“Fantastic Gem near Crater Lake”

Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House
Ranked #1 of 1 Prospect B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 May 2008

My husband and I only stayed one night, and sadly it was just in one of the motel rooms, but we will for sure go back and stay longer. Fred was super helpful and gracious when we checked in, our room was clean and comfortable, and the surroundings were beautiful. He offered us a tour of the historic building which we will stay in the next time we visit Crater Lake.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House

Reviewed 1 March 2008

Prospect Historical Motel (Zane Gray Room in the B&B)

This was such a special place, and the perfect start to our Crater Lake area visit. From the drive to Prospect to the minute we walked in the door, we anticipated this would be a really unique place to stay. I just got a great sense of history about the place, and enjoyed imagining all the guests of years past having a wonderful experience, too. They gave us a little map of the town, with a few short walks to see little waterfalls and volcanic deposits. Try to get here by late afternoon (3-4 p.m.) so you can do some of these things in an unrushed manner. Our room was a little small for 2 people, but it really didn’t bother us; we spent plenty of time out on the porch. We really enjoyed our dinner (which we reserved and paid extra for)—I think there must be something for everyone on the menu, whether you’re traditional and like your meat and potatoes, or whether you want a salad with real dark greens. Breakfast was really amazing too: for us it was fresh fruit and some of the most delicious banana walnut pancakes we’ve had. Highly recommend

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Midwestcouple
Reviewed 29 September 2007

This was a beautiful historical hotel. The dinner was great. The waterfalls were beautiful. I can't wait to go back during the Winter to see the snow. I also would love to go back during the Spring when all the snow is melting.

We stayed in two motel rooms and they were nice. The staff were very nice.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank gumeber
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Stayed here for two nights while visiting Crater Lake. Choices are limited in this area and another motel that was full recommended the Prospect Historic Hotel. We stayed in a motel unit with a queen size bed.

Not sure was to expect, but room was clean - but small. Had large bathroom counter area which was great for spreading out stuff. There is also a 2 cubic foot refrigerator and microwave in room. The bed was firm, but this I can deal with. Motel sits behind hotel which provides extra privacy, but there isn't a lot of traffic or noise in Prospect, OR.

Upon checking in, the desk staff was helpful and provided information on local easy hikes and waterfalls in the immediate area. Although there is a dining room in the hotel, we were given a recommendation to a diner a few doors down.

Minor aggravation is having to go to the hotel to get ice and ice bucket.

Positive, lovely large porch around the hotel is great for sitting and reading or planning the next day's activities.

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 3 September 2007

The only place in Prospect. We couldn't get a room at the Crater Lake Lodge, so we stayed here, about 20 minutes outside of Crater Lake National Park. Prospect is a lovely area, with some beautiful waterfalls within walking distance of the hotel. But not much to do here aside from that. We stayed in the motel portion (rather than in the main house/B&B). The room furnishings were a little worn (it's historic!) and I found the bed to not be firm enough. But overall, a good value and beautiful location. We had dinner at the hotel, which was very good but nothing special. Instead of breakfast at the hotel, we got on the road in the morning for Crater Lake and stopped at Becky's Cafe in the next town up the road, which was pretty good.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MonthlyTraveler
Reviewed 13 August 2007

We stayed in a family suite in the motel - a queen-size bed and a separate room with two twins. My wife was disappointed we weren't in the historic hotel. The kids (15 and 11) enjoyed having their own beds, although all the beds were a bit too stiff. Nearby Mill Creek offered a nice, relaxing audio background for sleeping. The dinner was good, and we would have enjoyed trying the breakfast, but breakfast is only served by default to hotel guests; motel guests can make reservations at least a day in advance (we didn't learn about this until it was too late).

The high point for me was the early morning short hike that was suggested by one of the staff at the hotel - Pearsony Falls and Avenue of the Boulders. Since Crater Lake was closed in the morning -for a marathon - the rest of the family enjoyed sleeping in, while I enjoyed taking in the beauty of some paths less traveled. I also enjoyed having the front porch to myself afterward, so I could check email while having some coffee (coffee was available only until 11, my wife was disappointed to find out).

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank VeniVidiScripsi
Reviewed 12 August 2007

This is a lovely place to stay if you are in the Crater Lake area. I stayed in the motel section rather than the hotel itself. My room was very clean and comfortable. I also had dinner at the dinner house and my meal was very good.
I arrived at about 1pm and check -in was not until 3 pm. I was somewhat disappointed that the lady at the reception desk didn't appear to even check to see if a room might be ready. So I drove up the road 10 miles to Union Creek and had lunch and then found a couple of waterfalls and other scenic areas to explore.

My experience in making the reservation along with subsequent phone calls for information was without problem and the person I spoke with on those occasions was most pleasant. I also had a delicious wine with dinner and the server was most helpful in finding information on the winery for me.

I would recommend this hotel but don't arrive before check in

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prospect
Edgewater Inn
#1 of 4 in Prospect
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 in Crater Lake National Park

Been to Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House? Share your experiences!