though. Their Heavenly Bed was comfortable as always.

We requested a crib in advance but we didn't see it in our room upon arrival. We called the service desk and they brought us one quickly.

The location of this hotel is great! It's close to shopping, lots of restaurants and food carts. There are Target and Rite Aid within a couple of blocks so that was very convenient. I saw many buses and trains stations nearby.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family