“Perfect Stay-cation”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Powell Butte
Bend, Oregon
“Perfect Stay-cation”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Brasada is a great family get-away, tons of stuff for the kids (Amazing Pool and waterslide, game room with Wii, air hockey, video games, etc, basketball court, sand volleyball). We live in Central Oregon and Brasada is a perfect get-away or staycation. Super close and relaxation and fun as soon as you enter the gate. Let your mind wander and you could be in Cabo sipping Corona's! Or Pacifico on tap as it was!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Trevor C, General Manager at Brasada Ranch, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you for the great comments about your time at Brasada Ranch. We are extremely pleased to be able to appeal to our local residents of Central Oregon as a stay-cation destination. There is still plenty of summer left and we hope you get a chance to stay-cation with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Love this place! The views are amazing, the pool is the perfect temperature, golf course is fantastic, food is gourmet and we also love the outdoor fireplaces. We have stayed here a few times and each time Brasada Ranch exceeds our expectations. I recommend asking for a cabin with a hot tub - although there are hot tubs at the pool, it is great to end the night or start the day with a soak just out side your door. Also - if you are staying a few nights, bring something to grill. All the cabins have really nice gas BBQ grills and there is nothing like hanging out on your back deck in the sunshine enjoying the view. We have two children, 5 and 7 and they love the kids pool with slide and lazy river - they also love the kids hangout room with ping pong, air hockey, small climbing wall, puzzels, and other games. We also took advantage of Brasada's kids club one night and our kids made new friends, visited the horses and had a blast at their own little cookout! Great for a couples getaway too since they have a separate pool without the water slide that is great for lounging around without kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a hot tub and a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kiraleeski
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay at Brasada Ranch. We are glad that you and your children had such a great time. Our Cowboy Cookouts are very popular in the summer months and it is a great opportunity to enjoy great food, meet and experience the horses at the Equestrian Center and make some new friends. It sounds like they accomplished all three elements. Thank you for your recommendations and please come and see us again soon.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 July 2012

As an Oregonian, I find it hard to believe that Brasada isn't world-reknown for the first-class resort that it is. Gorgeously nestled high in the central Oregon desert, with stunning views of the Cascades, and with its unique "experience concierge" concept providing endless options ranging from extreme outdoor sports to pure luxurious relaxation, Brasada is truly a gem.

The cabin we rented was absolutely perfect for our family of four with two teenagers. The decor is luxurious yet rustically suited to echo the expansive environment that surrounds the resort. Two spacious bedrooms with plenty of privacy, joined by a central great room/kitchen with a high-end surround sound theater system. Round all that out with a back porch that overlooks the desert from valley to mountains, the house felt like our first real home away from home.

But the stay only begins with the relaxing accommodations. Tough as it is to leave the house, Brasada's one-of-a-kind athletic center is a true hub for the entire resort. Its three pools - ranging from indoor athletic to a water wonderland for kids to a quiet adult wading pool - sit just behind an outstanding workout facility and a real vacation life-saver feature, a rec room for kids with everything you can imagine to keep them busy while you take in a few hours in the sun.

The golf course at the resort is also criminally underrated. Peter Jacobsen's design is beautifully carved into the desert topography, with a respect for its nature and sweeping, epic views of the mountains at practically every turn. The course staff could not have been more helpful in finding me the right time to take out my ten-year-old son for the first time on a full eighteen-hole course. As a longtime golfer, I can tell you most courses would shun anything that might disrupt the experience for 'serious' golfers. But Brasada went out of their way to make our round relaxed and welcoming.

As mentioned earlier, their "experience concierge" concept offers just about any off-resort activity you can imagine. We opted for horseback rides toward the end of our stay. After showing up for our appointed time, the stables manager told me there was an error and that they couldn't take us for a ride until the next day, only we were checking out the next day. With a profoundly sad look on the face of my thirteen-year-old daughter, we returned to the athletic center, where I was immediately greeted by the director, who apologized profusely and comped our rescheduled rides for the next morning. I was so impressed at the way the resort handled what could have been a truly ruinous moment for me and my daughter, that it only served to win us over further.

Finally, enough can't be said about the quality of the food in this high-desert oasis. We tried both their bistro-style casual restaurant, and the higher-end, foodie heaven, "Range." From simple comfort food (a mac and cheese that is to die for, and homemade smores desserts for kids around the lodge's fireplace) to complex dishes bursting with flavor, Brasada's culinary experience easily matches its urban counterparts on the west coast.

While Brasada is certainly not inexpensive, it is on the lower end of what you'd pay for a comparable resort in hawaii or phoenix, and a far better value. The Central Oregon sun burns just as bright, the air just as fresh and dry, the location feels remote but surprising accessible with the Redmond airport only ten miles away, to most major cities on the west coast).

It's hard to believe Brasada will remain such a best-kept secret for much longer. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for such a wonderful and detailed review of your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you expereince our entire Resort and the services we offer. We are so happy to hear that our team and amenities exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your recommedations and hope this "secret" gets out to everyone who comes to Central Oregon. We look forward to having you stay at our Resort again in the future.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Let me first say that had I written this review half way through the stay, Brasada would have been fortunate to break a three star. This is by any account a flawed property with huge potential. The best way to explain is to setting it out in point form.

First the good:

The property is immaculate. Our cabin was flawlessly clean and well cared for.

The restaurants, both Ranch House and Range are good...not great, more on this later.

The stocked fish ponds are nice

The pool is ok, not the spectacular masterpiece some on this thread have suggested. It is actually quite small for a resort of this size...more on that later...this is the "good" part.

The place is well...even over ...staffed. Mostly, they seemed bored. Often the staff to client ws be to one.

The Internet is very good...no problem making Skype calls.

The beds are very comfortable. The linens are good quality.

The bath products are nice...and local...although I usually hate using communal pots of soap, shampoo and conditioner. Note that you get none of the usual other resort touches in the bathroom.

The views from the common areas and some cabins are incredible.

The golf course looks great...don't golf so I don't know.

The driving range is located in the perfect location for the scenery.

Every staff member we met was very friendly.

The sound system in our cabin was superb as was all of the furniture.

The equestrian centre is devine and guides excellent.

The Spa and all of its employees are excellent too. The spa facilities are top notch.

The food service uses lots of local ingredients.

The fitness center was excellent, clean, big and well equipped.

Nice to have the whirlpool..but really guys... A three person hottub in a three bedroom, four bathroom cabin. More people could simultaneously use the bathroom than could the hot tub!

The bad:

This is no multi diamond resort. The staff is, with some exceptions, young, unsophisticated and untrained in proper client service.

You will not be met at your car.

No one will offer to help with your luggage.

You will not be shown your accommodations nor will anything in the cabins be explained.

Things may be broken and remain unserviced for the length of your stay despite repeated requests to have them addressed. In our case, the move from three to four stars in my review was premised on the belated but effective addressing of many of our initial complaints (after several failed attempts). Our toaster did not work, our kitchen sink dripped into the cabinetry, our toilet bowl leaked and our Internet died...which became a blessing because miracleman Rick came to fix it and he did so quickly. He also, having asked, heard the litany of other issues and addressed all of them...more later!

The pool has a current...not really a lazy river by any description. The current is quite strong in parts and every member of our family came away from our holiday with cuts and scrapes from the rough surface surrounding the current...none of us is below 14 years old...I would be very concerned for a younger child in that pool.

The pool area is really is very modest..those who report otherwise need to go out in the world a bit to see real resort pools. In my backyard it would be glorious...in a hotel...not so much.

There were two of the most bored lifeguards I have ever witnessed in constant attendance in the pool. They moved...well never...not even whe the bottom of the water slide was filled with people just missing the descending sliders.

When I am in a resort...I expect to have the front desk call me (at least) when something is dropped off with them for me....send a note, maybe even bring it to me. That did not happen...had I not known of the drop off, it would have been left there.

The adventure concierge, with one or two exceptions, are utterly useless and lack basic local knowledge. I tried to book a fishing trip. They suggested I do itmyself (!) and handed me a pamphlet. As it turns out it was our of date and had last years prices. I asked three times if the helicopter does land at the resort and was always told they'd check..they never did. We were told it had something to do with certification, but no one really knew and no one really checked. It was typical of the place...lots of smiles and no action.

Want a cart to rent...at the ridiculous price of $65 a day...no problem. They have only two of the eight working. The staff explained they were old and worn out. How about a quick fish in the pond at the outrageous price of $10 for two hours rental of a pole...sure...but the poles are all broken. Wanna check out the lure selection...there were three to choose from.

This is where Rick came in...all this BS with the staff having no informantion and nothing to rent you, he was able to fix....he, the man recently appointed head maintenance man....he gave us a cart from the golf club to use, found two functional poles and two lures, found not one but two toasters that worked AND fixed the Internet. You see we were also told there were no toasters left in inventory when twice we enquired.

The front desk staff was, as I said, very pleasant .... And clueless. No self respecting resort has such poorly trained unhelpful staff in such key options as front desk and concierge. It really detracts from the experience of luxury holidayers such as us. It DOES explain the very low prices for the cabins. I thought it was just the state of the US economy!

The food service is very amateurish. The staff ranged from one or two who had knowledge, through those who pretended to (we are kind of hard to fool when it comes to food and drink) to those with no pretensions to having any food knowledge whatsoever.

One morning literally half the menu was not available due to some slip up at the management level. I asked how often they changed the menu in Ranch House and was told it was about every six months. That's simply too long.

Range is much better, but the bartender there was another pretender...a neat drink means that...no ice, no ice crystals and don't argue with us when we tell you that. The food is very good, a bit too pretentious for the place and it's staff. Some of it was very fussy and contained unnecessary elements...things that added nothing to the presentation or the taste. They will improve I'm sure. Chef seems to be finding his feet.

Pool service? Nice theory, non existent in our multiple visits.

Maid service...we only realized it was periodic after we got there...the staff said "every three or four days" when we asked...this is not addressed on the website or in the material in the cabin. At $40 for every extra visit this is significant. When they did come, the beds were nicely done and we got new towels. Kitchen and bathrooms appeared untouched.

Resort fees: $30... For what? I don't recall seeing mention of this the website, but maybe it was there....and now you know. Vegas resort fees are $30 and you get services for that! At Brasada they charge for EVERYTHING!

Our main phone did not work..ever...it turns out these are VRBO not a real resort. The owner had apparently opted not to engage any phone services. The fact that you are staying in someone's house should be made clear before you book.

Views? Well maybe. We had a stellar view of two other cabins, the trees and the road. Beware and ask before you commit.

The drive..this place is miles from anywhere....but you knew that.

And the Ugly...

When you make a mistake on the bill, you admit it, you apologize and you fix it. You don't come up with the explanation that it is in the system and would have been caught....I don't even know what that means! We noticed a $300 plus double charge...no big deal. This was on our "final bill" seconds away from my visa being charged. This young lady tried to explain it away...this is what happens when you have kids running the place.

In the end....if you are prepared to accept flaws as detailed above, you might well like the place. Just don't be fooled by glowing reports of perfection. You need to know what you are in for and decide based on this information. Had this resort not been so reported upon as some flawless Nirvana, I would not have taken the time and care to fix that perception.

You are renting someone's cabin, being served by kids...for the most part ...and will receive amateurish if friendly service. You will see no changes in the menu and you might get a booboo in the pool. You will be offered virtually no service at or near your cabin, you will not be able to find anything to rent. You may or not get a wonderful view or any view at all.

Not my version of Nirvana, but I don't regret my time at the ranch at all...I would have been much more satisfied with the whole story online and in the reviews in advance. I would not want the complaints above to be taken as indicative of my overall satisfaction...which is why I assessed four stars. The detail is provided in anticipation of those who would suggest my concerns are baseless. I hope the record is corrected.

Room Tip: Make darn sure you get a room with a view. Depending on your preference, decide how close you spent...
6 Thank ChillyAlbertans
Thank you so much for your detailed review regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you found several favorable elements of the Resort yet of course truly sorry that we fell short of your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding services and amenities to every guest in every interaction. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with our entire team as part of our continuous development and education of our associates at Brasada Ranch. We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback and hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again in the future.
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

Brasaba is great but make no mistake. Hiedi and her great energy while taking great care of us poolside as well as the rest of the front line staff is what makes this place special. Without them its just another well appointed place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for the great comments about Heidi and our team. We couldn't agree with you more about how important it is to have the the right people providing outstanding service in every interaction. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and thoroughly appreciate your feedback. We will be sure to share this information with our entire team. Please come and see us again soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I really enjoyed our stay at Brasada this weekend. We went there for a cousin's wedding with the whole family and it was great fun for all. The cabins were clean and comfortable and well equiped. The pool was my favorite part, my mother in-law and I really had fun on the waterslide. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a little mix up with our trail ride but the staff imediately made up for it. Casey took us on the trail ride, she was friendly, talkative, and even let us trot a little. I would love to come back to this place and spend more time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Brasada Ranch. We thoroughly enjoy hosting our wedding groups and seeing families get together and engage in all the services and amenities we have to offer. We are proud to have such an amazing location for family gatherings. We are also glad to hear that everything worked out with the trail ride. Thank you very much for your feedback and we certainly hope you get more time with us on your next visit to Brasada Ranch.
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

Just ended a 3 night stay at one of the finest resorts in the country! A once in a lifetime experience which matches the beautiful setting of the Oregon high desert. If you want a truly unique experience this is the place. The service and food are top notch! The chef and his sommelier wife, Susan are "top chef and professional" who could compete with any metro area culinary experience, except that the service and the setting could never be replicated at this oasis in the high desert.

The staff goes out of the way to make the experience unique and special! Jack, the activities director, understands and embraces the idea of providing an utterly unique experience, with a clientiele that demands nothing less!

The resort does have a bit of an identity crisis in who it wants to serve, the time share golf members or the destination tourist. It is hard to have two masters with different needs, but if they have the desire to take it to a world class venue they need to figure this out, much more of a management issue than anything that the average guest would notice.

Go to Brasada, a spectacular experience awaits!

• Stayed July 2012
We are so appreciative of your great comments from your stay and for specifically identifying those who stood out from your experience with us. We will be sure to share this information with our entire team. Our goal is to cater to all Members and guests of Brasada Ranch in every interaction. We continue to add new services and amenities to our operation that appeal to every interest and taste to make us the premier destination in Central Oregon. We thank you for the great feedback and hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Powell Butte
#1 of 44 in Bend
Hampton Inn & Suites Bend
Best Western Plus Rama Inn
Comfort Suites Redmond Airport

Been to Brasada Ranch? Share your experiences!