“the getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Getaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockaway Beach
The Getaway
Portland, Oregon
“the getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

we stayed two nights in room #10. I liked it for what it was. I made sure the room was pet free and smoke free they advised me all rooms are smoke free. the wireless internet pretty much blows on the top floor room #10 also no shampoo/soap for room. over all I liked it but just a few minor things that need adjusted. from what I read I guess room #10 is the best of them all...lol

the room does have a Great view of the ocean/beach

Room Tip: room #10 is the best but don't count too much on wireless internet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Puyallup, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I take a yearly trip to the coast for our anniversary and decided to stay here because it was close to the beach. We looked at photos and knew we weren't reserving a fancy schmancy place and we were fine with that but what we got was still definitely disappointing.

Check in time? What's that?! We made a long drive to get there and were exhausted and just ready to lay down for a bit. We got there at 3, which was supposed to be the check in time but the room wasn't ready yet. (FIRST RED FLAG!) No apologies or anything for the 40 minute wait and at that point we were just too tired to argue.

It's an older place that needs a lot of updates and care, none of which seems to be a priority which is sad because it could potentially be a really nice place. It just seemed like they forgot there was a reservation and made a last minute effort to clean up for us. I set my bag on the table and practically had to peel it off because there was sticky stuff on it. EW. There are no pictures of the bathroom on the website and there is a good reason for that. I did whatever I could to avoid that room and I'm pretty sure I dehydrated myself while we were there.

We stayed in room #6 which allows pets, and we did bring our dog with us, but the dog odor was really strong. I'm sure they are fully aware of the odor because they definitely emptied an entire can of disgusting air freshner in the room (which took our whole stay to air out, btw). Like I said, it's an old place, this can be overlooked..

They also advertise free, secure WIFI but what they don't tell you is that you only get WIFI if you're standing near the office. Ridiculous.

Just a bunch of minor things that are adding up and making our anniversary trip horrible... but what blew it out of the water? I pulled back the blankets to get into the bed and there were HAIRS in the bed. You know what I'm talking about. BARF BARF BARF. We let management know and had a 40 minute wait for her to bring clean sheets over and then another 30ish minutes for her to make up the bed again! I had completely had it by then, I just wanted to go to sleep so we could wake up and check out. That was before I knew the bed was old and a spring would be poking me in my back all night.

I will say that they tried to make us happy after the hairs were found by letting us look at two other rooms we could switch to (one was disgustingly stinky, and the other had a small bed with hairs in it as well, btw.)

Everything that could go wrong did, and it felt like we were on a prank show. Did I mention that we were sitting there in the living room and the light fixture just fell off of the ceiling? Well, it did. We both want to pretend like this trip never happened, and I want to save you guys the trouble too! RUN!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Janie K
Portland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stayed in #9 for two nights. The unit was very clean and the kitchen was completely equipped. Ocean view, steps to the beach, nice, easy walk down to the main part of town, just perfect. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. We saved money by being able to do our own cooking. There were barbeques available for use, although we didn't use them this time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreshAirOregon
Salkum, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Getaway Oceanfront Lodging is a great place to stay. The condos are individually owned but managed right there on site.
We had a oceanfront 2 bedroom, one bath #13. The kitchen is a little small and not fully equipped (slotted spoon--no tinfoil, bags, wrap etc, no disinfectant wipes--vacuum--throw blanket--no extra beach stuff). This is not a big deal, just make sure you bring the things you know you want to use, or make a list and get them at the local store like we did.

Clean, okay beds. No closet in one bedroom, but had a tall stack of drawers about 15 inch wide and 4 feet tall. Has a big hall closet you can use, so plenty of space. Has a hair dryer, broom and dust pan, micro, coffee maker, 4 slice toaster, no ice maker but has ice cube trays, leather couch, big table and FABULOUS VIEW!!!! If you want to BBQ make sure to ask the manager and he will get you one. Very helpful and friendly people!

Patio doors off the kitchen to a nice covered deck. It also has a little gate at one end so keeping the kids and the pets in was easy. This also made it easy to come in from the beach, take off the wet or sandy stuff and dry off before going inside.

It is older facility with a few quirks but it is well worth the price and great for family and pets.
What I noticed was how hard the manager worked! He was landscaping, painting, doing laundry, helping any guests with needs....was up late finishing the laundry....hard worker and is doing his best to take care of all the little things that he sees needs TLC. It shows and is why I highly recommend this place. All places at the beach need continual work and this manager is doing what is needed and I believe he will have this place looking better and functioning better everyday he is there. Great Job!!

We would stay here again if it is available. Two nights, $302...great price! So rent early if you want to stay here...it was full!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chatterbox1963
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

We have stayed here twice, once last year on Fathers Day weekend and this year 5 days over Easter weekend. The first time we stayed in unit 8, one bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the front room. It was small and a little run down but hey we're at the beach with kids and a dog. The kitchen had everything we needed if we wanted to cook there and the place was clean. Unit 8 doesn't have the best view but the Getaway has great beach access. The second time we stayed we were in unit 11. This unit has a view from the kitchen and living room area that is great. The unit has been updated, the bathroom was pretty small but workable. The sleeper sofa in the living room sloped toward the floor and was not comfortable until we used folded up beach towels to shim up the cushions. They have brand new flat screen tv's in both bedrooms and one in the front room all with dvd players. For some reason we had no phone service from this unit but the wifi was fine. This time it seemed there was a lot more people coming in and staying just one night but the staff is very friendly and helpful. Don't expect the Ritz and you'll enjoy your stay, if you want upscale I recommend finding a different place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 4Rylie
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

We stayed 2 nights here. This place is right on the beach, probably 50 yards from high tide. The unit had great views, the price was right. Staff was very friendly and helpful. This is an older place, some of the decor is worn. But it was clean and comfortable. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: 10 and 13 have the best views of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

We just got back today after stay five nights at The Getaway and it was such a wonderful experience. The only problem we had was with the wifi, but everything else was great. We stayed in unit 1, a two bedroom and it was just the right amount of space. Our two year old son loved going to the beach and enjoyed watching his blu rays on the HD tv. The kitchen was excellent and had everything I needed to prepare all of our meals. The staff was friendly and we always got fresh towels when we needed them.

All in all The Getaway was exactly what my family was looking for, a relaxing beach retreat. I can't wait to visit again next summer!

• Stayed September 2012
#4 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Sea Haven Motel
Sea Haven Motel
#2 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to The Getaway? Share your experiences!