Rockaway Beach Resort
Surfside Resort(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$79
Tradewinds Motel(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
US$130
Sea Haven Motel(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
US$123
US$91
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$133
  • Pool
Sea Treasures Inn(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
US$96
Whale Watcher Inn(Rockaway Beach)
All reviewssouth buildingan indoor hot tubrecreation roomtillamook cheese factoryrci exchangemurphy bedoregon coastliving roomcrashing wavescrabgreat oceanno elevatorunitsdeckofficemicrowavefireplace
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just got back from a one week stay at the RBR (on an RCI exchange). I booked this last year not really caring much about the resort other than the fact that it was on the Oregon coast and that the unit (a one bedroom) had two bathrooms as my husband and I vacation with my brother. We normally travel to the southeastern United States or Mexico but wanted something a little closer to home this time. What a great surprise.

Rockaway Beach is a small town not only in population but also in how compact the downtown area is. The resort is located oceanfront on a long and really wide stretch of beautiful soft sand. This combination makes virtually everything in town accessible by a leisurely walk down the beach. The resort is within 6 blocks of the market (very expensive but handy for emergency purchases), and restaurants including Lakeview Hideaway, Grumpys Café, Cow Belle, Sand Dollar, Dos Rocas, Old Smokehouse and three or four others. Also, there are a couple of coffee hut drive-thrus just across the tracks.

We arrived at 5:00 p.m., checked in and went up to our room with our luggage and some groceries. Our room was still being cleaned. We have encountered this at other resorts however have not been treated as rudely as we were by the housekeeping staff here. Normally, if our room is not cleaned by check in time, the staff are apologetic and perfectly happy to have us put our luggage in a part of the room that has been cleaned and put our groceries in the fridge. Here however we were asked how we got our keys, were told we could not access the room. After we made it quite clear that we were not hauling our stuff back down to our vehicle and that we had gotten the keys from the front desk, housekeeping called down to the front desk and expressed their displeasure that we had been allowed to check in.

I was not surprised by this unfriendly customer service as I had received similar treatment from front desk staff on two occasions when I had phoned to ask some questions about the resort. We also continued to encounter this when interacting with front office staff during our stay. Management should invest some time and training in this area and on reminding the staff that they are employed in customer service roles in the hospitality industry.

Now that that is out of the way, let me tell you the good stuff.

I was amazed at the size of the unit we were in. I was concerned prior to arriving (after looking at photos) that our unit might be cramped, but it was very spacious and provided a small but functional kitchen. The view was spectacular and we spent many hours on our balcony enjoying the views. The ocean is very shallow there and as such you have the constant surf sounds. It was wonderful.

The beds were both comfortable (queen in the bedroom and queen murphy bed in the living room). The dining table provided a great space for eating and playing games (which they have available for sign out) and the dining chairs were very comfortable-upholstered with casters for easy mobility.

Patio furniture was limited. They only provide two deck chairs in a unit that can accommodate up to 6 people but there are other chairs available (designated as beach chairs) that you can take to your unit. It would be nice if they provided a couple of small tables for on the deck.

The resort is kept very clean. Unlike other resorts we have stayed at, this resort supplied paper towel, toilet paper, dish and hand soaps and salt throughout the stay.

All in all a great resort in a great area.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms may not have much of a view due to tall beach grasses. Buildings are three stories with stair access to different floors-no elevators. North building has balconies.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank fotograferswife
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Facility was clean and in a great location. Walking right out onto the sand was a real plus. The beach view was terrific. Comfortable beds and lots of hot water in the showers :) Local shops are within walking distance.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have a great beach view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LLP1957
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We didn't know what to expect when we booked the rooms. The property is an older property but was clean with a terrific view of the beach. The price we paid was well worth it and I'd go back in a second. Very courteous and helpful staff. It's not the Ritz and that was OK..

Room Tip: Definitely get the beach view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rick G
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were looking to get a break from the action in Portland and found this place to unwind.
Lots of long walks on the beach and fresh air was just what we needed. Great shopping and dining choices close by. There is lots of space to decompress.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor with a beautiful view of the beach. Sleeps 4 with cooking facilities
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carol R
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

This is definitely one of my favorite places I've ever visited. It's right on the beach, the rooms are great, and the owners are wonderful. They have a nice collection of movies and board games to choose from. My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2012