“Run. Fast.”
Review of The Getaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockaway Beach
The Getaway
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I take a yearly trip to the coast for our anniversary and decided to stay here because it was close to the beach. We looked at photos and knew we weren't reserving a fancy schmancy place and we were fine with that but what we got was still definitely disappointing.

Check in time? What's that?! We made a long drive to get there and were exhausted and just ready to lay down for a bit. We got there at 3, which was supposed to be the check in time but the room wasn't ready yet. (FIRST RED FLAG!) No apologies or anything for the 40 minute wait and at that point we were just too tired to argue.

It's an older place that needs a lot of updates and care, none of which seems to be a priority which is sad because it could potentially be a really nice place. It just seemed like they forgot there was a reservation and made a last minute effort to clean up for us. I set my bag on the table and practically had to peel it off because there was sticky stuff on it. EW. There are no pictures of the bathroom on the website and there is a good reason for that. I did whatever I could to avoid that room and I'm pretty sure I dehydrated myself while we were there.

We stayed in room #6 which allows pets, and we did bring our dog with us, but the dog odor was really strong. I'm sure they are fully aware of the odor because they definitely emptied an entire can of disgusting air freshner in the room (which took our whole stay to air out, btw). Like I said, it's an old place, this can be overlooked..

They also advertise free, secure WIFI but what they don't tell you is that you only get WIFI if you're standing near the office. Ridiculous.

Just a bunch of minor things that are adding up and making our anniversary trip horrible... but what blew it out of the water? I pulled back the blankets to get into the bed and there were HAIRS in the bed. You know what I'm talking about. BARF BARF BARF. We let management know and had a 40 minute wait for her to bring clean sheets over and then another 30ish minutes for her to make up the bed again! I had completely had it by then, I just wanted to go to sleep so we could wake up and check out. That was before I knew the bed was old and a spring would be poking me in my back all night.

I will say that they tried to make us happy after the hairs were found by letting us look at two other rooms we could switch to (one was disgustingly stinky, and the other had a small bed with hairs in it as well, btw.)

Everything that could go wrong did, and it felt like we were on a prank show. Did I mention that we were sitting there in the living room and the light fixture just fell off of the ceiling? Well, it did. We both want to pretend like this trip never happened, and I want to save you guys the trouble too! RUN!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Janie K

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stayed in #9 for two nights. The unit was very clean and the kitchen was completely equipped. Ocean view, steps to the beach, nice, easy walk down to the main part of town, just perfect. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We saved money by being able to do our own cooking. There were barbeques available for use, although we didn't use them this time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FreshAirOregon
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Getaway Oceanfront Lodging is a great place to stay. The condos are individually owned but managed right there on site.
We had a oceanfront 2 bedroom, one bath #13. The kitchen is a little small and not fully equipped (slotted spoon--no tinfoil, bags, wrap etc, no disinfectant wipes--vacuum--throw blanket--no extra beach stuff). This is not a big deal, just make sure you bring the things you know you want to use, or make a list and get them at the local store like we did.

Clean, okay beds. No closet in one bedroom, but had a tall stack of drawers about 15 inch wide and 4 feet tall. Has a big hall closet you can use, so plenty of space. Has a hair dryer, broom and dust pan, micro, coffee maker, 4 slice toaster, no ice maker but has ice cube trays, leather couch, big table and FABULOUS VIEW!!!! If you want to BBQ make sure to ask the manager and he will get you one. Very helpful and friendly people!

Patio doors off the kitchen to a nice covered deck. It also has a little gate at one end so keeping the kids and the pets in was easy. This also made it easy to come in from the beach, take off the wet or sandy stuff and dry off before going inside.

It is older facility with a few quirks but it is well worth the price and great for family and pets.
What I noticed was how hard the manager worked! He was landscaping, painting, doing laundry, helping any guests with needs....was up late finishing the laundry....hard worker and is doing his best to take care of all the little things that he sees needs TLC. It shows and is why I highly recommend this place. All places at the beach need continual work and this manager is doing what is needed and I believe he will have this place looking better and functioning better everyday he is there. Great Job!!

We would stay here again if it is available. Two nights, $302...great price! So rent early if you want to stay here...it was full!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chatterbox1963
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We have stayed here twice, once last year on Fathers Day weekend and this year 5 days over Easter weekend. The first time we stayed in unit 8, one bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the front room. It was small and a little run down but hey we're at the beach with kids and a dog. The kitchen had everything we needed if we wanted to cook there and the place was clean. Unit 8 doesn't have the best view but the Getaway has great beach access. The second time we stayed we were in unit 11. This unit has a view from the kitchen and living room area that is great. The unit has been updated, the bathroom was pretty small but workable. The sleeper sofa in the living room sloped toward the floor and was not comfortable until we used folded up beach towels to shim up the cushions. They have brand new flat screen tv's in both bedrooms and one in the front room all with dvd players. For some reason we had no phone service from this unit but the wifi was fine. This time it seemed there was a lot more people coming in and staying just one night but the staff is very friendly and helpful. Don't expect the Ritz and you'll enjoy your stay, if you want upscale I recommend finding a different place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 4Rylie
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We stayed 2 nights here. This place is right on the beach, probably 50 yards from high tide. The unit had great views, the price was right. Staff was very friendly and helpful. This is an older place, some of the decor is worn. But it was clean and comfortable. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: 10 and 13 have the best views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We just got back today after stay five nights at The Getaway and it was such a wonderful experience. The only problem we had was with the wifi, but everything else was great. We stayed in unit 1, a two bedroom and it was just the right amount of space. Our two year old son loved going to the beach and enjoyed watching his blu rays on the HD tv. The kitchen was excellent and had everything I needed to prepare all of our meals. The staff was friendly and we always got fresh towels when we needed them.

All in all The Getaway was exactly what my family was looking for, a relaxing beach retreat. I can't wait to visit again next summer!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 15 August 2012 via mobile

Positives You're on the beach, and with a view of the water. The units are full apartments, so you have a full kitchen. And you're close to all of Rockaway eateries too.

Negatives: Our room neeed some major sprucing up. All the  doors, including the front door, had paint peeling away. Interior had a musty, foul odor coming from the carpet in the living room. It hits you the moment you walk in. The sofa was threadbare in places and had stains the size of a basketball. Cabinets, which had been painted in the past, looked dirty and were blackened in areas from heavy use. The drawers in the kitchen looked filthy and decrepit -- no way I'd touch any of the silverware. All of the windows were dirty and could have used a simple cleaning. While we had a view of the beach, our very large window offered us no privacy since it faced the room walkway -- all the rooms do. So as people come and go from their rooms, everybody is must pass by each room and is offered a clear view nto your  room, so there's no real privacy unless you drawer your blinds.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank JimAngelo
Carolyn S, Manager at The Getaway, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2015

Hello, my name is Carolyn Steele. Richard and I took over managing The Getaway last November and I'm happy to say that things have improved significantly. We've spent a lot of time hiring competent staff, training them and holding them to a much higher standard than The Getaway's had. We've done a lot of sprucing up and have asked owners to spend some time and money sprucing up their individual units too. We would love the opportunity to have you as a guest again and we'd love for you to post some new pictures!
Please give us another try.
Thanks.