“Great location, so-so accomodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Union Creek Resort

Union Creek Resort
Spencer, Massachusetts, United States
“Great location, so-so accomodations”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights during a cross-country road trip. Since we were there to hike and fish, we barely spent any time in the cabin. Beautiful area, close to hiking trails and Rogue river, and a short drive to Crater Lake. The restaurant on site (Beckie's) was really good. My only complaints involve the cabin itself--something smelled bad right when we entered and I thought for sure there was garbage left forgotten in the kitchen area, but no. The smell seemed to be coming from a decrepit old heating(?) unit (not in use at the time, since it was July.) The next day we left at 1pm for a hike and were gone for 6 hours (and when we left they were still cleaning the cabins, and I put the "maid service please" sign on the door). When we got back around 7 our cabin had not been touched. That was disappointing. I don't know if that happens often or if it was just a fluke. I should have mentioned the gross smell to the staff but I didn't, hopefully they will notice it themselves. On the plus side, most camping cabins have bare mattresses and you are expected to bring sleeping bags or your own linens, but these had real sheets and blankets which was a nice surprise.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa D
Ferrell25, Owner at Union Creek Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Melissa – we are so sorry that your cabin stay was not the best. We apologize for the heater odor and are looking into it. We made an honest mistake by not cleaning your room as requested and it is not our typical policy or business practice – our goal is to provide clean, comfortable cabins and rooms in a historic, rustic setting. We know that it must have been frustrating to come back to your cabin and find it not cleaned, and again, we are sorry for the mistake.

Thank you for your honest feedback and we are happy that you enjoyed the area and Beckie’s Café!

—Kent & Sandy Watson, Union Creek Resort owners

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2014

There are cabinates at the Union Creek that look nice, but that one that we were put into was dusty. We even got bit by something. It was disappointing as the rooms looked really nice on the website. Switching rooms isn't possible as other rooms are full and if we were to cancel the room and find another clean hotel, they would make us pay the full price of the room.

Room Tip: Only choose the newer cabins. Call and confirm.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Ferrell25, Owner at Union Creek Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
KaePow,
We are sorry that you had a bad stay at Union Creek Resort. Yes, there are differences in our cabins as we have renovated many of them and are in the process of doing more. The ones that haven’t been renovated yet should still be clean and comfortable, and we are sorry that yours was dusty. All of the photos on our website are accurate with each cabin and room having its own page.

Again, we are sorry for your negative time here. It’s always our goal that our guests have a wonderful stay.

—Kent & Sandy Watson, Union Creek Resort owners

Travellers are raving about these Prospect hotels

London UK
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Union Creek. There is something very comforting about a wooden cabin with wooden interior. The bed was comfortable and it had good facilities for a simple cabin. The staff were very helpful. In particular, they mailed on a phone charger I forgot to NM and then, when it returned due to my addressing error, sent it home to England.

Room Tip: I think they are all similar but 3 is good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ferrell25, Owner at Union Creek Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Your review is “delightful” as well and we really appreciate the nice feedback. We agree that a wood cabin and interior is comforting, and also nostalgic!

Lodi, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I made lodging reservations for 3 days with the reservations clerk. After the the receptionist repeated the dates I correct her and said she had left off a day and she corrected herself and stated it was was corrected. Three days later I read the confirmation email and noted the dates were a day short. I called immediately and informed the room was not available. I asked if there was an equivalent room available. The answer was no, but they did have a higher rate room (for a large party). I stated I would rather cancel my reservations. I promptly received an email confirming my cancellation (there was no mention on the phone or in the email of any charges). When I receive my credit card statement and noted a $35.00 charge. I immediately Union Creek and inquired about the charge. I was informed it was for cancelling my reservations. I reminded the same person that made my reservations that I had double verified my dates with her and only cancelled immediately after receiving my confirmation and only after checking if an additional day in a equivalent rate room was available. I was told she needed to talk to her owner or supervisor. The answer was they would not return my $35.00. I reminded them I only cancelled because of an error on their account and gave them an opportunity to correct my reservations. I asked to speak the manager who she said was unavailable. I then asked to talk to the owner who was also not there. I asked if they could call me back. I was not given an answer. I acted in good faith supplying my credit card for reservation that I confirmed twice on the phone and was told they were confirmed. I immediately notified them about wrong reservations. This speaks loads to their business integrity and strange since there are plenty of other great places to stay in the area which I will patronize instead.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SSN594
Ferrell25, Owner at Union Creek Resort, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
We apologize for how you were treated and hope that we have rectified the situation with you offline. We work hard every day and do not utilize bad business practices. We are truly sorry and hope your feelings for Union Creek have not been tarnished too much because of this situation.

Cambridge
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I am basing my review on the fact that you know this is a log cabin lodge and not a 5 star hotel. However it still gets 4 stars for doing the job well. The resort is a selection of cabins and lodging rooms. We stayed in room 8 so I can't comment on the cabins.

Our room was a nice size and had a huge bed in it which was very comfortable. There was also a fridge and microwave for convenience. There is a sink in the room but you have to share a bathroom. The bathroom was kept clean and well stocked but personally I don't think there was enough showers for the guests available. (One men's and one women's bathroom). It would be convenient to have separate toilets so if someone is having a long shower you can still use the facilities!

The restaurant and ice cream shop were nice and handy to save having to drive out, and the shop was well stocked with lots of essentials and treats too!

My advice would be to wear mosquito repellant as we sat outside watching the river and I got badly bitten (stupid tourist!). Take a walk down the road to the river (just along from the ice cream shop). It's amazing how fast it flows and has carved through the rocks.

The lodge is about 40 mins from Crater lake but it's an easy drive and a good place to base yourself. So if you need accommodation around that area then I would certainly recommend Union Creek.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scarlet-Poppy
Scarlet-Poppy,
Thank you for the great review, and you are absolutely correct – we are not a 5-star hotel, but instead a rustic, historic inn which we have renovated to be clean, comfortable, and still quaint and charming. Room 8 is one of our guest favorites for the lodge and it was recently renovated, along with the rest of the lodge rooms.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Caldwell, Idaho
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed in cabin 6 on our way home from a 3 week vacation to the Redwoods. We loved the cabin, It had been recently remodeled, complete with a very comfortable king sized bed. The bathroom was so nice, with a huge walk in tiled shower. We loved the restroom. The cabin was very clean and it even smelled clean when we walked in the door. We appreciated the air conditioning unit in the window, and it kept the cabin nice and cool.

The location was just beautiful, in a forested area. The only downside was that there wasn't a fire pit designated for the cabin, There was a community type fire pit in the shared lawn area. We had hoped to have a fire just for for us

We had stayed in cabin 21 on our way to the coast, and it was a cute cabin but not nearly as nice as cabin 6. The restroom was the main issue. It was very small, and it was difficult to sit on the toilet and be able to close the door. It did have the advantage to have a very private setting none the less. A lovely stream ran just outside the door, and it did have a private fire ring.

I would recommend the cabins to anyone who appreciates nature and accommodations that are rustic, but comfortable.

Room Tip: Check to find out which cabins have been remodeled.
Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvia S
Sylvia,
We are proud to be the best stay of your 3-week trip! Thank you for staying with us and for your great feedback. Cabin 6 is one of our showcase cabins and, as you said, was completely renovated this year. Our goal is to continue renovating each of the cabins the same way. Yes, cabin 21 is small (we like to call it “intimate”) but also one of our most popular right next to Union Creek. You bring up a good point to check to see which ones have been remodeled!

Beaverton
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great place to stay with out the difficulty of camping. You can enjoy the outdoors and come back to make a fire pit make some s'mores enjoy nature get away from electronics. You can grill or cook inside your cabin well depends what cabin we stayed in Cabin 11 had all we needed you come prepared with food!!

• Stayed June 2014
Ferrell25, Owner at Union Creek Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Yes, much better than camping! We’re happy you had a great time and enjoyed the experience, especially the outdoor play. Thanks for your stay and we hope to see you again soon!

—Kent & Sandy Watson, Union Creek Resort owners
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prospect
Crater Lake Lodge
Crater Lake Lodge
#1 of 1 in Crater Lake National Park
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
Shelter Cove Resort & Marina
#1 of 3 in Crescent Lake
Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House

Been to Union Creek Resort? Share your experiences!