“A worthwhile visit”

Petersen Rock Garden and Museum
Ranked #4 of 26 things to do in Redmond
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We are locals for the past 7 years here in central Oregon and have been seeing signs for this Rock Garden for awhile. The local newspaper did a feature article that piqued our interest. Finally we had some guests and decided to check it out. It was a fun stop. It certainly is in some need of repair but with its recent elevation to one of the National Register of Historic Places, one hopes this will be maintained for the future guests. Definitely worth a stop here.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a fascinating place. Thousands of rocks (large and small) have been stacked and mortared together to make a dozen intricate small scale "rock buildings" or villages. There is at least one 6 ft high rendition of Independence Hall that even has small glass windows. There is one castle with a moat and cylindrical towers at the corners. The largest feature is an island with a number of buildings (including a lighthouse with a 4-inch high "person" standing on the circular walkway at the top of the lighthouse.) The island is connected to two "mainland areas" by bridges made of small stones. Someone has spent a great deal of time and money creating the "rock art" -- It may have even taken generations. There is no charge for admission, but a donation of $5 is requested for adults. Even though the museum was not open the day we were there, we had a valuable experience. Much of the stone does not appear to be native to the region, which heightens the interest. Not sophisticated, but very worthwhile!

4  Thank 367Jerry
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Built with loving care using a wide variety of local rocks and minerals such as agates, obsidians and volcanic stone. Showing some signs of a need for restoration however worth a visit and the contribution to restoring the garden.

2  Thank Carolyn B
Reviewed 8 September 2013

If you have kids who like to touch, explore, and run towards something that catches their attention, don't bring them here!!! A guy there just threatened to call the Police on me for my kids running after the birds! My kids are 5 and 2 1/2, so the chances of them actually catching or harming a peacock are pretty slim! I will not be going back there, with or without my kids!!! And now my 5 year old is freaking out, thinking the cops are going to arrest him!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have lived in Bend for nearly ten years and we had never visited Peterson Rock Museum, but on a recent trip to Solar Schilling Nursery (which by the way is a fun stop) we decided to stop by and check it out.
It was sad looking and poorly kept. There is a sign at the entrance to the driveway which lets visitors know that there is a $5 fee per person to get out and walk around. We drove through the parking lot and decided that $15 was too much to look at the rock buildings. The grounds were in poor repair. Weeds and debris all around. The pond was full of debris and did not
I think that at one time it was probably a pretty cool place. Sad to see it run down. I can't recommend it as a destination attraction- but if you are in the area and don't mind paying a lot for not much then maybe...

2  Thank KariSueBend_Oregon