“Amazing but frustrating but was too tired to care”

The Lodge at Eagle Crest
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Redmond
Marshall, Minnesota, United States
“Amazing but frustrating but was too tired to care”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I stayed there on September 7th. We left Yellowstone National Park, WY around 8:30am and didn't arrive at The Lodge at Eagle Crest 700+ miles later until 9:30pm. We found the checkin easily and were delighted to excellent front desk service. We didn't have anything to eat for supper, so the front desk gentleman was very kind to give us instructions to the restaurant at the resort and to call ahead to ensure they were open for our stay. We arrived at our room shortly before 10:00. As soon as we opened the door, we were greated by 2 bar stools along the kitchen counter which surprised us as we had reserved a handicap accessible room which typically has few obstacles. After I moved the bar stools so that my wife in her wheelchair could get into the room easier, we quickly learned that our room was not handicap accessible. However, the room was gorgeous - large kitchen, huge living area, amazing bathroom with a glass shower door and bowl sinks and a huge king bed...we felt like royalty! Still, if we were being treated to an amazing room, I wanted to ensure that the front desk was correct. I went back to the front desk, which by now is after 10:00pm, and spoke with another front desk representative. My conversation with her was a bit frustrating. She enthusiasticly explained that the room was correct and was an upgrade since we are Priority Club members. I explained to her that we needed a handicap accessible room though. She said that we weren't being charged extra for the room but offered to change rooms for us. She seemed a bit surprised by my lack of enthusiasm over a large room. After a long day on the road, I was just ready to sleep so we kept our room. In the end, the room worked fine, but it would have been even better if we received the type of room that we had reserved. If a smoker want to smoke, they should get a smoking room. If a family need multiple beds, they should get multiple beds. If a person who has limited abilities needs a handicap accessible room, they should get a handicap accessible room. An amazing room can't replace what a person needs and wants. Anyways, and in addition, my wife and I didn't have enough energy to stay up late to wait for the resort restaurant, so I asked the front desk representative if they had a Cupboard (Candlewood Suites - also a Holiday Inn chain) area to grab something to eat. She said no but gave directions to their vending machine. Based on my understanding, they only had 1 vending machine which seemed surprising for such a large resort. I found the vending machine, but it was very small and didn't contain anything too appetizing. After bringing our things into our room, it is now around 10:30. My wife and I grazed on some chips and licorice for supper that we brought along on our trip and then passed out in our king-sized bed. All and all, we greatly enjoyed our stay but were also too tired to care about the frustrations along the way.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Geoff R, General Manager at The Lodge at Eagle Crest, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you for visiting Eagle Crest Resort and taking the time to complete a trip advisor review. While we were pleased to learn that you greatly enjoyed your stay we were concerned that you became frustrated over some aspects of your visit. I apologize for not providing you and your wife with the room type you had reserved. In our efforts to upgrade you to our highest level of accommodations as a result of your IHG Club Rewards status we overlooked your need for handicapped access. This obviously should not have occurred and we will be reviewing our upgrade procedures with our Front Desk team to avoid potential similar occurrences in the future. We were sorry to learn that you elected not to visit our on site restaurant which I believe would have offered you a superior experience to the vending machine option you chose. We do have “grab and go” menu items available 24 hours in our lobby restaurant and if this information was not shared with you I apologize again for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the great comments on our guest room and the Front Desk service you received. I hope these positive experiences will encourage your return to Eagle Crest.
Geoff Roemelt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I wanted to add an update from a previous review I made on the Eagle Crest Resort, (Bug Problem??"). I had mentioned previously during the summer of '12 when I had visited the resort, there was an overwhelming mosquito problem. The general manager had replied after my review stating these were isolated incidents and the bugs were particularly bad that summer. After spending another week at the resort in June of this year (2013), I can say the he was right- hardly any mosquitoes compared to the previous year.

The resort is amazing. There are plenty of activities available to keep everyone in the family busy. After 3pm, you can bring a junior golfer along for free. You will just have to pay for the cart fee. FYI, you can get discounted rates to the Resort Course at golfnow.com.

Of our 2-3 family vacations during the summer, Bend/ Redmond has become a staple. Dependable weather, friendly people, excellent golf courses, good food, good beer and so many things to do outside there really won't be anyway to fit it all in one week.

Thanks for another amazing week. See you in 2014!

Room Tip: If you are able to travel last minute, you can get some amazing deals from people wanting to unload...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Geoff R, General Manager at The Lodge at Eagle Crest, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thanks for the review update from your visit to Eagle Crest last year and for the positive feedback during your vacation this season. We were pleased but not surprised to learn that insects did not disturb your visit this year and we believe this will remain true for the future. Thanks for the feedback on our Junior Golfer Program, glad you were able to take advantage of this great deal. We look forward to welcoming you back to our amazing resort next year and hope that you will visit us during our fall/winter season as well.

California
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Booked through Internet. It's a lovely place but a ways from town where we were meeting our grandson for dinner. Room was exceptional, with a fridge but no microwave. Good in-room coffee. We only slept here without using the restaurant or any of the available resort activities. Families with school age and above children would love this place! It was quiet, and some rooms had good views, but since we booked through an online booking agency, we had a parking lot view. No matter, we enjoyed our lovely room.

• Stayed September 2013
Geoff R, General Manager at The Lodge at Eagle Crest, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thanks for the review, were are glad you had a positive experience and found the lodge ideal for families. All of our guest rooms have refrigerators and our king suites include microwaves as well. We are located 5 miles from Redmond, a 10 minute drive. Many of our rooms and suites have golf course views with either balconies or patios. Thanks again for your feedback we hope you return soon.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I loved this resort! We stayed at the lodge and was pleased with the service and friendliness of the staff. Well maintained, clean and very comfortable. We could even bring our dogs (which we did of course!). The best part of my stay was taking a five mile hike, leaving from my room at the lodge, along the Deschutes River and next to one of the golf courses; then coming back to enjoy some r&r beside the pool. Can't wait to go back! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We have two medium size dogs we brought, so they put us on the lower level which was a great locatio...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Geoff R, General Manager at The Lodge at Eagle Crest, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor review and highly recommending Eagle Crest Resort. Your comments regarding service and staff friendliness are appreciated along with your reference to cleanliness and comfort levels. Great to know that you were able to include your dog in your travel plans as well. The hike along the Deschutes River is both unique and convenient for resort visitors and we are happy to know that you enjoyed it. Hope to welcome you back to Eagle Crest soon.
Denver
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

This is a pet friendly hotel with very thin walls so be prepared to hear barks and all sorts of noises. In addition, my first non smoking room that they gave me reeked of cigarette smoke. When I asked about it, I was told since people smoke on their balconies, then the rooms themselves can smell like smoke too. To me, the strong smoke smell in a room negates the nonsmoking label. Anyway, the second room was better. Only slightly smokey sometimes which depended on who was smoking outside my room, I guess.
The room itself was basic but clean and bathroom was nicely decorated .

• Stayed September 2013
Geoff R, General Manager at The Lodge at Eagle Crest, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Eagle Crest and for taking the time to complete a trip advisor review. Thanks for the positive comments on our guest room cleanliness and the bathroom décor. The Lodge at Eagle Crest is a non-smoking building. Smoking is not permitted in the guestrooms or the balconies. Smoking is only permitted outside the building in designated areas. Unfortunately there are some individuals that choose not to abide by this policy despite our efforts to communicate and ensure compliance. I apologize that our staff did not do a better job in eliminating the smoke smell you encountered in your guestroom. We will review your concerns with our housekeeping team in an effort to improve our performance in the future. Thanks again for the feedback. Please contact me if I can be of further service.
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We spent two nights here and would have extended our stay but they were booked up. There was so much to do we didn't get to spend as much time relaxing by the pool as I would have liked. The rooms have been nicely updated, we especially liked the bathroom, really well done. The beds were too hard for my comfort but that is my biggest complaint. I would have loved a golf course view rather than the parking lot but we weren't in the room enough to have it bother us. We appreciated the DVD player, you rarely get one of those in a hotel. The only thing I really didn't like was that every time I called to make a reservation for something (trail ride, fly fishing lessons, etc.) the person on the phone would ask what room you were staying in and when you gave them your room number there would be a little pause and they would say "oh, you're staying in the hotel" in this tone that made me feel like a second class citizen. Most of the resort is made up of vacation homes and condos. As a hotel guest you have access to all the amenities like several lovely pools, fitness facilities, tennis courts and classes. It is such a nice variety I think most families and couples could happily spend as much as a week doing things together or separately.

Room Tip: a golf course view would be preferable if you are going to spend much time in the room, otherwise yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for the trip advisor review. It was great to learn that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the many activities available at Eagle Crest. We regret that we were unable to extend your stay due to the limited guest room availability as a result of high customer demand. Thanks for the feedback on our recently renovated guest rooms and your positive impressions. Sorry if you felt our concierge was not responsive to your reservation requests. I can assure you that all guests of Eagle Crest Resort are extremely important to us and that we place a high emphasis on ensuring lodge guests are provided outstanding service. Thanks again for your comments if I can be of further assistance please contact me.
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Booked this site many times mainly for business conferences. Rooms are spacious, clean, have a nice kitchen and sitting area w fireplace. Quiet and comfortable. Conference center is great for smaller groups. Affordable and good food. They need to improve their WiFi service with BendBroadband who I know could make this necessary aspect better for business and guests. A great place for golf w two courses, biking, running, etc. Love this central Oregon locale.

• Stayed April 2013
Geoff R, General Manager at The Lodge at Eagle Crest, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Thanks for the positive comments and feedback regarding your experiences at Eagle Crest. It’s great to know that you have held many small conferences here and that the facilities, food and service met your expectations. In regards to our internet access throughout the resort, we have recently upgraded the speed and capacity of this system and are utilizing Bend Broadband for this service. We were glad that you found our guest rooms to be spacious, clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed the many activities available at Eagle Crest. We hope to continue to be your preferred resort in Central Oregon and look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Geoff Roemelt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redmond
Comfort Suites Redmond Airport
Five Pine Lodge & Spa
#1 of 4 in Sisters
Sleep Inn & Suites Redmond
Best Western Ponderosa Lodge

Been to The Lodge at Eagle Crest? Share your experiences!