“Great service but that's it.”
Review of North 45 Pub

North 45 Pub
Ranked #1,024 of 4,276 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Northwest District
Ridgefield, Washington
“Great service but that's it.”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was a real disappointment. We ordered the calamari, and while it was fresh and perfectly prepared the dipping sauce ( we believe because it is the only thing we ate in common) was bad, as my wife took turns in the bathroom all night. I ordered the pork medallions, which were good. But the polenta left something to be desired. My wife ordered the flat iron steak, which had a chocolate sauce on it, which would have been good except there was way too much of it. It was so drowned in chocolate that you couldn't taste the steak. The menu said it came with arugula which was missing. Music was good but way too loud to be able to have a conversation. The waitress was great and made the experience tolerable. Could be a great place if there was some attention paid to the food preparation.

• Visited March 2014

Portland, Oregon
“Great find, excellent food, nice pub!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I were craving mussels, so we thought we would check out North 45. What a great find! It is a small pub with lots of charm and character. Lots of soccer memorabilia on the walls and cool old wood bar. We sat at the bar, mostly because it was a busy Saturday night and all the tables were filled up. There isn't a lot of seating in this restaurant, with the exception of the back patio, but it was 35 degrees and I wasn't about to sit back there. Anyway, Emily was our server and she is great! Very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. There are about seven different styles of mussels, all very enticing. There are also other pub-like choices, such as fish and chips, which is what I had. The food was fabulous, very fresh and hot. This is a fun little place with lots of good people watching and everyone is having a great time. The ONLY reason I give this restaurant four out of five stars is due to its location, which is good and bad. Good in that it is right on 21st Avenue in Portland, bad that you have to deal with street parking which can really suck. But if you know that before you go and plan to drive around for 10-15 minutes or so looking for a place to park, no worries. But we love this little pub and will definitely be back to try out more of their food offerings. Check it out. Great place, nice people!

• Visited November 2013
Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great neighborhood pub with great food!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Love the happy hour! The food- all of it-
Is great. My favorite is the chicken flautas and the sliders. Try the Moscow mules! My fav!

Visited September 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Needed my passport to be served (?)”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I would love to write a great review of this place - but unfortunately our government issued picture ID (plus secondary ID) was not enough to be served a beverage.

My girlfriend and I ordered and were asked for ID (as is the norm). We provided the lovely waitress with my Driver's license (BC, Canada) and offered a secondary piece of ID. My girlfriend is from Argentina, she provided an official Argentinian DNI card (Picture ID). Both have photos and date of birth. The waitress asked politely if we had our passports - we advised we didn't. She said it was ok, but came back a few minutes later saying her bar manager advised she couldn't serve us if we didn't have our passports. She was very apologetic and polite about it - but it really is quite embarrassing to have to walk out as if we're minors asking for alcohol. I'm 31. My girlfriend is 26. We went to several bars and restaurants in Portland that same night, and the night after and never experienced this problem.

I obviously don't carry my passport around with me when I travel - it's safe and secure in my hotel - and I've never read or heard that this would be necessary in Portland. I had heard great things about North 45 and I do wish I was able to experience it.

If you're visiting and don't have a US ID, take your passport.

If the management of the bar is reading this - I'd love to know a little more about this policy and how you justify it... and I'd like to suggest displaying the policy somewhere clearly.

• Visited October 2013
San Jose, California
“Wonderful Spot!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had a lovely time here. The food was enjoyable and the beer was quite good. Our server was friendly and fun. We ate out on the back patio: such a sweet area!

• Visited August 2013