“Nice Find”
Review of Hotel Prairie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prairie City
Hotel Prairie
Ranked #1 of 3 Prairie City B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Nice Find”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

There aren't many room choices around John Day so we were delighted that our overnight stay at the Historic Hotel Prairie City was so nice. It is a modest hotel, but our room worked well, and the spacious bathroom was recently redone. A refrigerator is available in the kitchen down the hall. The local establishments serve nice food, and everyone was friendly. We were pleasantly surprised by the freshness of the town. The locals really care about their town and community.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Hotel Prairie is the perfect spot to break up a long drive between Central and Eastern Oregon. Quaint town to have a meal, coffee or window shop. Everyone we met was friendly and enthusiastic. While the rooms may appear a bit Spartan, they are more than adequate for the overnight stay. The owners seem to have put a lot of passion into revitalizing the old building and are continuing to add more. I wish them good luck and look forward to passing their way again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christchurch
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed in July 2013. Quiet, clean and good sized rooms. The staff were very friendly. The kitchen area was great and nice to have access to a fridge to keep the wine and beer cold. It was really hot and there was a nice garden area out the back relax and have a quiet drink. Oxbow restaurant was good value. I would highly recommend this hotel - has been renovated to a very high standard.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kiwi10150
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A remodeled and re-enthused hotel.
Very reasonable prices.
Remodeled, updated rooms with in room bathroom.
Charm of the old place kept.
Friendly staff, very accommodating.
comfortable beds.
clean -- overall and in the rooms.
Good, soft, hot water.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms facing the hotel front pick up some traffic noise in the morning, but also get a gre...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed Hotel Prairie, which is located in a beautifully restored building providing excellent comfort and service in eastern Oregon. Our room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was efficient, with nice amenities, good towels and great hot water. Free wi-fi signal was excellent. There does not appear to be much going on in this little town by way of entertainment, but we had a very nice dinner at the Oxbow Restaurant and Salon (next door to the hotel), and an excellent breakfast at Chuck’s Little Diner (one door further down). In both establishments, we enjoyed interesting conversation with the owners, their staffs, and the local residents who are very proud of their town and its history. We intend to return to the area next year and will definitely stay here again. TIP: Be sure to visit John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, specifically the Painted Hills Unit, the Sheep Rock Unit and the Historic Cant Ranch. Amazing!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Carlton, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Hotel Prairie. We like places that have atmosphere and this old hotel has that. The room was very small but had a comfortable queen bed, with a roomy private bath. More could be done as far as decor, but was still nice. The lobby is particularly well done, with a spectacular pressed tin ceiling. You need to ask for the use of a hair dryer and extra pillows when you check in. They should tell you about the area with microwave, refrigerator and dishes when one checks in, as we didn't discover those amenities till our second day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Firstly, I shall apologise for not having submitted this review sooner. But I figure that 'late' is better than 'never', so here goes....

Last year (September 2012) I left the grey (English spelling there, folks) and drizzly shores of my homeland and embarked upon a six week, 4,500 mile, bicycle trek across across the US. Before I left I called my bank and informed them that I would be in the States, and that I would be using my debit/credit cards whilst there. Having been assured that my cards wouldn't be stopped it came as a shock - albeit not a huge shock because my bank ALWAYS does this to me - that my cards stopped working. Add into the equation that I had lost my cell phone a couple of days before, the scarcity of public phones AND that it's seemingly impossible to make international calls (I couldn't find a phone calling card en route) I was stuck with approximately 87 cents in my pocket, impending darkness and nowhere to stay

And then guardian angels that are the staff at this little hotel descended and rescued me from my plight...

My dishevelled and vaguely lost English appearance drew sympathy from the manager, who kindly offered me a room for the night on two conditions - that I called back and paid when I have resolved the issue with my bank, and that I left a review on Trip Advisor. Well, I can say that I have now discharged both of those requirements...

The exterior of the hotel disguises the charm of what you'll find inside. I loved the lounge area with its comfortable leather chairs, the lamps and dark wood furniture. I could have quite happily stayed (a cat would be excellent addition to this lounge). As for the room, I got a double with a bathroom across the hall, although I am really not complaining at that all!!! The room was warm, comfortable and exactly what I needed. I was clean for the first time in a week!!

You know, I can just summarise by saying that sometimes you find the right place and the right people at the right time. I was lucky to find you guys. Thank you

Oh, and just to let you know, I made it to Yorktown VA on 29th October, just as the bottom end of Hurricane Sandy was hitting. It was not a pleasant last few hours!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you take money with you!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Been to Hotel Prairie? Share your experiences!