“Needs Some Sprucing Up”
Review of The Getaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockaway Beach
The Getaway
Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

Positives You're on the beach, and with a view of the water. The units are full apartments, so you have a full kitchen. And you're close to all of Rockaway eateries too.

Negatives: Our room neeed some major sprucing up. All the  doors, including the front door, had paint peeling away. Interior had a musty, foul odor coming from the carpet in the living room. It hits you the moment you walk in. The sofa was threadbare in places and had stains the size of a basketball. Cabinets, which had been painted in the past, looked dirty and were blackened in areas from heavy use. The drawers in the kitchen looked filthy and decrepit -- no way I'd touch any of the silverware. All of the windows were dirty and could have used a simple cleaning. While we had a view of the beach, our very large window offered us no privacy since it faced the room walkway -- all the rooms do. So as people come and go from their rooms, everybody is must pass by each room and is offered a clear view nto your  room, so there's no real privacy unless you drawer your blinds.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank JimAngelo
Carolyn S, Manager at The Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2015

Hello, my name is Carolyn Steele. Richard and I took over managing The Getaway last November and I'm happy to say that things have improved significantly. We've spent a lot of time hiring competent staff, training them and holding them to a much higher standard than The Getaway's had. We've done a lot of sprucing up and have asked owners to spend some time and money sprucing up their individual units too. We would love the opportunity to have you as a guest again and we'd love for you to post some new pictures!
Please give us another try.
Thanks.
Carolyn

There are newer reviews for The Getaway

Reviewed 16 June 2012

It was ok. Stayed in room 1. The idea of this place was to have a kitchen and cheap sleeping area while we spent our day exploring. Two children with us, five and three. Place had plenty of room, the kids loved it. I rate the place as adverage. Sign of the bill board looking for house cleaner. It showed. Plenty of dog hair and sand to go around and we didn't have a dog and hadn't got our feet in the sand. We questioned ourselves if the sheets were cleaned; wrinkled and had some hairs on them Kitchen was great, used it often. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank cjsan2c
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have been staying at the Getaway for years. We have always had great experiences. I still love the distance to the beach, the cute rooms and the affordable prices but something has been bothering me since our last visit.
We had a great room with more than enough space and an awesome view of the Ocean but I was a little disturbed that one of the pillow cases in one of the rooms had dog hair on it an was dirty. When we got there the room wasn't ready so we waited in the car. I watched a lady(cleaning lady perhaps?) leave our room with her dog and tell us that it was ready for us. I don't expect a spic and span room but I would like to think the bedding is clean.
That wasn't even the worst of the trip though. The rental office of this place smelled very bad. It smelled like a pet had been using the floor of the adjoining room as a bathroom. It was so strong and awful smelling I had to wait outside for my mother to pay for her room. This alone made me question the cleanliness of the room we were staying in. I have never noticed this smell in the office before but it bothered me quite a bit. I would still recommend this place to my friends but I really think the owners should do something about that smell. It's just not very welcoming when you check it.

Room Tip: Anything on a top floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Dawn G
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We've stayed at the Getaway on a couple of trips and are always pleased. It's not fancy, but it's right on the beach and the price is right. The staff is very friendly and helpful and we find it a nice change from Cannon Beach and their high prices.
This is our preferred place on the northern Oregon coast.

Room Tip: The second floor units are a must to have that ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We just got home from a 5 night stay. The biggest plus, is that the price is right. Cannon Beach is outpricing themselves for families so we are starting to look elseswhere. No, it isn't the Ritz, but when you go to the beach, you live like the coast dwellers do. A little bit of sand or not perfectly cleaned corners aren't going to hurt you. All rooms are individually decorated and very cute.

Check in was very friendly and all of the things offered (crab pots, sand toys, etc.) were explained. They won't come into your room unless you want them to. If you need towels, put dirty ones in the basket and place outside your door. Within 5 minutes, we had fresh towels and another roll of TP. The managers were very friendly and always took time to chat if they saw you outside.

The kitchen was large and well stocked with utensils, cups, plates, bowls, pans, and anything else you would need. Actually I've never seen a kitchen stocked so well. The bathroom was large too with plenty of storage space. The owners of the room had just put in a new flat screen TV with built in dvd player which was nice because we had brought a movie from home.

Overall the place was very quiet and when we went to bed at 10:00 there was no noise at all.

I had a few issues but were mostly inconveniences. There is no electrical outlet in the bathroom. There is one up by the light fixture but I'm not sure if I would trust it and couldn't reach it anyway. So every morning I had to go to the kitchen and blow-dry my hair. Also I think the bathroom should have a heater and exhaust fan. Mornings can be cool on the coast and cold bathrooms with heavy shower steam make the entire unit very moist feeling.

But overall we really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate staying there again, with the beach only a few steps away!!

Room Tip: Bring a small space heater for bathrooms (our unit anyway #3)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Recently stayed in room 10. It's the best view in the place. The room was just average to me, course I think the price relects that. I thought the room was very affordable.

First thing I noticed when I walked in was the "old" smell. It's not bad, not good, just "is". It smells like walking into your old Aunt's house or an old book store.

I wanted close access to the beach and I got it. I could be "feet in sand" within 2-3 minutes from the room.

The managers were very nice. I asked for a fan and they didn't have any left so they gave me theirs. They helped with a few things for a campfire.

In short, I would return to this hotel but be mindful, it's nothing luxurious, just "is".

Hope this helps.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I recently stayed at the Getaway in room #9. The room had a nice ocean view, a living room, kitchen, and bedroom w a king size bed. It is a cozy motel w just 13 rooms, each are individually owned. It was clear within moments of checking in that things are not being maintaned.. Hand prints on the walls, animal smell, dirty drawers in the kitchen and a toilet that ran the entire 2 day stay. While doing dishes the guest below came up and said water was coming in to their unit, we discovered under the sink a leaking faucet, a bucket, and an odar that told the leak had been going on for quite some time. We reported the leak and were advised someone would come fix it... No on came. I'm not a neat freak by any means but this place left me feeling dirty.

• Stayed: August 2011
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
#3 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to The Getaway? Share your experiences!