“Affordable...Family & Pet Friendly”
Review of The Getaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockaway Beach
The Getaway
Salkum, Washington
“Affordable...Family & Pet Friendly”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Getaway Oceanfront Lodging is a great place to stay. The condos are individually owned but managed right there on site.
We had a oceanfront 2 bedroom, one bath #13. The kitchen is a little small and not fully equipped (slotted spoon--no tinfoil, bags, wrap etc, no disinfectant wipes--vacuum--throw blanket--no extra beach stuff). This is not a big deal, just make sure you bring the things you know you want to use, or make a list and get them at the local store like we did.

Clean, okay beds. No closet in one bedroom, but had a tall stack of drawers about 15 inch wide and 4 feet tall. Has a big hall closet you can use, so plenty of space. Has a hair dryer, broom and dust pan, micro, coffee maker, 4 slice toaster, no ice maker but has ice cube trays, leather couch, big table and FABULOUS VIEW!!!! If you want to BBQ make sure to ask the manager and he will get you one. Very helpful and friendly people!

Patio doors off the kitchen to a nice covered deck. It also has a little gate at one end so keeping the kids and the pets in was easy. This also made it easy to come in from the beach, take off the wet or sandy stuff and dry off before going inside.

It is older facility with a few quirks but it is well worth the price and great for family and pets.
What I noticed was how hard the manager worked! He was landscaping, painting, doing laundry, helping any guests with needs....was up late finishing the laundry....hard worker and is doing his best to take care of all the little things that he sees needs TLC. It shows and is why I highly recommend this place. All places at the beach need continual work and this manager is doing what is needed and I believe he will have this place looking better and functioning better everyday he is there. Great Job!!

We would stay here again if it is available. Two nights, $302...great price! So rent early if you want to stay here...it was full!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chatterbox1963

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We have stayed here twice, once last year on Fathers Day weekend and this year 5 days over Easter weekend. The first time we stayed in unit 8, one bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the front room. It was small and a little run down but hey we're at the beach with kids and a dog. The kitchen had everything we needed if we wanted to cook there and the place was clean. Unit 8 doesn't have the best view but the Getaway has great beach access. The second time we stayed we were in unit 11. This unit has a view from the kitchen and living room area that is great. The unit has been updated, the bathroom was pretty small but workable. The sleeper sofa in the living room sloped toward the floor and was not comfortable until we used folded up beach towels to shim up the cushions. They have brand new flat screen tv's in both bedrooms and one in the front room all with dvd players. For some reason we had no phone service from this unit but the wifi was fine. This time it seemed there was a lot more people coming in and staying just one night but the staff is very friendly and helpful. Don't expect the Ritz and you'll enjoy your stay, if you want upscale I recommend finding a different place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 4Rylie
Oregon
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We stayed 2 nights here. This place is right on the beach, probably 50 yards from high tide. The unit had great views, the price was right. Staff was very friendly and helpful. This is an older place, some of the decor is worn. But it was clean and comfortable. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: 10 and 13 have the best views of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We just got back today after stay five nights at The Getaway and it was such a wonderful experience. The only problem we had was with the wifi, but everything else was great. We stayed in unit 1, a two bedroom and it was just the right amount of space. Our two year old son loved going to the beach and enjoyed watching his blu rays on the HD tv. The kitchen was excellent and had everything I needed to prepare all of our meals. The staff was friendly and we always got fresh towels when we needed them.

All in all The Getaway was exactly what my family was looking for, a relaxing beach retreat. I can't wait to visit again next summer!

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

Positives You're on the beach, and with a view of the water. The units are full apartments, so you have a full kitchen. And you're close to all of Rockaway eateries too.

Negatives: Our room neeed some major sprucing up. All the  doors, including the front door, had paint peeling away. Interior had a musty, foul odor coming from the carpet in the living room. It hits you the moment you walk in. The sofa was threadbare in places and had stains the size of a basketball. Cabinets, which had been painted in the past, looked dirty and were blackened in areas from heavy use. The drawers in the kitchen looked filthy and decrepit -- no way I'd touch any of the silverware. All of the windows were dirty and could have used a simple cleaning. While we had a view of the beach, our very large window offered us no privacy since it faced the room walkway -- all the rooms do. So as people come and go from their rooms, everybody is must pass by each room and is offered a clear view nto your  room, so there's no real privacy unless you drawer your blinds.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank JimAngelo
Carolyn S, Manager at The Getaway, responded to this review, 15 July 2015
Hello, my name is Carolyn Steele. Richard and I took over managing The Getaway last November and I'm happy to say that things have improved significantly. We've spent a lot of time hiring competent staff, training them and holding them to a much higher standard than The Getaway's had. We've done a lot of sprucing up and have asked owners to spend some time and money sprucing up their individual units too. We would love the opportunity to have you as a guest again and we'd love for you to post some new pictures!
Please give us another try.
Thanks.
Carolyn
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 16 June 2012

It was ok. Stayed in room 1. The idea of this place was to have a kitchen and cheap sleeping area while we spent our day exploring. Two children with us, five and three. Place had plenty of room, the kids loved it. I rate the place as adverage. Sign of the bill board looking for house cleaner. It showed. Plenty of dog hair and sand to go around and we didn't have a dog and hadn't got our feet in the sand. We questioned ourselves if the sheets were cleaned; wrinkled and had some hairs on them Kitchen was great, used it often. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank cjsan2c
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have been staying at the Getaway for years. We have always had great experiences. I still love the distance to the beach, the cute rooms and the affordable prices but something has been bothering me since our last visit.
We had a great room with more than enough space and an awesome view of the Ocean but I was a little disturbed that one of the pillow cases in one of the rooms had dog hair on it an was dirty. When we got there the room wasn't ready so we waited in the car. I watched a lady(cleaning lady perhaps?) leave our room with her dog and tell us that it was ready for us. I don't expect a spic and span room but I would like to think the bedding is clean.
That wasn't even the worst of the trip though. The rental office of this place smelled very bad. It smelled like a pet had been using the floor of the adjoining room as a bathroom. It was so strong and awful smelling I had to wait outside for my mother to pay for her room. This alone made me question the cleanliness of the room we were staying in. I have never noticed this smell in the office before but it bothered me quite a bit. I would still recommend this place to my friends but I really think the owners should do something about that smell. It's just not very welcoming when you check it.

Room Tip: Anything on a top floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
#3 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Tradewinds Motel
Tradewinds Motel
#4 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to The Getaway? Share your experiences!