“Great Value, Great Amenities, Great View, Great Stay!”
Review of Tradewinds Motel

Tradewinds Motel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rockaway Beach
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Came here alone to relax a bit in April. Got the 2nd floor oceanside room with the kitchenette, fireplace and great balcony. Being April, I was expecting unpredictable weather and was a bit worried that the room may be cold. But between the fantastic presto-logs (I got a 2nd one per night's stay) and the very adequate heater, I was toasty warm through a rain/hail/wind storm. I brought my own food from Tillamook and the local store to prepare in the very nicely equipped kitchen and extra bonus points for providing a tea kettle as opposed to the usual hotel response to tea drinkers: just boil the water through the coffeemaker... you don't mind coffee-ized tea, do you? Decor a tad tatty but I'd take some unglued wallpaper over paying more money at some hotel chain any day. Beach is right there and easy to access, 'downtown' is an easy 15-minute beach walk way, the hotel staff are accommodating and I loved the shower and hot water. The internet connection is great, too. Like it so much, I'm staying another two nights. Suggestion, though: if you're coming during storm season, you may want to bring some ear plugs. Horizontal rain against the windows can be noticeable but the fireplace dampers dancing around in the wind can be a bit irksome. Snagged some earplugs off some nice construction guys in town and now I'm ready for anything!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 September 2009

We checked into our room and the first thing I noticed was the musty smell in the room, I said well maybe its because were right next to the ocean. The veiw was great so we over looked the smell. The next morning we went sightseeing, left before 11:30 am got back about 2:30 walked into our room and nothing had been done, no housekeeping , I call the front desk and ask why nothing was done, she told me that if we didn't leave before 12:00 you would not get any serivce. I told her that we gone before 11:30, she told me sorry but there was nothing she could do. she did bring clean towels. We will not stay there again. We love Rockaway Beach we'll stay some place else.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

My wife and I spent a weekend at the Tradewinds Motel near the end of August and really enjoyed it. Rockaway is on a comparitively quiet part of the north Oregon coast and has a lovely expanse of beach. The room had a nice, comfortable king bed, a kitchenette,table, chairs,a small balcony, with a couple of chairs and a perfect view of the ocean.
When we weren't exploring Rockaway and other parts of the north coast, we sat on the balcony or walked along the beach; I love the roar of the ocean so it was perfect. Needless to say, the fact there was no A/C wasn''t a problem as, although the weather was perfect, it wasn't hot enough to require it.
As a travel agent, I have booked with Neil many times and it was nice to finally meet him and stay there. If you're looking for an alternative oceanfront motel, this is it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

The queen size mattress was so lumpy that everytime you rolled over you almost rolled out on to the floor. The shower value took a mechanical degree to figure out how to turn the water off and on.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hamara
Reviewed 26 October 2008

It poured the entire two days we were at Rockaway Beach but we still enjoyed it. The fireplace was a wonderful treat on the damp chilly evenings and the view from the balcony of breakers and wind blown sand was amazing. The decor is a bit tatty but everything worked and it was clean. Large rooms with kitchen areas with the possibility of opening up two connecting rooms.
Staff were helpful and friendly.

Just a suggestion...take food with you. The store is very limited.

1  Thank Locheriboll
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Came to this website before planning trip & it was worth it. We stayed over Memorial weekend & still only paid $139. Off season, it's probably one of the best deals around. Front of hotel was under construction but we were in back on 2nd floor. You open your back sliding door & the ocean is literally right there! Has great fireplace and kitchen area and a very generous sized room. Not the Ritz (rooms could use some updating) but still worth every penny. Owner was very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sactocandy
Reviewed 28 June 2008

We got to Tradewinds and were greeted warmly by the staff. On first entrance to the room, we were thrilled. Absolutely what we wanted but were surprised with more. We knew the room would have an ocean view, and it did. An 8' by 10' wide sliding door with the waves crashing on the beach just below our balcony (ask for the second floor!). What we didn't know was that we would have a fireplace and small kitchen area in the room (perfect for storing the pizza from Upper Crust just across the street.) This is the PERFECT place for a relaxing and beautiful getaway or vacation. Definitely spring for the ocean view. This is a much better value than others in the area and up north in Seaside.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank evan4tpt
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
#3 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Tradewinds Motel? Share your experiences!